Posted to alt.home.repair
dnoyeB

Default Is there anything wrong with batteries sold at dollar stores?

SJF wrote:
"Avery" wrote in message

On Thu, 29 Dec 2005 01:30:13 -0500, "miamicuse"
wrote:

A typical 8 pack AA batteries at a drug store may run around $7 or $9.
But
at the dollar store you can find 8 packs for only $1 with brands like
"Panasonic". What is the difference? I am sure Duracells last longer,
but
does it last 8 times longer?

MC

I have given up on buying these things.

Get a charger and some NiMH recharables in the size you want. I'm a
fairly heavy user - digital cameras etc, and they pay for themseves
in a few months. Also a 2500 mAh rechargeable will last a whole lot
longer than an alkaline cell in any appliance.

I have a cordless mouse. It has a constant standby drain even when the
computer is turned off. I get a month of use with alkalines, a week with
1800 mah. NiMh. NiMh go dead quickly below about 1.2 volts. There is a lot
of life left in an alkaline below that level. So, in some devices, alkaline
will be more convenient even though more expensive to use. But some digital
cameras will not function when the voltage drops below 1.2 and using
alkalines leads to quick frustration.

SJF

I use nimh all over my house. Only time I don't use rechargables is in
trickle drain things like smoke detectors. AA are everywhere and I keep
tons of them. In 2 years only 1 has gone bad. Thats much better for
the environment than having thrown away 50+ by now otherwise.

NiMh tend to drain when stored whereas NiCD can last longer between
uses. NiCD are supposed to have stronger current delivering capacity.
youll have to test to see which gives the most live in a particular
usage. For a camera, you will have to be sure to charge the nimh
whereas lithium has longer shelf life without charge i believe.

--
Thank you,