Posted to alt.home.repair
Mitch@this_is_not_a_real_address.com

Default How much to pay for a decent snowblower

I've never owned a snowblower...I've always shoveled.
But we have a pretty huge driveway now.

The price range for snowblowers is pretty big.
Anyone know how much I need to spend for a durable, reliable machine?
Posted to alt.home.repair
yaofeng

I'd get at lease a 5.5 horse gas powered 2 stage. It cost us around
$550 more than 10 years ago. I am surprised the price for a similar
brand new model cost the same even today. If you have room and need
more get an 8 horse model. We bought it in the aftermath of the
historic snow strom which shut down the Garden State for almost three
days. After that we used it probably five times altogether. Still you
need it when the occasion arises.

Posted to alt.home.repair
louie

How much snow? In what part of the world are you located? The
smaller, single-stage blowers are fine for light, occasional snow. The
larger two stages are good for deep snow. If you get a larger
snowblower, consider getting tire chains for it unless it has tracks
instead of tires.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

wrote in message
I've never owned a snowblower...I've always shoveled.
But we have a pretty huge driveway now.

The price range for snowblowers is pretty big.
Anyone know how much I need to spend for a durable, reliable machine?

There are single stage and two stage also. I have a cheap single stage and
it does my 40' driveway satisfactorily. Most snowfalls are 4" to 6" here.
Anything larger or deeper snows, I'd definitely want a bigger two stage as
it will throw the snow further and faster. That would start at $550 or so
as a minimum.

Posted to alt.home.repair
ameijers

wrote in message
I've never owned a snowblower...I've always shoveled.
But we have a pretty huge driveway now.

The price range for snowblowers is pretty big.
Anyone know how much I need to spend for a durable, reliable machine?

There are single stage and two stage also. I have a cheap single stage

and
it does my 40' driveway satisfactorily. Most snowfalls are 4" to 6" here.
Anything larger or deeper snows, I'd definitely want a bigger two stage as
it will throw the snow further and faster. That would start at $550 or so
as a minimum.

I'm in a similar situation to OP- first driveway, at least here is snow
country, of my own. Mebbe 22x60, so not very big, but the middle part is
sloped, and it is heavily coated asphalt. I figure a blower is cheaper than
a new tranny for the car, making multiple attempts to get up the hill. Are
the cheap generics (MTD label this year) that Sam's sells for ~$350, any
good? Or am I better off getting a plow guy on retainer? No idea how much
the going rate is for those.

aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair
josh

wrote
I've never owned a snowblower...I've always shoveled.
But we have a pretty huge driveway now.

The price range for snowblowers is pretty big.
Anyone know how much I need to spend for a durable, reliable machine?

Heh, I've got one for sale simply because I find myself needing exercise in
the winter.

Around my parts in Northeast Ohio, I see large blowers for sale, for a
couple hundred under what they were bought for new. I think maybe people
overbuy for what they're trying to clear.

When I bought the one I'm just putting on the market, I wanted electric &
pull start, definitely a 2 stage. I got an older Toro 2 stage, 5 hp, 21"
width, 3 forward, 1 reverse, with the electric & pull start.

BTW, I'm wanting $280, and it's a nice machine. Don't know if you can use
the price for comparison for your neck of the woods or not. Mine won't hit
the want ads till this weekend, but I suppose I got it listed at a fair
price.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Greg O

wrote in message
I've never owned a snowblower...I've always shoveled.
But we have a pretty huge driveway now.

The price range for snowblowers is pretty big.
Anyone know how much I need to spend for a durable, reliable machine?

You have some variables, How big is your huge driveway? How much snow do you
get? I have 100 feet of drive that is about 1/2 single lane, and 1/2 two
lane. I have problems with buildings in the way so I need to move the snow
twice sometimes! I also have a big problem with drifting snow that I have
not be able to reduce with snow fence, so I get 1-2 feet of snow regularly.
I have an older 8HP Bolens that has served me well, but I wanted more so I
bought a slightly used Toro 10 HP, 28 inch Power Shift last spring. These
machines listed for around $2000 the last year they were made, (2003?), but
I paid $1000 for it. It will move snow better than most any thing sold today
as far as a walk behind! It will blow snow fifty feet away! When I need to
move show I don't screw around, I have little patience for it! One year I
blew snow nearly every day, at least 3 times a week!

Your requirements and pocket book will perhaps be different from mine, but
"my" only other choice for a snow blower was a 9 HP Honda. Honda builds a
wheel or a track drive, but they are spendy machines. May people are
satisfied with lower priced machines. Lower price means lighter weight,
thinner sheet metal, bushings instead of bearings. Husquavarna, Toro and
Ariens are good machines, 8 HP will run over $1000 though.
MTD built units are only fair in my mind.

MTD - http://www.mtdproducts.com/home.jsp

Greg

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

"ameijers" wrote in message

I'm in a similar situation to OP- first driveway, at least here is snow
country, of my own. Mebbe 22x60, so not very big, but the middle part is
sloped, and it is heavily coated asphalt. I figure a blower is cheaper
than
a new tranny for the car, making multiple attempts to get up the hill. Are
the cheap generics (MTD label this year) that Sam's sells for ~$350, any
good? Or am I better off getting a plow guy on retainer? No idea how
much
the going rate is for those.

A lot depends on the layout. In my case, the garage is at the end of the
drive. Plow driver has to back in and push the snow out across the street
but now leaves about 20 feet of packed snow. I get better results using the
blower.

As for the cheap MTD, that is what I have. My MIL bought it for me and it is
not the model I would have bought for myself, OTOH, it works. Sure it
takes longer than the big two stage models, but it is vastly superior to a
shovel. If you have the money, buy a two stage and you won't regret it. If
all you can do is the cheap one, you will enjoy it every time you think
about what a shovel would have taken you. .

At the end of the drive where the plow has packed the snow, mine takes some
time, taking small bites, to get through. Mostly, my neighbor will come
over and do that for me. It is good to treat neighbors and their kids nice
just to reap those benefits.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe V

RobertPatrick wrote:
" wrote in
:

I've never owned a snowblower...I've always shoveled.
But we have a pretty huge driveway now.

The price range for snowblowers is pretty big.
Anyone know how much I need to spend for a durable, reliable machine?

Almost $1,000 - including tax and delivery on 8hp 2 stage TroyBilt.

http://www.troybilt.com/webapp/wcs/s...01_14102_10124
_17694_-1

We have an 8HP Snapper we bought in 2001. This thing even chewed up a
Sunday paper and spit it out like it was nothing. We paid about $1100
for it then and I haven't regretted it. We do not have a large
driveway, but I can plow the whole thing in 35 minutes and I usually
help the retired neighbors with their driveway.
Posted to alt.home.repair
MLD

wrote in message
I've never owned a snowblower...I've always shoveled.
But we have a pretty huge driveway now.

The price range for snowblowers is pretty big.
Anyone know how much I need to spend for a durable, reliable machine?

Unless you only get light , fluffy snow falls, I would suggest a two stage,
no less than 5HP. Add on an electric starter and tire chains--some days
it'll gets mean and stubborn and just don't want to start right away----
that's when you'll really appreciate the starter. I bought an Ariens in 1977
and with minimum maintenance it still is going strong. I would guess that a
new one would be somewhere in the $700-1000 range
MLD

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob G.

On Thu, 01 Dec 2005 20:31:11 GMT,
" wrote:

I've never owned a snowblower...I've always shoveled.
But we have a pretty huge driveway now.

The price range for snowblowers is pretty big.
Anyone know how much I need to spend for a durable, reliable machine?

Location Location Location.... I may live n Florida and have a much
bigger driveway they you do...BUT I bet my snowblower needs are a
little different then yours....

I actually live in Western Maryland and my driveway is only about 200
foot long and I do not get very many snowfalls over 6 to 7
inches...and I do not have to get out of the driveway to go to work
etc,..I can let it melt if I want to...

But generally I would be recommend buying form a Farm Machinery
Dealer, ..
not a Home Depot or Lowes or Sears....

Buyt from a dealer who does his own service..John Deere/ Gravely/
Simplicity/Ford/ etc are examples of machines I looked at.... Can Not
remember what I paid for it YEARS ago... but I can tell you it has
been worth every penny...

Bob G
Posted to alt.home.repair
Chris Lewis

According to Commodore Joe Redcloud :

Having a plow guy is going to cost you a ton more in the long run. I'd expect
that in New England, the $750 snowblower would be a "break-even in about 2 or 3
years. The following 20+ years would be gravy, and in all that time you'll never
have to wait for the plow guy to get done with his BIG accounts before he shows
up at your house.

It's highly dependent on what you have available for a "plow guy".

In our area, there's two choices. The guys with blade-mounted pickup
trucks, and the farmers with heavy duty blower/blade rigs on their
tractors. The latter have divided the area up into regions, with one
designated to each region.

The blade-mounted pickup guys tend to charge a fixed rate ($200-$400CDN) for
a season. They're relatively slow, late to arrive, and with driveways
to clear such as are common around here, it's often not a very good job.

The farmers charge $16/visit (usually 10-12 visits over the season).
Ours does our _big_ driveway in 10 minutes, and he's always got it
done by the time we need it.

I have a tractor with a blower. It takes me around 2 hours to do it. I'm
having to perform maintenance and repairs - it's a _good_ tractor (Cadet
hydrostatic), but it's feeling its age. Head gaskets last summer, "split
the tractor" (ugh!!!) next summer to replace part of the drive shaft. Wheel
bearings. Pulley bearings. Belts. Hard to start in cold weather.
Leaky tires (hawthorn, sigh. I really need to replace 'em). Thing
doesn't steer very well on ice, occasionally gets stuck. Frozen
battery every couple of years.

And, it's not enclosed, so I get a good faceful (worse, snow on
the kidneys, I have to remember to wear the insulated overalls and
a full face shield). And sometimes I'm just too tired/busy to do it.

No, I don't do it myself anymore. Not worth it, both in time and money.
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est
Posted to alt.home.repair
Mitch@this_is_not_a_real_address.com

How big a driveway? Is it paved? Hill?

More info: I'm in northwestern Illinois. The driveway is level. I'd
estimate the straight part is about 100' long, but then there's a
semi-circular driveway that's probably 150-200' total.

I have a Consumer Reports digest that says there was a snowblower
report in Oct. 2004, which was right before we subscribed.

If anyone has that info and wants just post the bottom line, that
would be great.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob G.

On Thu, 01 Dec 2005 20:31:11 GMT,
" wrote:

I've never owned a snowblower...I've always shoveled.
But we have a pretty huge driveway now.

The price range for snowblowers is pretty big.
Anyone know how much I need to spend for a durable, reliable machine?

===============
Really depends on Location location & location PLUS how big a drive
you will need to clear....

I have owned a Simplicitry 8Hp snow blower for over 10 years now...in
fact just woke it up this morning and brought it up to the house .
and it fired right up did not even turn over twice before it was
running...

It was not cheap...(slightly over $1,000) but it has been mostly
trouble free... and the few times I had problems the Farm Machenry
dealer had it "fixed" and working within a few hours... they will pick
up and deliver within 10 miles free...

I always recommend a dealer who has on site repair shops like Farm
Equiptment dealers etc... Home Depot, Sears and Lowes do not get any
of my business for lawn and garden equiptment...

I figure my cost is now about 100 bucks a year (and dropping) plus I
have not had another heart attack shoveling snow

Bob G.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Mitch@this_is_not_a_real_address.com

On 2 Dec 2005 09:13:50 -0800, "z" wrote:

I remember that test. The bottom line that stuck in my mind was that if
you have serious snow, you need a two stage snowblower.

Yeah, from what I've read since yesterday that seems to be the one
point I need to look for. Seems like electric start may be important,
too.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Keith Williams

In article ,
" says...
On 2 Dec 2005 09:13:50 -0800, "z" wrote:

I remember that test. The bottom line that stuck in my mind was that if
you have serious snow, you need a two stage snowblower.

Yeah, from what I've read since yesterday that seems to be the one
point I need to look for. Seems like electric start may be important,
too.

I've not found electric start to be very useful at all. I've used
it once (this year - first start). The things aren't hard to start
these days. One pull is all I've ever needed, at least during the
season.

--
Keith

Posted to alt.home.repair
Mitch@this_is_not_a_real_address.com

On Fri, 2 Dec 2005 14:22:53 -0500, Keith Williams
wrote:

I've not found electric start to be very useful at all.

So if I keep my garage at 50 degrees, you think I don't need it at
all?
Posted to alt.home.repair
Keith Williams

In article ,
" says...
wrote:

I've not found electric start to be very useful at all.

So if I keep my garage at 50 degrees, you think I don't need it at
all?

If it's 50F outside you certainly won't need it. ;-)

My garage isn't heated at all and I've started (both of) mine at
-20F; one pull. Modern engines are much easier to start than older
ones.

--
Keith
Posted to alt.home.repair
John F.

I just went thru this whole mental PIA decision process. I started with the
idea $700. would get me something decent. Maybe for very light snow areas.
I ended up spending $975.00 plus tax on sale at Sears. For your area you
probably need 9 to 10 HP. Most all of them use a Tecumseh or Briggs &
Stratton motor.
I got tons of good info from the guys here but ONE point you want to check
is the height of the handles relative to you. If they are too high IT WILL
BE ONE AWKWARD AND PAINFUL MACHINE TO MANAGE. The second thing is the
ability to turn the machine. If you don't have a clutch for wheel lock so
you can turn easily you will need a runway to make a turn unless you like
bulldogging the machine. Two stgage is a must. It appears that only real
the lower priced machinces do not have electric start. Electric start
incidentally is NOT BATTERY started. I totally recommend it. If you need
to change the direction you throw the snow frequently then compare the
chute mecahanisms carefully. The crank style is a pain. Speeds: i don't
know if 6 is better than 5 and I don't know yet why I need to reverse
speeds. Buy a snow cab for an extra $100.00.

wrote:

I've not found electric start to be very useful at all.

So if I keep my garage at 50 degrees, you think I don't need it at
all?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Greg O

wrote:

I've not found electric start to be very useful at all.

So if I keep my garage at 50 degrees, you think I don't need it at
all?

Heated garage? Skip the electric start unless you are a 90 pound grandma!
Greg

Posted to alt.home.repair
Stormin Mormon

Off topic of price, please be sure to research maintenance. I've seen at
lesat two snow blowers where the chain had not been oiled. Really set up,
and a lot of work to replace the drive chain. Worth researching how to oil
the various parts, every year.

Drive belts need to be replaced. I know... mine did. Not all drive belt
sellers are the same. One local place sold me a belt that was twisted into a
plastic bag. That promptly threw off the pulley and jammed. Another online
place was both cheaper, but also shipped me flat belt (which I've been using
since then).

--

Christopher A. Young
Do good work.

wrote in message
I've never owned a snowblower...I've always shoveled.
But we have a pretty huge driveway now.

The price range for snowblowers is pretty big.
Anyone know how much I need to spend for a durable, reliable machine?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim

Commodore Joe Redcloud© wrote:

During the busy season, if a "Home Depot" snowblower shows up at the
Tractor dealer with a problem, and an hour later I bring in the one I
bought from the tractor store, who do you suppose will get their
snow thrower back first?

Once upon a time I believed that was the case. Where I am we have lawn
and garden retailers. Purchase a mower from them and expect better
service. Truth is you'll still wait until their bread and butter
commercial customers have been taken care off. Bet the same holds true
in the winter season with snow throwers.

I purchased an MTD snow thrower 9 years ago at COSTCO. So far it has
been serving me fine. Regular oil changes and lubrication helps. So
does not pushing through a drift when the system is already bogging down
from the load. Let any machine remain working at it's optimum speeds
and chances are they'll last much longer.

Posted to alt.home.repair
allan

Get a two stage Arens - it will not fail you.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Keith Williams wrote:
In article ,
" says...
On 2 Dec 2005 09:13:50 -0800, "z" wrote:

I remember that test. The bottom line that stuck in my mind was that if
you have serious snow, you need a two stage snowblower.

Yeah, from what I've read since yesterday that seems to be the one
point I need to look for. Seems like electric start may be important,
too.

I've not found electric start to be very useful at all. I've used
it once (this year - first start). The things aren't hard to start
these days. One pull is all I've ever needed, at least during the
season.

--
Keith

I find a can of starter spray does nicely.

Posted to alt.home.repair
ameijers

Okay, a followup question. (and yes, I will be checking Google)- in doing
some casual snow-blower tire kicking today, while running other errands, I
couldn't help noticing that several brands and models appeared to be the
same machine, just with different badges. How many companies really make
these things? And other than, say, nicer tires, is the 600 dollar Toro any
better than the 500 dollar MTD twin at Sams?

aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair
KLS

On Mon, 05 Dec 2005 02:49:46 GMT, Commodore Joe Redcloud
wrote:

On Mon, 05 Dec 2005 01:45:58 GMT, "ameijers" wrote:
Okay, a followup question. (and yes, I will be checking Google)- in doing
some casual snow-blower tire kicking today, while running other errands, I
couldn't help noticing that several brands and models appeared to be the
same machine, just with different badges. How many companies really make
these things? And other than, say, nicer tires, is the 600 dollar Toro any
better than the 500 dollar MTD twin at Sams?

I am sure that some machines are re-badged generics, but as you point out, they
still may not be exactly the same in all respects. Even nicer tires on a
snowblower can be a substantial difference. Chances are, if you look them over
more closely, there will be other differences too. Meanwhile you are cheating
yourself by buying at a big box store. You really are. You can get more value
for the same price by going to a real power equipment retailer. This isn't a $30
disposable toaster purchase. You are going to have this thing for 30 years or
so.

Commodore is absolutely right: a lot of these smaller shops are
selling at prices very competitive with the big box stores, and the
service is unrivaled. I bought a new Weber grill last year not from
HD, but from a local merchant for the SAME price, and the local
merchant ALSO threw in a cute $5 jar of hot sauce and filled up my
propane tank at no extra charge. HD doesn't do that!

Please, do yourself and your local economy a favor and look in your
yellow pages for local power equipment dealers and buy from them. In
the case of a snowthrower, you might pay slightly more than from HD,
but you will almost certainly get a better machine and you definitely
will get better service.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Greg O

"ameijers" wrote in message

Okay, a followup question. (and yes, I will be checking Google)- in doing
some casual snow-blower tire kicking today, while running other errands, I
couldn't help noticing that several brands and models appeared to be the
same machine, just with different badges. How many companies really make
these things? And other than, say, nicer tires, is the 600 dollar Toro any
better than the 500 dollar MTD twin at Sams?

aem sends...

Does this help answer your question?