Doug Kanter

Default Painting molding near carpet

I know - it should be done before the carpet goes down, but in one room, I
don't have a choice at the moment. Anyone have any amazing tricks to avoid
getting paint on the carpet while painting the molding? I've already
imagined some schemes with the blue tape, but I'm open to new ideas, or to
someone else doing the job. (Teenage son says "Me?")

Tom

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message
I know - it should be done before the carpet goes down, but in one room, I
don't have a choice at the moment. Anyone have any amazing tricks to avoid
getting paint on the carpet while painting the molding? I've already
imagined some schemes with the blue tape, but I'm open to new ideas, or to
someone else doing the job. (Teenage son says "Me?")

I've had good luck using the widest drywall mud knife I can find. I slip
that under the molding, over the carpet and paint a short section.
Important to wipe the knife off before inserting it for the next section and
not to paint too close to the either end of the blade. They also make a
long knife similar to this for wall papering that is suppose to be good for
this but I've had no luck with one of those as it doesn't stick out far
enough from the molding when inserted and paint gets all over it and then on
the carpet when re inserted. Also the mud knife has a much longer handle
making it easier to use.
Tom.

Hound Dog

wrote in message
On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 11:36:11 GMT, "Doug Kanter"
wrote:

I know - it should be done before the carpet goes down, but in one room, I
don't have a choice at the moment. Anyone have any amazing tricks to avoid
getting paint on the carpet while painting the molding? I've already
imagined some schemes with the blue tape, but I'm open to new ideas, or to
someone else doing the job. (Teenage son says "Me?")

If your paint is molding you have a moisture problem. Is the carpet
wet? Is this a poured concrete floor. You got water leaking in
somewhere. You will need to find the leak and fix it. After that,
use some KILZ to stop the mold after scrubbing the area first.

He wants to paint MOLDING not MOLDY MOLDING.

Clark Griswold

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message
I know - it should be done before the carpet goes down, but in one room, I
don't have a choice at the moment. Anyone have any amazing tricks to avoid
getting paint on the carpet while painting the molding? I've already
imagined some schemes with the blue tape, but I'm open to new ideas, or to
someone else doing the job. (Teenage son says "Me?")

I've had good luck pulling the carpet up along the wall.

Doug Kanter wrote:
I know - it should be done before the carpet goes down, but in one room, I
don't have a choice at the moment. Anyone have any amazing tricks to avoid
getting paint on the carpet while painting the molding? I've already
imagined some schemes with the blue tape, but I'm open to new ideas, or to
someone else doing the job. (Teenage son says "Me?")

i use a gloss coated cardboard (like the boxes shirts come in) and cut
these in strips. i slide them under the moulding around the entire
perimiter and paint away. affer a couple of coats i score the area
where the card board meets the moulding and remove. a bit more prep
time but flawless every time. beats wiping off a putty knife each time
i remove it.

good luck

barbarow

Two ways that have worked for me:

Slide some aluminum flashing between the rug and the molding; paint and
remove flashing when paint dries.

Or remove molding paint it outside and replace when paint dries

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message
I know - it should be done before the carpet goes down, but in one room, I
don't have a choice at the moment. Anyone have any amazing tricks to avoid
getting paint on the carpet while painting the molding? I've already
imagined some schemes with the blue tape, but I'm open to new ideas, or to
someone else doing the job. (Teenage son says "Me?")

Doug Kanter

wrote in message
oups.com...

Doug Kanter wrote:
I know - it should be done before the carpet goes down, but in one room,
don't have a choice at the moment. Anyone have any amazing tricks to
avoid
getting paint on the carpet while painting the molding? I've already
imagined some schemes with the blue tape, but I'm open to new ideas, or
someone else doing the job. (Teenage son says "Me?")

i use a gloss coated cardboard (like the boxes shirts come in) and cut
these in strips. i slide them under the moulding around the entire
perimiter and paint away. affer a couple of coats i score the area
where the card board meets the moulding and remove. a bit more prep
time but flawless every time. beats wiping off a putty knife each time
i remove it.

good luck

Good idea. There's a box store nearby that sells white gift boxes - the kind
they give you at department stores around christmas. Sounds like the same
thing, and much cheaper than going out and buying 26 shirts. :-)

Doug Kanter

"barbarow" wrote in message
Two ways that have worked for me:

Slide some aluminum flashing between the rug and the molding; paint and
remove flashing when paint dries.

Or remove molding paint it outside and replace when paint dries

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message
I know - it should be done before the carpet goes down, but in one room, I
don't have a choice at the moment. Anyone have any amazing tricks to avoid
getting paint on the carpet while painting the molding? I've already
imagined some schemes with the blue tape, but I'm open to new ideas, or to
someone else doing the job. (Teenage son says "Me?")

Thanks. I considered removing the moulding (spelling it correctly now), but
these are plaster walls. I'm very good at repairing plastic, but....I'd
rather not do it again. :-)

Tony Hwang

Doug Kanter wrote:
I know - it should be done before the carpet goes down, but in one room, I
don't have a choice at the moment. Anyone have any amazing tricks to avoid
getting paint on the carpet while painting the molding? I've already
imagined some schemes with the blue tape, but I'm open to new ideas, or to
someone else doing the job. (Teenage son says "Me?")

Hi,
To be 100% safe? I'd rather remove the moulding to paint and reinstall.
Easier done than thought. Good luck.
Tony

Edwin Pawlowski

Doug Kanter wrote:
I know - it should be done before the carpet goes down, but in one room,
I don't have a choice at the moment. Anyone have any amazing tricks to
avoid getting paint on the carpet while painting the molding? I've
already imagined some schemes with the blue tape, but I'm open to new
ideas, or to someone else doing the job. (Teenage son says "Me?")

Take a thin piece of metal about 18" long, such as a Venetian blind slat,
and push down on it to press the carpet out of the way. After painting
that section, move it down. Clean it off often.

Hopkins

I always just use masking tape. It takes a minute to get the touch, but
I put the tape too close to the moulding [before pressing it down] and
then pull it and the carpet back where I want it.

Baron

I just went through this. Use two inch wide blue masking tape. Place
it as close as you can to the moulding and then press it down hard. Use a
wide putty knife or equivalent to really press it down right next to the
moulding. I actually let a tiny bit of tape overlap the moulding since it
would be pulled off the moulding and onto the carpeting when I used the
knife. The idea is to cover the carpet and press it down enough so that it
stays down just a bit with the tape on it. After the paint dries and you
pull up the tape, you will see two things. The first is that the carpet
will spring back to just above the bottom of the painted area so you won't
be able to see any line. The second is that the carpet will be cleaner
where the tape was as the tape will have pulled up any dirt.

Good luck.

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message
I know - it should be done before the carpet goes down, but in one room, I
don't have a choice at the moment. Anyone have any amazing tricks to avoid
getting paint on the carpet while painting the molding? I've already
imagined some schemes with the blue tape, but I'm open to new ideas, or to
someone else doing the job. (Teenage son says "Me?")

Rudy

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message
I know - it should be done before the carpet goes down, but in one room, I
don't have a choice at the moment. Anyone have any amazing tricks to avoid
getting paint on the carpet while painting the molding?

This is probably in one of the many posted replies: Find a slat from some
old vertical blinds, slide it under and paint away.

Doug Kanter

Thanks to all of your for some great ideas.

blueman

wrote:

I know - it should be done before the carpet goes down, but in one room, I
don't have a choice at the moment. Anyone have any amazing tricks to avoid
getting paint on the carpet while painting the molding? I've already
imagined some schemes with the blue tape, but I'm open to new ideas, or to
someone else doing the job. (Teenage son says "Me?")

If your paint is molding you have a moisture problem. Is the carpet
wet? Is this a poured concrete floor. You got water leaking in
somewhere. You will need to find the leak and fix it. After that,
use some KILZ to stop the mold after scrubbing the area first.

He wants to paint MOLDING not MOLDY MOLDING.

LMFAO-ROFL.
I think the responder was just deadpanning a response.
Is everybody really so humor-impaired?
Doug Kanter

"blueman" wrote in message
wrote:

I know - it should be done before the carpet goes down, but in one
room, I
don't have a choice at the moment. Anyone have any amazing tricks to
avoid
getting paint on the carpet while painting the molding? I've already
imagined some schemes with the blue tape, but I'm open to new ideas, or
someone else doing the job. (Teenage son says "Me?")

If your paint is molding you have a moisture problem. Is the carpet
wet? Is this a poured concrete floor. You got water leaking in
somewhere. You will need to find the leak and fix it. After that,
use some KILZ to stop the mold after scrubbing the area first.

He wants to paint MOLDING not MOLDY MOLDING.

LMFAO-ROFL.
I think the responder was just deadpanning a response.
Is everybody really so humor-impaired?

It's the macho way to be. :-)