Posted to alt.home.repair
L. M. Rappaport

Default Generator

On 12 Dec 2005 20:40:42 -0800, "TheMightyAtlas"
wrote (with possible editing):

I want to get a generator just to run my furnace fan if the power goes
out during the winter. We are in the Boston area, and the snowstorms
are pretty fierce. I know that 3750kw will be plenty of power for what
I need, but is this as simple as running the generator outside, running
an extension cord into the basement and plugging my furnace fan into
it. Or I guess, plugging everything in, and then starting teh
generator.

Does the generator run even when no power is being drawn from it.

Yes.

Also, would the thermostat work without power? What about the furnace itself?

Doesn't matter - if it's really a furnace, it needs power to run the
fan. If you meant a boiler, it still needs power to run the
circulator. Both need power if you're burning oil; most need power if
you're burning gas. A thermostat is essentially a single pole, single
throw switch. If it's programmable, it might have a battery.
--

Larry
Email to rapp at lmr dot com