TURTLE

Default What to do with Wet Carpet in a house?

This is Turtle.

I have some wet carpet in a house put there by a tree limb that went through the roof and it was raining. It flooded 3 rooms and a
hall way and we are talking wet and not just damp. I called State Farm Insurance company and their adjuster came out and looked at
it and said that they did not replace carpet anymore when a house floods. He told me that the only thing they would do is send in
their carpet man / not my carpet man and have him remove the carpet and replace the pad and dry the carpet and lay the old carpet
back down. I told him the carpet has been wet for close to a week waiting on you to look at it and the carpet will not fit back
right and have wrinkles in it after you relay it. He allowed $350.00 for their man to clean and remove the pad and said that all we
will do. I just had all the carpet replaced and run his ass out of my Rent house. To recarpet the area was $1,750.00 , fix the roof
, replace one rafter replace the insulation in attic of the area, replace ceilitex ceiling , and shingles was $1,400.00. That come
to $3,150.00 and i have $250.00 deductiable with exact replacement cost of items in the home. The cost after deductiable would be
$2,900.00 and they was so nice to just send me $1,200.00. I call about the roof not being fully paid and they said their roof
repairman could have done it much cheaper than $1,400.00. I pay more than $12k a year in premiums and been with them for 20 or more
years and they will be getting the ax this year but I have some questions here.

1) If you relay Carpet after it has been wet for a week. Will it cause it to wrinkle up? I have seen some relayed on a friend
house like this and it did not fit back right and did wrinkled up in about 3 months. This is where my thoughts are coming from.

2) These State Farm hands that dry and clean the carpet really get all the mole, bugs, whatever out of this carpet ?

3) Is this a good thing to do by relaying the 5 year old carpet on new pad?

4) What is your thoughts on relaying wet carpet ?

TURTLE

---

jim

TURTLE wrote:

[...]

Yey look in the yellow pages and call a pro... thats what you got to do
if you want it done right... and the state farm guys are just messing
with you.. if you have replacement coverage then they should give you
full coverage to replace the stuff.. if its not the same when repaired
then you complain and get them to replace it....
TURTLE

"jim" wrote in message ...
TURTLE wrote:

[...]

I could file on them but the law fees and court cost would have to be paid by me for they made partical payment and not all the way
no pay. If it was No pay they would have to pay court cost and lawyer fees. I had a friend of mine that is a lawyer and sent them a
notice of none payment and they sent back Sue me we don't care. I don't have time to go to court and research this out and i will
just cut their ass off and go with Travelers insurance like i had years ago. They alway did good but State Farm has turned into a
fly by nite outfit i guess. State farm premiums was $12k and Travelers will insure me for $9.5K and will be switching over as the
policys come due. The policy's are all the same. Now my business insurance will be going to another provider but the total cost will
be $9.5K still.

I had heard that State Farm was getting out of the insurance business and going to Financial business like investing in the stock
market and retirement accounts. This is a good way to get out of the insurance business by not paying off on claims. I would like to
thank State farm for waking me up on the cost of the insurance with them verses other provides. I will save $2.5K in the future
every year. It would have been a lot simpler if they just sent me a letter and told me they did not want my business any more.

TURTLE

---

Pavel314

"TURTLE" wrote in message
I had heard that State Farm was getting out of the insurance business and

going to Financial business like investing in the stock
market and retirement accounts.

We have a small sheep farm in Maryland and were insured by State Farm for
many years. A few years back, our agent informed us that we'd have to look
for another company because State Farm had stopped insuring farms in
Maryland. I thought that was rather ironic, given their name.

Paul

m Ransley

The carpet is probably trash, its full of mold and will always smell a
bit. Isnt there an insurance board you can complain to. Going to court
is cheap 35 bucks , takes a few minutes to file and sue for carpet
value.

HA HA Budys Here

I don't have a problem with them re-laying old carpet on new padding, but I do
have a problem with what you say your insurance bill is 9.5k a year?

Joseph Meehan

TURTLE wrote:

A simple letter to your State's insurance regulation body may correct
the situation.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

ZsaZsa

"HA HA Budys Here" wrote in message
I don't have a problem with them re-laying old carpet on new padding, but

I do
have a problem with what you say your insurance bill is 9.5k a year?

I was wondering about that myself. I started checking my policy to see if I
am really covered for anything!

TURTLE

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message ...
TURTLE wrote:

A simple letter to your State's insurance regulation body may correct
the situation.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

This is Turtle.

they really don't get into looking at anything these days for Our Insurance Commissioner is being sent to prison for taking kick
backs from insurance companys. They all are worry about their job now and not about any problem the public has. Louisiana is the
best at any kick back a man can figure up.

TURTLE

---

TURTLE

"HA HA Budys Here" wrote in message ...
I don't have a problem with them re-laying old carpet on new padding, but I do
have a problem with what you say your insurance bill is 9.5k a year?

This is Turtle.

If you got some company that can write for less. Let me know. State Farm wanted $12K and Travelers wanted $9.5K. 5 auto's with 2
being company auto's, Home, Rent houses, Camp insurance, Flood insurance, Contractors Liability, Workman's Comp. insurance, Company
Storage building, and something else for I forgot. This does not cover Medical or life insurance. Hey you got to pay to play.

TURTLE

---

Art

Tell State Farm that if the carpet is good they can lay it in their office
and buy you new stuff. What options do you have on your policy? What you
get from them is determined by your policy options. You need new carpet.
If you don't have the right options, you only get partial reimbursement
because of depreciation of old carpet. But if you have right options you get
new carpet at their expense.

"TURTLE" wrote in message
[...]

TURTLE

"Art" wrote in message hlink.net...
Tell State Farm that if the carpet is good they can lay it in their office
and buy you new stuff. What options do you have on your policy? What you
get from them is determined by your policy options. You need new carpet.
If you don't have the right options, you only get partial reimbursement
because of depreciation of old carpet. But if you have right options you get
new carpet at their expense.

this is Turtle.

I have their No depreciation policy and exact replacement policy. If I had to sue them. i would not get much after I paid for the
lawyer and court cost maybe. Particial payments you have to pay for your own lawyer. No Payments they will have to pay for your
lawyer if they loose. I don't have time to play games with Turkeys and I will just fire their ass and go to another company. I have
some family members and friends that are going to Travers ins. co. with me and it's pulling about $30 K a year of business over a
$1,700.00 worth of carpet. They must not care for i don't either for i just hit you where it hurts in the pocket book. they just
announced some time back that they will be laying off 400 something employees this year is Louisiana. Someone else must be hitting
them in the pocket book too.

TURTLE

---

Mike Radlin

I've done professionbal carpet cleaning for approx 13 years, and in my
opinion unless the moisture was removed within 24 hours the possiblity of
saving the carpet is very remote. Even using strong mildew removers. I
would suggest replacement. Good Luck.

Mike

TURTLE wrote:

A simple letter to your State's insurance regulation body may

correct
the situation.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

This is Turtle.

they really don't get into looking at anything these days for Our

Insurance Commissioner is being sent to prison for taking kick
backs from insurance companys. They all are worry about their job now and

not about any problem the public has. Louisiana is the
best at any kick back a man can figure up.

TURTLE

---

George E. Cawthon

HA HA Budys Here wrote:

I don't have a problem with them re-laying old carpet on new padding, but I do
have a problem with what you say your insurance bill is 9.5k a year?

Yeah, maybe because it is commercial. My house only costs about $230
a year.
Art

Most states regulate insurance. A simple call to the regulatory agency may
fix your problem right away without litigation.

Pretty cute what they are doing. They removed mold insurance from policies
last year so this year they figure they will reinstall moldy carpet as part
of restorations. That's what everyone gets for being anti-government
regulation. Companies will try anything to rip off consumers.

Art

Lousiana has hurricanes and floods big time.... State Farm doesn't want to
play where they might have to pay. Pretty soon they will run out of states.

I would still file suit just to annoy them. Bet you get a new offer. They
will have to pay a grand for an attorney. You don't need one to get
started. The court clerk will help you fill out a standard breach of
contract form in most parts of the country. It is a good experience for you
and like I said, you will probably get a new offer when they realize they
have to hire an attorney. Even though they have some on retainer they pay
per hour.

Frogleg

On Sun, 29 Feb 2004 04:45:38 -0600, "TURTLE"
wrote:

4) What is your thoughts on relaying wet carpet ?

TURTLE

Check back with your insurance company. Not the local who gave you a
lot of guff, but the corporate site. Check your policy to determine
exactly what's covered. Insurance has some very weird provisions and
conditions -- water damage from overhead is different than damage from
rising water is different than backed-up plumbing, etc. I have State
Farm ins. and they were exemplary in a recent hurricane that produced
widespread damage. My problems were different (fallen trees and small
roof damage), but an inspector was out and I had an adequate check in
hand before the power was back on.

A thoroughly wet carpet that's been waiting for inspection for a week
or more is essentially toast. (I *hope* there are no moles in there.)
Inspect your policy and get in touch with the head office.
Nick Hull

In article ,
"TURTLE" wrote:

, and shingles was $1,400.00. That come
to $3,150.00 and i have $250.00 deductiable with exact replacement cost of
items in the home. The cost after deductiable would be
$2,900.00 and they was so nice to just send me $1,200.00. I call about the
roof not being fully paid and they said their roof
repairman could have done it much cheaper than $1,400.00. I pay more than
$12k a year in premiums and been with them for 20 or more
years and they will be getting the ax this year but I have some questions
here.

As I see it you are paying $12K/yr to get $1K once. Have you thought
about self insurance? You would have saved $200K already.

--
free men own guns - slaves don't
www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/5357/

TURTLE

wrote:

[...]

This is turtle.

All of State Farms policys now say repair or replace now after paying off on the Hurricans and Damage of storms in the latest big
cost pay outs. State Farm got hurt with the Fla. and Louisiana Hurricans. They are now making up for it with this repair or replace
policy. When they get their money back for having to replace your house after the hurrican when the News and newspapers was watching
them.

TURTLE

Frogleg

On Tue, 2 Mar 2004 09:24:26 -0600, "TURTLE"
wrote:

"Frogleg" wrote

I have State
Farm ins. and they were exemplary in a recent hurricane that produced
widespread damage. My problems were different (fallen trees and small
roof damage), but an inspector was out and I had an adequate check in
hand before the power was back on.

All of State Farms policys now say repair or replace now
after paying off on the Hurricans and Damage of storms
in the latest big
cost pay outs. State Farm got hurt with the Fla. and
Louisiana Hurricans. They are now making up for it
with this repair or replace
policy. When they get their money back for having to
replace your house after the hurrican when the News
and newspapers was watching
them.

I'm not sure I understand your point. Do you mean they're opting more
to 'repair' instead of 'replace'? I.e., your carpet? While your case
seems unfortunate (and unfair, in that a soaked carpet that's been
sitting around for a week or so is unlikely to be adequately
'repaired'), there were people around here complaining that their ins.
wouldn't pay for a new fence when a couple of boards had been knocked
down. Rates are high enough as it is.

TURTLE

wrote:

[...]

A fence can be repaired but wet moled carpet can't be repaired. If the fence has a crack in every board. Replace the whole thing.

TURTLE

---

TURTLE

"Nick Hull" wrote in message ...
In article ,
"TURTLE" wrote:

, and shingles was $1,400.00. That come
to $3,150.00 and i have $250.00 deductiable with exact replacement cost of
items in the home. The cost after deductiable would be
$2,900.00 and they was so nice to just send me $1,200.00. I call about the
roof not being fully paid and they said their roof
repairman could have done it much cheaper than $1,400.00. I pay more than
$12k a year in premiums and been with them for 20 or more
years and they will be getting the ax this year but I have some questions
here.

As I see it you are paying $12K/yr to get $1K once. Have you thought
about self insurance? You would have saved $200K already.

This is Turtle.

I have thought about it but i just would not like to take a $120K hit on a house burning down. I could take a hit like that but I
just adhear to Murphy's law and keep insurance.

TURTLE

---

Fitting cheap carpet Jackie UK diy 7 June 5th 04 09:30 AM
Adding one more floor to the house? Possible???? AJScott Home Repair 10 February 27th 04 04:34 PM
Any risk in buying a house with finished basement without permit -Please advise Basha Home Repair 80 November 18th 03 03:31 AM
Point me in the right direction for installing carpet on stairs... Philip Hallstrom Home Repair 1 October 31st 03 12:01 PM