Posted to alt.home.repair
philkryder

Default Generator

Do you know how much electricty your furnace needs?

That would be a good place to start.

I have an interesting story - which unfortunately probably doesn't
apply to your situation - but it illustrates that you want to KNOW what
is really happening before making assumptions.

In January 1978, a blizzard hit our area of the mid-west and left us
without power for 3 days.

Being a good neighbor, I fired up my coleman stove and made some soup
and took to the octegenarian next door.
She thanked me for the soup and asked me to sit for a bit.
I noticed her home was toasty warm.

She explained to me that our homes had had coal furnaces with gravity
air feed that had been converted to natural gas.
She was sure that mine was the same as hers.
She said that she just switched the furnace to "manual" and let it run.
If the house got too warm, she turned the furnace off.
I did the same.
We were warm and cozy.
Many folks had frozen pipes.

My wife and I read "The Long Winter" by Laura Ingalls Wilder aloud to
each other and enjoyed the time off.
-----

Find out what you have, before trying to figure out what you need.

-------
Good luck!
P.S. Consider getting a Propane or Natural Gas powered Generator.
Gasoline stinks and is flamable to store and pour.
Phil