Posted to alt.home.repair
Amy L

Default Furnance Question - Cycling

I actually see the gas flame for 5-10 seconds before it cuts off. Thanks
for the heads up on the rod being called a "flame sensor rod".

Are those expensive?

Amy.

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
The thing that "registerst he heat from the flame" is a flame sensor rod,
and they do go bad. I've replaced a couple of them. We see a lot of Rheem
furnaces in NYS, and so those are the ones I've repaired.

By "igniter ignites" do you mean that you have gas flame, or just a
glowing
orange thingie dingie?

--

Christopher A. Young
Do good work.

"Amy L" wrote in message
I have a comfortmaker RPJ2 that has a problem. When it goes on everything
appears to operate fine. The blower is going the ignitor ignites for
about
5-30 seconds than kicks off. It seems to do this about two times and on
the
third time it stays lit and runs. I am suspecting this maybe something
related to safety that might be kicking in? Possibly the thermocouple not
registering the heat from the flame?

FWIW - I am not going to crack it open and start trying to fix it. I am
going to leave it up to the pro's that will show up on Monday. However, I
am trying to get some what of an idea of what the problem could be so when
the tech starts talking I won't feel so stupid.

Also any thoughts on the Comfortmaker RPJ2 - is this a good unit? Cheap?
How efficient or old (do they still make this model, etc)?

Amy