Posted to alt.home.repair
Amy L

Default Furnance Question - Cycling

I have a comfortmaker RPJ2 that has a problem. When it goes on everything
appears to operate fine. The blower is going the ignitor ignites for about
5-30 seconds than kicks off. It seems to do this about two times and on the
third time it stays lit and runs. I am suspecting this maybe something
related to safety that might be kicking in? Possibly the thermocouple not
registering the heat from the flame?

FWIW - I am not going to crack it open and start trying to fix it. I am
going to leave it up to the pro's that will show up on Monday. However, I
am trying to get some what of an idea of what the problem could be so when
the tech starts talking I won't feel so stupid.

Also any thoughts on the Comfortmaker RPJ2 - is this a good unit? Cheap?
How efficient or old (do they still make this model, etc)?

Amy

Posted to alt.home.repair
Zed

We have found it to be a very reliable furnace if installed properly. They
do tend to be a bit noisy. RPJ2 is not the model number. You will find that
on the rating plate inside the burner compartment. Sounds like you may need
a new hot surface igniter.

"Amy L" wrote in message
I have a comfortmaker RPJ2 that has a problem. When it goes on everything
appears to operate fine. The blower is going the ignitor ignites for about
5-30 seconds than kicks off. It seems to do this about two times and on
the third time it stays lit and runs. I am suspecting this maybe something
related to safety that might be kicking in? Possibly the thermocouple not
registering the heat from the flame?

FWIW - I am not going to crack it open and start trying to fix it. I am
going to leave it up to the pro's that will show up on Monday. However, I
am trying to get some what of an idea of what the problem could be so when
the tech starts talking I won't feel so stupid.

Also any thoughts on the Comfortmaker RPJ2 - is this a good unit? Cheap?
How efficient or old (do they still make this model, etc)?

Amy

Posted to alt.home.repair
buffalobill

http://www.contractortalk.com/showthread.php?t=532

Posted to alt.home.repair
Colbyt

"Amy L" wrote in message
[...]

I am not an HVAC person. But if you have or can locate a manual for your
unit it should contain a flow chart that shows the start up sequence. If
you can follow that chart and understand it it will keep you from being sold
a "bill of bull".

Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair
buffalobill

http://www.hvacmechanic.com/forums/r...ages/11778.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony Hwang

Amy L wrote:
I have a comfortmaker RPJ2 that has a problem. When it goes on everything
appears to operate fine. The blower is going the ignitor ignites for about
5-30 seconds than kicks off. It seems to do this about two times and on the
third time it stays lit and runs. I am suspecting this maybe something
related to safety that might be kicking in? Possibly the thermocouple not
registering the heat from the flame?

Slight dirt/rust build up on the surface of flame sensor(you said it's
thermocouple) can make it less sensitive. Gently clean it with emery
cloth or fine sand paper.
Common problem.

FWIW - I am not going to crack it open and start trying to fix it. I am
going to leave it up to the pro's that will show up on Monday. However, I
am trying to get some what of an idea of what the problem could be so when
the tech starts talking I won't feel so stupid.

Also any thoughts on the Comfortmaker RPJ2 - is this a good unit? Cheap?
How efficient or old (do they still make this model, etc)?

Amy

Posted to alt.home.repair
TURTLE

This is Turtle.

Look up Arcoaire gas furnaces and look the model number up and you will
get it. the RPJ2 is just another name for Arcoaire .

TURTLE

Posted to alt.home.repair
TURTLE

This is Turtle.

It would be hard to say which part it was but it is one of these. Flame
sencewr, stop up jet on pilot, Vent Fan Air prover switch, or the relay
board. Now it could be a squirrel that got stuck in the vent pipe from
the roof.

RPJ2 / Arcoaire/ Carrier / Whirlpool / or any ICP products will be
replaced with the parts. the last one i worked on , i got the parts
from Arcoaire warehouse for the model numbers was the same to find
parts.

TURTLE

Posted to alt.home.repair
Stormin Mormon

The thing that "registerst he heat from the flame" is a flame sensor rod,
and they do go bad. I've replaced a couple of them. We see a lot of Rheem
furnaces in NYS, and so those are the ones I've repaired.

By "igniter ignites" do you mean that you have gas flame, or just a glowing
orange thingie dingie?

--

Christopher A. Young
Do good work.

"Amy L" wrote in message
I have a comfortmaker RPJ2 that has a problem. When it goes on everything
appears to operate fine. The blower is going the ignitor ignites for about
5-30 seconds than kicks off. It seems to do this about two times and on the
third time it stays lit and runs. I am suspecting this maybe something
related to safety that might be kicking in? Possibly the thermocouple not
registering the heat from the flame?

FWIW - I am not going to crack it open and start trying to fix it. I am
going to leave it up to the pro's that will show up on Monday. However, I
am trying to get some what of an idea of what the problem could be so when
the tech starts talking I won't feel so stupid.

Also any thoughts on the Comfortmaker RPJ2 - is this a good unit? Cheap?
How efficient or old (do they still make this model, etc)?

Amy

Posted to alt.home.repair
Stormin Mormon

That, or flame sensor rod.

--

Christopher A. Young
Do good work.

"Amy L" wrote in message
I have a comfortmaker RPJ2 that has a problem. When it goes on everything
appears to operate fine. The blower is going the ignitor ignites for about
5-30 seconds than kicks off. It seems to do this about two times and on
the third time it stays lit and runs. I am suspecting this maybe something
related to safety that might be kicking in? Possibly the thermocouple not
registering the heat from the flame?

FWIW - I am not going to crack it open and start trying to fix it. I am
going to leave it up to the pro's that will show up on Monday. However, I
am trying to get some what of an idea of what the problem could be so when
the tech starts talking I won't feel so stupid.

Also any thoughts on the Comfortmaker RPJ2 - is this a good unit? Cheap?
How efficient or old (do they still make this model, etc)?

Amy

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bubba

On Fri, 16 Dec 2005 03:11:18 GMT, "Zed" wrote:

We have found it to be a very reliable furnace if installed properly. They
do tend to be a bit noisy. RPJ2 is not the model number. You will find that
on the rating plate inside the burner compartment. Sounds like you may need
a new hot surface igniter.

Idiot. The furnace lights. It just doesnt stay lit all the time. Stick
to something else. HVAC isnt yours or Stormys field.
Here's a quarter. Go buy a clue.
Bubba

"Amy L" wrote in message
I have a comfortmaker RPJ2 that has a problem. When it goes on everything
appears to operate fine. The blower is going the ignitor ignites for about
5-30 seconds than kicks off. It seems to do this about two times and on
the third time it stays lit and runs. I am suspecting this maybe something
related to safety that might be kicking in? Possibly the thermocouple not
registering the heat from the flame?

FWIW - I am not going to crack it open and start trying to fix it. I am
going to leave it up to the pro's that will show up on Monday. However, I
am trying to get some what of an idea of what the problem could be so when
the tech starts talking I won't feel so stupid.

Also any thoughts on the Comfortmaker RPJ2 - is this a good unit? Cheap?
How efficient or old (do they still make this model, etc)?

Amy

Posted to alt.home.repair
Amy L

I actually see the gas flame for 5-10 seconds before it cuts off. Thanks
for the heads up on the rod being called a "flame sensor rod".

Are those expensive?

Amy.

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
The thing that "registerst he heat from the flame" is a flame sensor rod,
and they do go bad. I've replaced a couple of them. We see a lot of Rheem
furnaces in NYS, and so those are the ones I've repaired.

By "igniter ignites" do you mean that you have gas flame, or just a
glowing
orange thingie dingie?

--

Christopher A. Young
Do good work.
It's longer in the short run
but shorter in the long run.
.
.

"Amy L" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
CBHVAC

"Amy L" wrote in message
I actually see the gas flame for 5-10 seconds before it cuts off. Thanks
for the heads up on the rod being called a "flame sensor rod".

Are those expensive?

Amy.

Amy...Stormin isnt well versed on any sort of unit.
He isnt the kind of guy you really WANT in your home.
I suggest you look up his postings from 3 weeks or so ago when he was
working on a simple issue, and charged the people and left them without heat
for days.

Flame sensors are actually cheap, under $30 for the Rheem factory part.

"Amy L" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
Zed

If you read her post, she states the igniter ignites for about 5-30 seconds.
If she had stated that the burners went on and off then it would seem to be
a flame sensor problem. There is no need for nastiness or name calling. The
only way to properly diagnose the problem is to have a contractor check the
furnace and she is having that done in a few days.

"Amy L" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
CJT

Zed wrote:
snipThere is no need for nastiness or name calling. snip

Opportunities for nastiness and name calling seem to be the only
reason "Bubba" and several others appear here.

Posted to alt.home.repair
CBHVAC

"Zed" wrote in message
.. .
If you read her post, she states the igniter ignites for about 5-30
seconds. If she had stated that the burners went on and off then it would
seem to be a flame sensor problem. There is no need for nastiness or name
calling. The only way to properly diagnose the problem is to have a
contractor check the furnace and she is having that done in a few days.

Ok..well, then that screams another problem, but not an ignitor issue.

"Amy L" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bubba

.....and if YOU had finished reading her post, YOU would have seen that
she said "on the third time it stays lit and runs".
YOU said it needs a new hot surface igniter!!! WTF??
Wrong answer. Is there any part of my post you dont understand now?
As for Stormy, he is a proven idiot and even dangerous at times.
Bubba

"Amy L" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bubba

On Sat, 17 Dec 2005 03:35:09 GMT, CJT wrote:

Zed wrote:
snipThere is no need for nastiness or name calling. snip

Opportunities for nastiness and name calling seem to be the only
reason "Bubba" and several others appear here.

and you are here for ...................?
Oh, that's right. So we can see your regergitated ****.
Bubba
Posted to alt.home.repair
Amy L

Default Furnance Question - Cycling (Follow-up & Conclusion)

The tech found the issue and it was indeed a dirty flame sensor rod. He was
able to clean it to make it work. I went ahead and asked him to just
replace it which he did. All in all it was pretty cheap $70.00 for the
service call and part replacement. The furnance has been running perfect
since than.

Amy

"Amy L" wrote in message
I have a comfortmaker RPJ2 that has a problem. When it goes on everything
appears to operate fine. The blower is going the ignitor ignites for about
5-30 seconds than kicks off. It seems to do this about two times and on
the third time it stays lit and runs. I am suspecting this maybe something
related to safety that might be kicking in? Possibly the thermocouple not
registering the heat from the flame?

FWIW - I am not going to crack it open and start trying to fix it. I am
going to leave it up to the pro's that will show up on Monday. However, I
am trying to get some what of an idea of what the problem could be so when
the tech starts talking I won't feel so stupid.

Also any thoughts on the Comfortmaker RPJ2 - is this a good unit? Cheap?
How efficient or old (do they still make this model, etc)?

Amy

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob

This is a common problem, and easily solved by cleaning the sensor tip with
steel wool. You wasted your money on a new sensor. The next time it happens,
just let them clean it. You don't throw out your pots and pans when they get
dirty.

"Amy L" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
George E. Cawthon

Uh oh? Somebody is going to jump on you for
getting a hack job. Unless you paid at least $100
for the call and $200 more for the fix, you most
certainly got ripped off. Fortunately I live
in an area where hack jobs and ripoffs (based on
costs) are common and quite satisfying.

"Amy L" wrote in message

I have a comfortmaker RPJ2 that has a problem. When it goes on everything
appears to operate fine. The blower is going the ignitor ignites for about
5-30 seconds than kicks off. It seems to do this about two times and on
the third time it stays lit and runs. I am suspecting this maybe something
related to safety that might be kicking in? Possibly the thermocouple not
registering the heat from the flame?

FWIW - I am not going to crack it open and start trying to fix it. I am
going to leave it up to the pro's that will show up on Monday. However, I
am trying to get some what of an idea of what the problem could be so when
the tech starts talking I won't feel so stupid.

Also any thoughts on the Comfortmaker RPJ2 - is this a good unit? Cheap?
How efficient or old (do they still make this model, etc)?

Amy

Posted to alt.home.repair
CBHVAC

"Bob" wrote in message
. ..
This is a common problem, and easily solved by cleaning the sensor tip
with
steel wool. You wasted your money on a new sensor. The next time it
happens,
just let them clean it. You don't throw out your pots and pans when they
get
dirty.

Ummm...no.
I guess you dont do much work in this end do you?

Carrier, and Rheem in particular you can clean that sensor all you want,
make it all nice and shiney, and it STILL wont rectify flame.

She got out real cheap. Id say job well done to the tech that insured that
she will not have to pay $200 for an overtime show up fee to clean a rod
that isnt dirty.

"Amy L" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
g.a.miller

On Thu, 15 Dec 2005 21:48:29 -0500, "Amy L" wrote:

I have a comfortmaker RPJ2 that has a problem. When it goes on everything
appears to operate fine. The blower is going the ignitor ignites for about
5-30 seconds than kicks off. It seems to do this about two times and on the
third time it stays lit and runs. I am suspecting this maybe something
related to safety that might be kicking in? Possibly the thermocouple not
registering the heat from the flame?

FWIW - I am not going to crack it open and start trying to fix it. I am
going to leave it up to the pro's that will show up on Monday. However, I
am trying to get some what of an idea of what the problem could be so when
the tech starts talking I won't feel so stupid.

Also any thoughts on the Comfortmaker RPJ2 - is this a good unit? Cheap?
How efficient or old (do they still make this model, etc)?

Amy

amy sounds like probably the thermocoupple may just be getting weak.
Good Idea to let the pros work on it. Smart move Have a great year!

at http://www.TitanNews.com

To anyone sick of alt.hvac Matt Morgan Home Repair 87 April 8th 05 05:17 PM
OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
Rapid cycling gas furnace Dan Hall Home Repair 4 December 3rd 04 04:42 PM
Another heating problem question! David Hearn UK diy 9 December 12th 03 08:29 PM
Plumbing Question Jeff UK diy 4 December 1st 03 01:49 PM