Posted to alt.home.repair
TheMightyAtlas

Default Generator

I want to get a generator just to run my furnace fan if the power goes
out during the winter. We are in the Boston area, and the snowstorms
are pretty fierce. I know that 3750kw will be plenty of power for what
I need, but is this as simple as running the generator outside, running
an extension cord into the basement and plugging my furnace fan into
it. Or I guess, plugging everything in, and then starting teh
generator.

Does the generator run even when no power is being drawn from it. Also,
would the thermostat work without power? What about the furnace itself?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Oscar_Lives

"TheMightyAtlas" wrote in message
ups.com...

I want to get a generator just to run my furnace fan if the power goes
out during the winter. We are in the Boston area, and the snowstorms
are pretty fierce. I know that 3750kw will be plenty of power for what
I need, but is this as simple as running the generator outside, running
an extension cord into the basement and plugging my furnace fan into
it. Or I guess, plugging everything in, and then starting teh
generator.

Does the generator run even when no power is being drawn from it. Also,
would the thermostat work without power? What about the furnace itself?

I don't think the furnace would work without power.

Posted to alt.home.repair
CJ

Last month we bought a generator and had a 10 circuit Transfer Switch Panel
installed (about $600). If we lose power, the generator cord plugs into the
Transfer Panel and we can choose which circuit(s) and how many of them we
want to run at the same time. This type of set up was the safest and easiest
for us to operate. The size of the generator depends on how many circuits
you want to run at one time. The Honda web page has some good information on
it. We were told that Honda was the quietest generator made, but it is very
expensive (we bought a Briggs & Stratton) and our needs didn't justify the
high cost. The generator directions recommend that the owner provide
protection for three sides of the generator while it runs to protect it from
the weather elements.

"TheMightyAtlas" wrote in message
ups.com...

I want to get a generator just to run my furnace fan if the power goes
out during the winter. We are in the Boston area, and the snowstorms
are pretty fierce. I know that 3750kw will be plenty of power for what
I need, but is this as simple as running the generator outside, running
an extension cord into the basement and plugging my furnace fan into
it. Or I guess, plugging everything in, and then starting teh
generator.

Does the generator run even when no power is being drawn from it. Also,
would the thermostat work without power? What about the furnace itself?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Toller

I want to get a generator just to run my furnace fan if the power goes
out during the winter. We are in the Boston area, and the snowstorms
are pretty fierce. I know that 3750kw will be plenty of power for what
I need, but is this as simple as running the generator outside, running
an extension cord into the basement and plugging my furnace fan into
it. Or I guess, plugging everything in, and then starting teh
generator.

Does the generator run even when no power is being drawn from it. Also,
would the thermostat work without power? What about the furnace itself?

Of course the generator runs even when no power is being drawn from it; does
your car motor run at traffic lights?
The thermostat normally draws power from the furnace, so if you hook it up
properly there should be no problem.
Furnaces can be forced to run without power, but without the fan running you
will trash it pretty fast.
Running an extension cord is certainly the cheapest and most idiot proof way
to go, but also the most clumsy. Your furnace probably doesn't have a plug
on it; you will have to do something about that, and I suspect you are not
the person to do it.
My furnace will run on a 500w generator; yours might not. Investigate that
before buying one.
Furnaces have been ruined by poor quality electricity coming off cheap
generators; but a lot of people do it without any problems. A judgement
call.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

On Tue, 13 Dec 2005 05:27:00 GMT, "Toller" wrote:

Of course the generator runs even when no power is being drawn from it; does
your car motor run at traffic lights?
The thermostat normally draws power from the furnace, so if you hook it up
properly there should be no problem.
Furnaces can be forced to run without power, but without the fan running you

What kind of furnace are we talking about? No one has said.

Maybe gas will burn without electricity--I don't know-- but oil won't.

will trash it pretty fast.
Running an extension cord is certainly the cheapest and most idiot proof way
to go, but also the most clumsy. Your furnace probably doesn't have a plug
on it; you will have to do something about that, and I suspect you are not
the person to do it.
My furnace will run on a 500w generator; yours might not. Investigate that
before buying one.
Furnaces have been ruined by poor quality electricity coming off cheap
generators; but a lot of people do it without any problems. A judgement
call.

Remove NOPSAM to email me. Please let
me know if you have posted also.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

"Oscar_Lives" wrote in message

I don't think the furnace would work without power.

Maybe it will if the thermostat has a battery

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

"mm" wrote in message

Maybe gas will burn without electricity--I don't know-- but oil won't.

Gas will burn, but most furnaces today have electronic ignition and
electronically operated gas valves. Of course even if you defeat all of
that, the limit switches won't be working.

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM

Your furnace will run just like it normally does. You need to have an
electrician install a male plug at the furnace, connected to a single pole
double throw switch. In one position the furnace gets its power from your
electrical system, and in the other position it will get its power from an
extension cord plugged into your generator.

"TheMightyAtlas" wrote in message
ups.com...

I want to get a generator just to run my furnace fan if the power goes
out during the winter. We are in the Boston area, and the snowstorms
are pretty fierce. I know that 3750kw will be plenty of power for what
I need, but is this as simple as running the generator outside, running
an extension cord into the basement and plugging my furnace fan into
it. Or I guess, plugging everything in, and then starting teh
generator.

Does the generator run even when no power is being drawn from it. Also,
would the thermostat work without power? What about the furnace itself?

Posted to alt.home.repair
L. M. Rappaport

On 12 Dec 2005 20:40:42 -0800, "TheMightyAtlas"
wrote (with possible editing):

I want to get a generator just to run my furnace fan if the power goes
out during the winter. We are in the Boston area, and the snowstorms
are pretty fierce. I know that 3750kw will be plenty of power for what
I need, but is this as simple as running the generator outside, running
an extension cord into the basement and plugging my furnace fan into
it. Or I guess, plugging everything in, and then starting teh
generator.

Does the generator run even when no power is being drawn from it.

Yes.

Also, would the thermostat work without power? What about the furnace itself?

Doesn't matter - if it's really a furnace, it needs power to run the
fan. If you meant a boiler, it still needs power to run the
circulator. Both need power if you're burning oil; most need power if
you're burning gas. A thermostat is essentially a single pole, single
throw switch. If it's programmable, it might have a battery.
--

Larry
Email to rapp at lmr dot com

Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub

TheMightyAtlas wrote:

Does the generator run even when no power is being drawn from it.
Also, would the thermostat work without power? What about the furnace
itself?

Sure. Figure a gallon of gasoline per hour. Plan on getting up in the middle
of the night to re-fuel.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Toller

"HeyBub" wrote in message
TheMightyAtlas wrote:

Does the generator run even when no power is being drawn from it.
Also, would the thermostat work without power? What about the furnace
itself?

Sure. Figure a gallon of gasoline per hour. Plan on getting up in the
middle of the night to re-fuel.

My generator will go 8 hours on a gallon with just the furnace on it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

You might want to get a real good generator....

Your furnace has a electronic control board in it. Fry it and you
screwed with or without power!

Cheap generators provide dirty electricity, this will have a problem
with electronic equipment. Should be fine though with refrigerators
etc.

If you filter the power through a UPS, that will do ok. Otherwise
honda makes a fine line of generators that can do it. Expensive though.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe M

On Tue, 13 Dec 2005 11:34:41 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

"Oscar_Lives" wrote in message

I don't think the furnace would work without power.

Maybe it will if the thermostat has a battery

If a thermostat has a battery, it's probably a small one that provides
enough current for the thermostat to maintain electronic memory (and
possibly run a clock). It would be much less than is required to run
the fan. Also, an electronic thermostat is often electrically isolated
from the furnace.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"I know that 3750kw will be plenty of power for what
I need"

That ought to run not only your house, but a few thousands of your
neighbors too!

Posted to alt.home.repair
Mark Lloyd

On Tue, 13 Dec 2005 11:38:55 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

"mm" wrote in message

Maybe gas will burn without electricity--I don't know-- but oil won't.

Gas will burn, but most furnaces today have electronic ignition and
electronically operated gas valves. Of course even if you defeat all of
that, the limit switches won't be working.

How much power does the gas valve need? Perhaps something could be
arranged, like on a gas water heater?

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

Posted to alt.home.repair
Toller

If you filter the power through a UPS, that will do ok. Otherwise
honda makes a fine line of generators that can do it. Expensive though.

Standard UPSs produce square waves. I wouldn't want to send that to my
furnace.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

wrote:

"mm" wrote in message

Maybe gas will burn without electricity--I don't know-- but oil won't.

Gas will burn, but most furnaces today have electronic ignition and
electronically operated gas valves. Of course even if you defeat all of
that, the limit switches won't be working.

How much power does the gas valve need? Perhaps something could be
arranged, like on a gas water heater?

Sure. He just needs to power the whole furnace and not just the fan.
Powering just the furnace fan is a bit like toasting marshmallows over
a campfire that isn't burning.

Remove NOPSAM to email me. Please let
me know if you have posted also.
Posted to alt.home.repair
TheMightyAtlas

Sounds like I need to engage an electrician for this. Since I am in
Boston, it's going to add a few hundred dollars to the cost, even if he
just drops by for fifteen minutes! I was hoping to avoid that, but it
sounds like I am way out of my depth here.

Posted to alt.home.repair
philkryder

Do you know how much electricty your furnace needs?

That would be a good place to start.

I have an interesting story - which unfortunately probably doesn't
apply to your situation - but it illustrates that you want to KNOW what
is really happening before making assumptions.

In January 1978, a blizzard hit our area of the mid-west and left us
without power for 3 days.

Being a good neighbor, I fired up my coleman stove and made some soup
and took to the octegenarian next door.
She thanked me for the soup and asked me to sit for a bit.
I noticed her home was toasty warm.

She explained to me that our homes had had coal furnaces with gravity
air feed that had been converted to natural gas.
She was sure that mine was the same as hers.
She said that she just switched the furnace to "manual" and let it run.
If the house got too warm, she turned the furnace off.
I did the same.
We were warm and cozy.
Many folks had frozen pipes.

My wife and I read "The Long Winter" by Laura Ingalls Wilder aloud to
each other and enjoyed the time off.
-----

Find out what you have, before trying to figure out what you need.

-------
Good luck!
P.S. Consider getting a Propane or Natural Gas powered Generator.
Gasoline stinks and is flamable to store and pour.
Phil

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

On Tue, 13 Dec 2005 10:46:42 -0600, "HeyBub"
wrote:

TheMightyAtlas wrote:

Does the generator run even when no power is being drawn from it.

Yes, but more slowly, right. Don't they have speed regulators that
somewhat depend on the load. Cars use far less at idle than they do
when moving the car.

Also, would the thermostat work without power? What about the furnace
itself?

Sure. Figure a gallon of gasoline per hour. Plan on getting up in the middle
of the night to re-fuel.

If he says so, I'm sure heybub is right. All the more reason to
conserve on heat use Close vents and doors to unused rooms, etc.
(although I'm told there is a limit to that.) Turn down the heat.
Use an electric blanket. And maybe your wife will only have to fill
the tank once during the night.

Remove NOPSAM to email me. Please let
me know if you have posted also.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

On 13 Dec 2005 17:32:03 -0800, "philkryder"
wrote:

[...]

I guess that is your reward for being nice to her.

Many folks had frozen pipes.

Folks with the same furnace arrangement you had?

My wife and I read "The Long Winter" by Laura Ingalls Wilder aloud to
each other and enjoyed the time off.
-----

Find out what you have, before trying to figure out what you need.

-------
Good luck!
P.S. Consider getting a Propane or Natural Gas powered Generator.
Gasoline stinks and is flamable to store and pour.
Phil

Remove NOPSAM to email me. Please let
me know if you have posted also.
Posted to alt.home.repair
m Ransley

Only inverter style gens have voltage dependant rpm. Your standard unit
runs at 3600 a small unit may use 1/4 to 1/3 gallon on a light load of
400 watts for a furnace. Honda EU or a Yamaha inverter may only need
1200-1600 rpm to make 400 watts and get much better run time and much
more engine life. Idle control on my unit only cuts no load run from
3600 to apx 3300 not much of a reduction.

Posted to alt.home.repair
TheMightyAtlas

Of course I meant 3750 watts!

Posted to alt.home.repair
TheMightyAtlas

Of course I meant 3750 watts!

Posted to alt.home.repair
Tom Horne, Electrician

RBM wrote:
Your furnace will run just like it normally does. You need to have an
electrician install a male plug at the furnace, connected to a single
pole double throw switch. In one position the furnace gets its power
from your electrical system, and in the other position it will get its
power from an extension cord plugged into your generator.

That male plug is called a flanged inlet. Best practice is to use a
double pole double throw switch that switches the neutral as well as the
hot conductor. That avoids grounding the neutral on the load side of the
service disconnecting means. While your running off of the generator
the Service disconnecting means is the generators main breaker. The
generator will be grounded through the Equipment Grounding Conductor of
the cord.
--
Tom Horne

for general use." Thomas Alva Edison

Posted to alt.home.repair
L. M. Rappaport

On Tue, 13 Dec 2005 21:31:41 -0500, mm

wrote:

TheMightyAtlas wrote:

Does the generator run even when no power is being drawn from it.

Yes, but more slowly, right. Don't they have speed regulators that
somewhat depend on the load. Cars use far less at idle than they do
when moving the car.

Actually that would be very rare. I've never seen one that does that,
and I've used many of them. They usually run constantly at one of two
speeds: 1800 rpm or 3600 rpm. That is necessary to maintain the 60 hz
that they produce. They certainly use less fuel when no load is being
drawn, but the speed remains the same. An alternator designed to run
at 1800 rpm is more expensive than one designed to run at 3600, but
typically the engine will last longer due to reduced wear.

We have an automatic 18kw diesel for backup here and I own a gas
driven Honda used for construction. I've also used two Generacs and a
few other gas driven models.

--

Larry
Email to rapp at lmr dot com
Posted to alt.home.repair
Pop

:
: Actually that would be very rare. I've never seen one that
does that,
: and I've used many of them. They usually run constantly at one
of two
: speeds: 1800 rpm or 3600 rpm. That is necessary to maintain
the 60 hz

No, not so rare. MANY generators idle during periods of no-load.
Most generators around here do, including mine. If there is ANY
load though, it jumps up to speed incredibly fast.

So, it depends on the particular generator design. A 5 gallon
tank of gas can last me a day during power-outages IFF I only
power the furnace & fridge. When they're all off, the generator
drops to a fast idle and stays there. It still puts out 130Vac,
but I have nothing to see the frequency with because my test
equipment triggers it up to speed. Too lazy to drag out my scope
to look at it. Just a 4W nightlight is enough to cause it to
spring up to speed.
As long as they're supplying any current though, they will
definitely be at speed, and that speed is usually governed in
some way to remain pretty stable; that's how they get the 60Hz
frequency.

I've no experience with generators that vary motor speed with
load, but I do know there are some - they've been discussed on
various groups. So I don't know how those work. I suspect
they're more DC systems than anything else.

HTH,

Pop

Posted to alt.home.repair

Errrr... Your having flashbacks to the old days...

Most modern UPS's either use a stepped wave (cheap ones)
or the more expensive units do make a sine wave. These
sine waves can be cleaner than what you get out of the
power grid.

Think about it... The square wave would be a problem with
transformers... In modern computers they ALL use transformers
to convert the power down to 5v and 12v. They dont make UPS's to
blow up computers, but to save them from power spikes and
voltage dropouts. One side you can look at though is that
square sine waves do their damage over the long periods of time.
Almost any UPS can work well for a little while.

This makes me want to look at my APC ups now.... Geeez

Posted to alt.home.repair
Chris Lewis

According to Pop :
: Yes, but more slowly, right. Don't they have speed regulators
that
: somewhat depend on the load. Cars use far less at idle than
they do
: when moving the car.
:
: Actually that would be very rare. I've never seen one that
does that,
: and I've used many of them. They usually run constantly at one
of two
: speeds: 1800 rpm or 3600 rpm. That is necessary to maintain
the 60 hz

No, not so rare. MANY generators idle during periods of no-load.
Most generators around here do, including mine. If there is ANY
load though, it jumps up to speed incredibly fast.

These generators tend to be slightly upscale (as in commercial grade)
rather than the cheapos you see at HD. Usually not _big_ ones, because
they're usually used in circumstances where you're always drawing power.
The big ones often operate full time at 1800 RPM.

I recall reading about 3600-1800 or 1200 RPM idle step-downs on mid-range
commercial Onans, Generacs and Hondas. It's advertised as a feature
to make the generator last longer.

The idea being that the generator itself is much cheaper to make if
it's operated at 3600 RPM (eg: most engines produce peak power near to
3600), but the wear level is considerably increased over 1200 or 1800 -
hence the compromise of idling lower.

There's an analogous situation with electric motors. It's cheaper
to make a 3600 RPM motor than an 1800 RPM one. But most applications
need 1800 RPM rather than 3600 RPM, and the cost of gear/belt reduction
of 3600RPM is more than the cost savings of 3600 over 1800. Hence, most
motors are 1800 except with certain applications.
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est
Posted to alt.home.repair
Chris Lewis

According to :
Errrr... Your having flashbacks to the old days...

Most modern UPS's either use a stepped wave (cheap ones)
or the more expensive units do make a sine wave. These
sine waves can be cleaner than what you get out of the
power grid.

Think about it... The square wave would be a problem with
transformers... In modern computers they ALL use transformers
to convert the power down to 5v and 12v.

Errrr..... Virtually ALL modern computers use switching power
supplies. Which is direct rectification of the AC to DC
(at 160V), filtering, and then AC modulation at some high
frequency (20Khz-60Khz or even higher) through a toroidal
step down transformer, then rectification back to DC, filtering
and regulation.

[The advantage to this is that the toroidal transformer
can be very small at this frequency. At 60hz, a "normal"
step down transformer at these power levels would weigh
20 pounds or more. In contrast, at 60Khz the toroid
weighs well under a pound. The economics are such
that these switching power supplies are vastly cheaper
to build and smaller than "classical transformer" supplies]

These power supplies are fairly insensitive to line quality,
and really don't mind square wave at all - in fact the high
voltage filtering is much more effective.

What these power supplies (and ordinary transformers) intensely
dislike is fast transients, or things that can cause them (eg:
_very_ sharply square square waves lead to inductive spiking
especially through ordinary transformers). These spikes
tend to blow holes through transformer insulation or blow
rectifiers and high-side capacitors.

"square sinewave" is an oxymoron ;-) The correct term
is "modified squarewave".
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est

Posted to alt.home.repair
m Ransley

Idle control on my 7500w generac is only from 3600 to 3250. You dont get
much increase in life with that reduction. Idle is 6-800 rpm. Idle
control must spool up to 3600 immediatly on demand of a draw so they
cant allow them to really " idle" at 600. For long life a honda or
Yamaha inverter style does better as it can run at 900 rpm generating,
if minimal current is needed.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Pop

Huh? Are you addressing me? I suspect not because I have NO
idea what you're talking about! ;-). Unless I got really mixed
up, I haven't even seen a UPS mentioned in this thread.

Pop

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
Pop

Hmm, no big points to make, but a few comments inline:

"Chris Lewis" wrote in message
: According to Pop :
: ...
:
: No, not so rare. MANY generators idle during periods of
no-load.
: Most generators around here do, including mine. If there is
ANY
: load though, it jumps up to speed incredibly fast.
:
: These generators tend to be slightly upscale (as in commercial
grade)
: rather than the cheapos you see at HD. Usually not _big_ ones,
because
: they're usually used in circumstances where you're always
drawing power.
: The big ones often operate full time at 1800 RPM.
=== lol, I have an upscale generator? First I've heard of it.
It's a Coleman 5000W, one of their "Industrial" lines (not
"Commercial"; industrial), a term they seemed to use for anything
over 5kW & with all the receptacles, at the time I bought it, on
sale, at Lowes. It cost almost a hundred less than the no-name
5.5kW sitting next to it, but it was the only one left. They
seem to use the "industrial" on anyh of them that have the duplex
receptacle plus a 3-wire and a 4-wire receptacle on the panels.
To me, that would make it a "jobber's" generator, more than
industrial. ;-)
:
[...]
=== Uhhh, I don't know about that. Besides, it's 1725 and 3450,
not 1800 and 3600, right? With an electric motor, the
application much more than the speed determines its life.
Stresses on the bearings laterally and longitudinally, and %
power output are much more the determining factors of the life of
an electric motor. So it really only equates to load, not speed,
with an electric motor. You have many more varaibles with a
generator and I don't feel qualified to speak to any more than
"intuition" and educated guesses about most things generator
wise.

Are you implying that my idle speed is 1800? I really doubt that
from the sound of the motor, but then again I do feel it's well
over 600 rpm, but - that sounds pretty high.

You're really getting me curious now; guess I'll have to find a
way to measure rpm's after all. I can't stand not knowing some
things! ;-(. Up to now, I've figured 60Hz was the only number
I'd bother with checking, but, well, curiousity and all that ...
knowledge is power (who said that?).

Pop

: --
: Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est
: It's not just anyone who gets a Starship Cruiser class named
after them.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Chris Lewis

According to Pop :
"Chris Lewis" wrote in message

=== lol, I have an upscale generator? First I've heard of it.
It's a Coleman 5000W, one of their "Industrial" lines (not
"Commercial"; industrial), a term they seemed to use for anything
over 5kW & with all the receptacles, at the time I bought it, on
sale, at Lowes. It cost almost a hundred less than the no-name
5.5kW sitting next to it, but it was the only one left. They
seem to use the "industrial" on anyh of them that have the duplex
receptacle plus a 3-wire and a 4-wire receptacle on the panels.
To me, that would make it a "jobber's" generator, more than
industrial. ;-)

It may be a new line, or someone is trying to cash in on
touting the "feature".

I don't know whether it's really idling at 1800, it's just
the specs I've read for other generators spec it. The speed
is effectively irrelevant, because it doesn't have to retain
regulation. Just needs to be fast enough so that it doesn't
hesitate and gets up to 3600 FAST. Yet another design
compromise.

=== Uhhh, I don't know about that. Besides, it's 1725 and 3450,
not 1800 and 3600, right? With an electric motor, the
application much more than the speed determines its life.

The 1725/3450 speeds are under rated load - sync slip.
With no load it's 1800/3600.

Stresses on the bearings laterally and longitudinally, and %
power output are much more the determining factors of the life of
an electric motor.

If it's the motor alone, true, but it's the whole thing to consider
with wear. And it's not that big a factor with electric.

Speed matters far more with internal combustion engine wear.
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est
Posted to alt.home.repair
Stormin Mormon

Hmm. Since a 10 HP Tecumseh supplies about 5 KW, what would you need to run
3750 KW?

Typically generators will run with no load. And the thermostat is either
battery, or powered from the furnace.

Are you having your 3750 KW generator delivered by semi trailer, and off
loaded by crane?

--

Christopher A. Young
Do good work.

"TheMightyAtlas" wrote in message
ups.com...

I want to get a generator just to run my furnace fan if the power goes
out during the winter. We are in the Boston area, and the snowstorms
are pretty fierce. I know that 3750kw will be plenty of power for what
I need, but is this as simple as running the generator outside, running
an extension cord into the basement and plugging my furnace fan into
it. Or I guess, plugging everything in, and then starting teh
generator.

Does the generator run even when no power is being drawn from it. Also,
would the thermostat work without power? What about the furnace itself?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Stormin Mormon

That would be some kind of battery!

--

Christopher A. Young
Do good work.

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
.. .

"Oscar_Lives" wrote in message

I don't think the furnace would work without power.

Maybe it will if the thermostat has a battery

Posted to alt.home.repair
Stormin Mormon

If oil won't burn without electricity, what are they doing at the refinery
in England, at the moment? And how many watts did it take for Sadaam to burn
his oil wells?

--

Christopher A. Young
Do good work.

"mm" wrote in message

Maybe gas will burn without electricity--I don't know-- but oil won't.

Gas will burn, but most furnaces today have electronic ignition and
electronically operated gas valves. Of course even if you defeat all of
that, the limit switches won't be working.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Stormin Mormon

Soudns like you have what I call an "octopus". Which some folks call a
millipile generator gas valve furnace. Glad you had heat. Incidentally, get
th at old energy hog replaced some time, you'll save enough on the gas bill
to afford a generator.

Tongiht we are doing freezing rain in NYS. I'm wondering if we have a power
cut in the near future. The octo across the street has a gas range, and has
heated her kitchen with the range. While worrying silly about carbon
monoxide.

--

Christopher A. Young
Do good work.