Posted to alt.home.repair
Keith Williams

Default painting baseboard, how to shield carpet

In article ,
says...
Keith Williams wrote:
In article ,

says...

The baseboards in my house are flush with the slab and the carpet is
butted up against the baseboard. I need to repaint the baseboards to the
maximum possible depth. Does anyone have a tried method of getting the
carpet away from the baseboard so that as much baseboard as possible is
exposed?

I've tried a couple methods (wedging cardboard in between the baseboard
and wall, and wedging painter's tape in between the baseboard and wall)
but both methods take forever to do and don't really expose that much
more of the baseboard normal.

Any help would be greatly appreciated-

Most of my house has no baseboards so the painted walls go all the
way down to the carpet. I didn't have much luck with the painting
shields but have done pretty well with masking tape. The blue
stuff is even better. I use a 10" spakleing knife to pull the
carpet away from the wall and then slide the tape down the wall,
pull the knife,and fold the tape over the carpet. When I've done
the whole wall I go back with another width of tape and pull the
first tape back away from the wall.

I tried this (although with a smaller knife) and I had a terrible time
keeping the tape from sticking to the knife and the baseboard ...can you
explain a bit more how you do this?

Carefully. ;-) I slide the tape down the wall to the knife, trying
not to get it stuck to the knife. The tape doesn't really need to
go all the way to the floor since the piece(s) of tape behind the
first pull the nap back away from the wall. I also use shortish
pieces of tape for the first row. Again, the blue tape works
better than the white "painter's" or yellow masking tape.

It takes time and some small amount of patience but it's worked out
*much* better than the shields for me. I'm sure this is a personal
thing though. They do sell the shields to someone. ;-)

--
Keith