Posted to alt.home.repair
George E. Cawthon

Default Is there anything wrong with batteries sold at dollar stores?

Steve B wrote:
"miamicuse" wrote in message

A typical 8 pack AA batteries at a drug store may run around $7 or $9. But
at the dollar store you can find 8 packs for only $1 with brands like
"Panasonic". What is the difference? I am sure Duracells last longer,
but
does it last 8 times longer?

MC

I watched one of the "news" programs a couple of years ago. They tested
batteries. All kinds. The ones that sell for a lot because they have all
that advertising to pay for. The ones that you find at the Dollar Store
that have Japanese writing you can't read.

They said for alkaline batteries, buy whatever's on sale. There's a huge
difference between $9 at the regular stores and $1 at the dollar stores.
But only in price. Just like the leather cell phone cases. $1 at the
Dollar Store, $20 at the mall. Similar cases. Enough so that I buy six at
a time when I find them at the Dollar store. I bought two at the mall
before I found the Dollar store. The first broke (plastic) within a week.
The other lasted as long as these $1 ones do.

Batteries at the Dollar Store are a steal. Add up the time they last.
Factor in cost. A deal.

I do believe alkaline batteries lose 2% per month, so watch dates if they
have any. Take a tester with you, and test them.

Steve

Alkalines do not loose 2% per month, maybe you are
thinking of rechargeable batteries. They maintain
their charge much longer than other batteries.
Fresh alkalines typically have a use by date that
is at least 3 years in the future.

Here are some actual data not conjectu

Use in my two smoke alarms is typically 2-1/2
years before sounding the low battery noise, and
never less than 2 years. Use in a tv controller
that is used a lot is never less than 2 years. I
buy AAA, AA, C, and 9V copper tops in Costco
packages which take a long time to use up.
Recently, my replacement batteries had a date of
2003 (which means the batteries were made no
sooner than 2001 and the voltages read from 1.59
to 1.61V. That means these unused batteries were
still at full power after 5 years. As a point of
interest some appliances quit working when the
voltage drops below 1.25V.