Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony Hwang

Default Furnance Question - Cycling

Amy L wrote:
I have a comfortmaker RPJ2 that has a problem. When it goes on everything
appears to operate fine. The blower is going the ignitor ignites for about
5-30 seconds than kicks off. It seems to do this about two times and on the
third time it stays lit and runs. I am suspecting this maybe something
related to safety that might be kicking in? Possibly the thermocouple not
registering the heat from the flame?

Slight dirt/rust build up on the surface of flame sensor(you said it's
thermocouple) can make it less sensitive. Gently clean it with emery
cloth or fine sand paper.
Common problem.

FWIW - I am not going to crack it open and start trying to fix it. I am
going to leave it up to the pro's that will show up on Monday. However, I
am trying to get some what of an idea of what the problem could be so when
the tech starts talking I won't feel so stupid.

Also any thoughts on the Comfortmaker RPJ2 - is this a good unit? Cheap?
How efficient or old (do they still make this model, etc)?

Amy