Posted to alt.home.repair
spudnuty

Default Is there anything wrong with batteries sold at dollar stores?

SJF wrote:
I have a cordless mouse. It has a constant standby drain even when the
computer is turned off. I get a month of use with alkalines, a week with
1800 mah. NiMh. NiMh go dead quickly below about 1.2 volts. There is a lot
of life left in an alkaline below that level. So, in some devices, alkaline
will be more convenient even though more expensive to use. But some digital
cameras will not function when the voltage drops below 1.2 and using
alkalines leads to quick frustration.

Some cameras have a menu select for the type of battery being used. I'm
thinking of a Nikon I worked on.
Otherwise I use rechargeable Alkalines for my wireless headphones that
need the higher voltage. Fully charged the batteries are 1.68 Volts. I
have 4 and use 2 at a time. I bought the charger and batteries for a $1
at a garage sale. They're not supposed to have the current capacity of
NiMHs, NiCADs or LiPolys but they work fine and can't beat the price.
Richard