Posted to alt.home.repair
46erjoe

Default Anybody ever wallpaper a ceiling?

The guy that dry-walled the ceiling in my house did a bad job. Under
certain lighting conditions, you can see the joints. I was thinking of
wallpapering the entire ceiling with a white raised pattern surface
paper. Am I asking for trouble? Will it even stick? Are there easier,
less-messy alternatives?
Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Kanter

"46erjoe" wrote in message
The guy that dry-walled the ceiling in my house did a bad job. Under
certain lighting conditions, you can see the joints. I was thinking of
wallpapering the entire ceiling with a white raised pattern surface
paper. Am I asking for trouble? Will it even stick? Are there easier,
less-messy alternatives?

Please take a few years to think about this terrible idea. You'll be happy
you did. :-) There *has* to be a better way.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Rick Brandt

"46erjoe" wrote in message
The guy that dry-walled the ceiling in my house did a bad job. Under
certain lighting conditions, you can see the joints. I was thinking of
wallpapering the entire ceiling with a white raised pattern surface
paper. Am I asking for trouble? Will it even stick? Are there easier,
less-messy alternatives?

We used the raised paper that is patterned to resemble a tin ceiling in our
kitchen. It is difficult to put up, but we were really happy with it when we
were finished.

You just have to keep going over it a bit more with the brush than you would on
a wall, but then the adhesive reaches a point where it starts to hold. It would
be easier with scaffolding so you could easily walk the length of a sheet with
the brush.

We did a smallish kitchen. I don't think I would want to do a large room or
whole house.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

"46erjoe" wrote in message
The guy that dry-walled the ceiling in my house did a bad job. Under
certain lighting conditions, you can see the joints. I was thinking of
wallpapering the entire ceiling with a white raised pattern surface
paper. Am I asking for trouble? Will it even stick? Are there easier,
less-messy alternatives?

Many years ago, virtually all ceilings were papered Most had a light
pattern and, of course, were white or nearly white.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony Hwang

46erjoe wrote:
The guy that dry-walled the ceiling in my house did a bad job. Under
certain lighting conditions, you can see the joints. I was thinking of
wallpapering the entire ceiling with a white raised pattern surface
paper. Am I asking for trouble? Will it even stick? Are there easier,
less-messy alternatives?

Hi,
You mean you don't have texture sprayed ceiling? I never heard of
ceiling paper!
Tony
Posted to alt.home.repair
Robertm

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message
46erjoe wrote:
The guy that dry-walled the ceiling in my house did a bad job. Under
certain lighting conditions, you can see the joints. I was thinking of
wallpapering the entire ceiling with a white raised pattern surface
paper. Am I asking for trouble? Will it even stick? Are there easier,
less-messy alternatives?

Hi,
You mean you don't have texture sprayed ceiling? I never heard of
ceiling paper!
Tony

Elvis...Graceland, burgundy I think.

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message
Hi,
You mean you don't have texture sprayed ceiling? I never heard of
ceiling paper!
Tony

How old are you? Most houses had it in the days before about 1960 or so.

Posted to alt.home.repair
46erjoe

The house is over a hundred years old, but it was gutted and rehabbed
in 85. I'm hesitant about textured paint because it collects dust and
I've found it hard to clean and if it ever needs repainting, it's
gonna be a bear.

On Tue, 27 Dec 2005 02:44:44 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrotF:

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message
Hi,
You mean you don't have texture sprayed ceiling? I never heard of
ceiling paper!
Tony

How old are you? Most houses had it in the days before about 1960 or so.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony Hwang

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message

Hi,
You mean you don't have texture sprayed ceiling? I never heard of
ceiling paper!
Tony

How old are you? Most houses had it in the days before about 1960 or so.

Hi,
Officially senior. Hardly ever lived in an old house. I had always my
house built. Now there is paint made for textured looking. I think
painting would be deasier than papering.
Tony

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joey

I agree with one poster here, I saw it at Graceland in Memphis. Persons
in the drywall business have a secret for covering these type of seams
that don't come out right. They take a texture sprayer and spray either
texture or drywall mud that has been thinned down. Some even let that
dry and pass a plastic knife over it to flatten it out. But ceiling
paper ??? It didn't look good even in Elvis's house !!! He even had
green carpet in the walls and ceiling !!!

46erjoe wrote:

The guy that dry-walled the ceiling in my house did a bad job. Under
certain lighting conditions, you can see the joints. I was thinking of
wallpapering the entire ceiling with a white raised pattern surface
paper. Am I asking for trouble? Will it even stick? Are there easier,
less-messy alternatives?

Posted to alt.home.repair
dadiOH

46erjoe wrote:
The guy that dry-walled the ceiling in my house did a bad job. Under
certain lighting conditions, you can see the joints. I was thinking of
wallpapering the entire ceiling with a white raised pattern surface
paper. Am I asking for trouble? Will it even stick? Are there easier,
less-messy alternatives?

Will it stick? Sure.

Are you asking for trouble? Well, you are asking for a mountain of
frustration if you try to DIY. Hire a paper hanger if you do it.

--
dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to alt.home.repair
calhoun

"46erjoe" wrote in message
The guy that dry-walled the ceiling in my house did a bad job. Under
certain lighting conditions, you can see the joints. I was thinking of
wallpapering the entire ceiling with a white raised pattern surface
paper. Am I asking for trouble? Will it even stick? Are there easier,
less-messy alternatives?

If you want a papered ceiling yes paper will work on ceilings.
If you are just concerned about seeing the seams than just get a good taper
and retape the seems. A lot cheaper and less mess than either texture or
paper.
You are not using a semigloss paint on your ceiling are you? That will
really show up any imperfection.

Posted to alt.home.repair
m Ransley

Canvas was a standard feature on all homes in my area, 80 yr old quality
plaster and lath. There are many options of which I feel texture is the
ugliest. There are even patterned papers designed for paint. You need a
real pro for quality no seam paper jobs one who "double cuts" seams so
they are nonexistant, even then its a lost art and seam failure is a
possibility in the future. Why not get the drywaller back.

Posted to alt.home.repair

My 1950 house had wallpaper on the ceilings. I can't imagine why.
I've removed a lot of it already.

Posted to alt.home.repair

So, have him finish the taping job. Or have someone who can, do it.

You'll be so glad you didn't put paper up there.

And ... I know just how big a job and mess it can be to remove old
crappy paper from a ceiling and make things right. Don't set yourself
up to go there.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Marc

46erjoe wrote:

The guy that dry-walled the ceiling in my house did a bad job. Under
certain lighting conditions, you can see the joints. I was thinking of
wallpapering the entire ceiling with a white raised pattern surface
paper. Am I asking for trouble? Will it even stick? Are there easier,
less-messy alternatives?

What about plain old ceiling tiles? They come in different textures and
styles. They're pretty easy to install yourself.

As an aside, I think the norm is to do a lousy job wallboarding ceilings
nowadays. A friend just had a house built and you can see most of the
joints. He talked to a few other people and they just shrug and say that's
the way it is today. What happened to craftsmanship? It got lost in blank
ink.

--
--Marc

Posted to alt.home.repair
Commander

The '87 house we live in has mildly textured and painted sheetrock
ceilings. In some of the rooms the work is excellent, in others there
is uneveness and joints show. Someone was doing good work and another
wasn't.
Another option is tin panels. I saw them installed on tv a few years
ago.They are like ceiling tiles, but interlock and attach to firring
strips. There are different patterns available and it would be more
durable. The finished product was too formal and dressy for my taste,
but causes me to think there must be other types of ceiling coverings
also.

--
Commander
Commander's Profile: http://www.HomeOutfit.com/member.php?userid=137

pool pump [email protected] Home Repair 144 December 10th 05 02:01 AM
Ceiling Fan Steve Home Repair 0 August 7th 05 05:59 PM
Wallpaper removal not going so well... Liz Home Ownership 8 May 17th 04 05:33 AM
Extending electrical box on ceiling fixtures?? Ray Home Repair 3 November 23rd 03 01:50 AM
Painting of ceiling... Marcus Fox UK diy 2 November 7th 03 07:15 PM