Posted to alt.home.repair
Jean

Default painting baseboard, how to shield carpet

The baseboards in my house are flush with the slab and the carpet is
butted up against the baseboard. I need to repaint the baseboards to the
maximum possible depth. Does anyone have a tried method of getting the
carpet away from the baseboard so that as much baseboard as possible is
exposed?

I've tried a couple methods (wedging cardboard in between the baseboard
and wall, and wedging painter's tape in between the baseboard and wall)
but both methods take forever to do and don't really expose that much
more of the baseboard normal.

Any help would be greatly appreciated-

Jean
Posted to alt.home.repair
Spam Me Knot

HD or Lowes has long plastic shields that can be wedged between the
carpet and the baseboard to allow you to paint the entire surface.
works pretty well. jim

Jean wrote:

The baseboards in my house are flush with the slab and the carpet is
butted up against the baseboard. I need to repaint the baseboards to
the maximum possible depth. Does anyone have a tried method of getting
the carpet away from the baseboard so that as much baseboard as
possible is exposed?

I've tried a couple methods (wedging cardboard in between the
baseboard and wall, and wedging painter's tape in between the
baseboard and wall) but both methods take forever to do and don't
really expose that much more of the baseboard normal.

Any help would be greatly appreciated-

Jean

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob Vaughan

In article et,
Spam Me Knot wrote:
HD or Lowes has long plastic shields that can be wedged between the
carpet and the baseboard to allow you to paint the entire surface.
works pretty well. jim

Slats from old venetian blinds also work well.

Jean wrote:

The baseboards in my house are flush with the slab and the carpet is
butted up against the baseboard. I need to repaint the baseboards to
the maximum possible depth. Does anyone have a tried method of getting
the carpet away from the baseboard so that as much baseboard as
possible is exposed?

I've tried a couple methods (wedging cardboard in between the
baseboard and wall, and wedging painter's tape in between the
baseboard and wall) but both methods take forever to do and don't
really expose that much more of the baseboard normal.

Any help would be greatly appreciated-

Jean

Bob Vaughan | techie @ tantivy.net |
| P.O. Box 19792, Stanford, Ca 94309 |
-- I am Me, I am only Me, And no one else is Me, What could be simpler? --
Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub

Jean wrote:
The baseboards in my house are flush with the slab and the carpet is
butted up against the baseboard. I need to repaint the baseboards to
the maximum possible depth. Does anyone have a tried method of
getting the carpet away from the baseboard so that as much baseboard
as possible is exposed?

I've tried a couple methods (wedging cardboard in between the
baseboard and wall, and wedging painter's tape in between the
baseboard and wall) but both methods take forever to do and don't
really expose that much more of the baseboard normal.

Any help would be greatly appreciated-

Use a reciprocating saw to cut through the nails holding the baseboards to
the wall. Take baseboards outside and paint. Re-nail baseboards.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jean wrote:
The baseboards in my house are flush with the slab and the carpet is
butted up against the baseboard. I need to repaint the baseboards to the
maximum possible depth. Does anyone have a tried method of getting the
carpet away from the baseboard so that as much baseboard as possible is
exposed?

I've tried a couple methods (wedging cardboard in between the baseboard
and wall, and wedging painter's tape in between the baseboard and wall)
but both methods take forever to do and don't really expose that much
more of the baseboard normal.

Any help would be greatly appreciated-

Jean

I use a trim guard. Works like a champ. Very efficient way to paint
baseboards.
Here's the one I use:
http://www.mainstsupply.com/product.cfm/5/68/56827

-Felder

Posted to alt.home.repair
Jean

Jean wrote:

The baseboards in my house are flush with the slab and the carpet is
butted up against the baseboard. I need to repaint the baseboards to
the maximum possible depth. Does anyone have a tried method of getting
the carpet away from the baseboard so that as much baseboard as
possible is exposed?

I've tried a couple methods (wedging cardboard in between the
baseboard and wall, and wedging painter's tape in between the
baseboard and wall) but both methods take forever to do and don't
really expose that much more of the baseboard normal.

Any help would be greatly appreciated-

Jean

I have a trim guard and, if I hold it between the carpet and baseboard,
I could paint the entire depth of the baseboard. But I'd have to hold it
until the paint dried or else the carpet would flip back and touch the
painted section.

Jean
Posted to alt.home.repair
Jean

Bob Vaughan wrote:
In article et,
Spam Me Knot wrote:

HD or Lowes has long plastic shields that can be wedged between the
carpet and the baseboard to allow you to paint the entire surface.
works pretty well. jim

Slats from old venetian blinds also work well.

I've thought about using slats ...just wish I could find some that were
more than 1 inch. Maybe I'll give this a shot though. Thanks.

Jean wrote:

The baseboards in my house are flush with the slab and the carpet is
butted up against the baseboard. I need to repaint the baseboards to
the maximum possible depth. Does anyone have a tried method of getting
the carpet away from the baseboard so that as much baseboard as
possible is exposed?

I've tried a couple methods (wedging cardboard in between the
baseboard and wall, and wedging painter's tape in between the
baseboard and wall) but both methods take forever to do and don't
really expose that much more of the baseboard normal.

Any help would be greatly appreciated-

Jean

Posted to alt.home.repair
Dan Espen

Spam Me Knot writes:

HD or Lowes has long plastic shields that can be wedged between the
carpet and the baseboard to allow you to paint the entire surface.
works pretty well. jim

I have a scrap piece of formica countertop material I use
for the same purpose.

Jean wrote:

The baseboards in my house are flush with the slab and the carpet is
butted up against the baseboard. I need to repaint the baseboards to
the maximum possible depth. Does anyone have a tried method of
getting the carpet away from the baseboard so that as much baseboard
as possible is exposed?

I've tried a couple methods (wedging cardboard in between the
baseboard and wall, and wedging painter's tape in between the
baseboard and wall) but both methods take forever to do and don't
really expose that much more of the baseboard normal.

Any help would be greatly appreciated-

Jean

Posted to alt.home.repair
46erjoe

Lengths of vinyl siding. Sometimes you can get scrap pieces from
broken lots at Lowe's.

On Sun, 25 Dec 2005 18:26:42 -0500, Jean wrotF:

The baseboards in my house are flush with the slab and the carpet is
butted up against the baseboard. I need to repaint the baseboards to the
maximum possible depth. Does anyone have a tried method of getting the
carpet away from the baseboard so that as much baseboard as possible is
exposed?

I've tried a couple methods (wedging cardboard in between the baseboard
and wall, and wedging painter's tape in between the baseboard and wall)
but both methods take forever to do and don't really expose that much
more of the baseboard normal.

Any help would be greatly appreciated-

Jean

Posted to alt.home.repair
Keith Williams

In article ,
says...
Keith Williams wrote:
In article ,

says...

The baseboards in my house are flush with the slab and the carpet is
butted up against the baseboard. I need to repaint the baseboards to the
maximum possible depth. Does anyone have a tried method of getting the
carpet away from the baseboard so that as much baseboard as possible is
exposed?

I've tried a couple methods (wedging cardboard in between the baseboard
and wall, and wedging painter's tape in between the baseboard and wall)
but both methods take forever to do and don't really expose that much
more of the baseboard normal.

Any help would be greatly appreciated-

Most of my house has no baseboards so the painted walls go all the
way down to the carpet. I didn't have much luck with the painting
shields but have done pretty well with masking tape. The blue
stuff is even better. I use a 10" spakleing knife to pull the
carpet away from the wall and then slide the tape down the wall,
pull the knife,and fold the tape over the carpet. When I've done
the whole wall I go back with another width of tape and pull the
first tape back away from the wall.

I tried this (although with a smaller knife) and I had a terrible time
keeping the tape from sticking to the knife and the baseboard ...can you
explain a bit more how you do this?

Carefully. ;-) I slide the tape down the wall to the knife, trying
not to get it stuck to the knife. The tape doesn't really need to
go all the way to the floor since the piece(s) of tape behind the
first pull the nap back away from the wall. I also use shortish
pieces of tape for the first row. Again, the blue tape works
better than the white "painter's" or yellow masking tape.

It takes time and some small amount of patience but it's worked out
*much* better than the shields for me. I'm sure this is a personal
thing though. They do sell the shields to someone. ;-)

--
Keith

Posted to alt.home.repair
Dave Combs

I missed earlier threads on this subject however, for years I've used either
a special carpet paint guide (curved piece of steel/aluminum about 12" long)
or a 6-8" wide plastering spatula.

"46erjoe" wrote in message
Lengths of vinyl siding. Sometimes you can get scrap pieces from
broken lots at Lowe's.

On Sun, 25 Dec 2005 18:26:42 -0500, Jean wrotF:

The baseboards in my house are flush with the slab and the carpet is
butted up against the baseboard. I need to repaint the baseboards to the
maximum possible depth. Does anyone have a tried method of getting the
carpet away from the baseboard so that as much baseboard as possible is
exposed?

I've tried a couple methods (wedging cardboard in between the baseboard
and wall, and wedging painter's tape in between the baseboard and wall)
but both methods take forever to do and don't really expose that much
more of the baseboard normal.

Any help would be greatly appreciated-

Jean

Posted to alt.home.repair
J.C.

I've used slats from old venetian blinds.

"46erjoe" wrote in message
Lengths of vinyl siding. Sometimes you can get scrap pieces from
broken lots at Lowe's.

On Sun, 25 Dec 2005 18:26:42 -0500, Jean wrotF:

The baseboards in my house are flush with the slab and the carpet is
butted up against the baseboard. I need to repaint the baseboards to the
maximum possible depth. Does anyone have a tried method of getting the
carpet away from the baseboard so that as much baseboard as possible is
exposed?

I've tried a couple methods (wedging cardboard in between the baseboard
and wall, and wedging painter's tape in between the baseboard and wall)
but both methods take forever to do and don't really expose that much
more of the baseboard normal.

Any help would be greatly appreciated-

Jean

"Draft Carpet Cleaning FAQ for comments" david lang UK diy 7 November 20th 05 07:29 PM
Carpet Cleaning FAQ david lang UK diy 6 November 20th 05 02:05 AM
Painting molding near carpet Doug Kanter Home Repair 16 July 6th 05 12:25 PM
Carpet problems, please help [email protected] Home Repair 11 January 10th 05 10:31 PM
What to do with Wet Carpet in a house? TURTLE Home Repair 23 March 4th 04 02:17 AM