KTECH

Default Dremmel tool

I need to cut a small 1/4 deep slot in my drive to allow for water flow from
a low spot to the edge of driveway. I can start at driveway edge so it is
possible to start at open edge. the cut would be about 10"long. Could this
be done with a dremmel tool and if so what type of wheel or bit would be
best. I don' t want to use a saw or large wheel because I want to keep th
drain as neat as possible.
Frank

PaPaPeng

On Mon, 7 Nov 2005 12:43:58 -0600, "KTECH" wrote:

I need to cut a small 1/4 deep slot in my drive to allow for water flow from
a low spot to the edge of driveway. I can start at driveway edge so it is
possible to start at open edge. the cut would be about 10"long. Could this
be done with a dremmel tool and if so what type of wheel or bit would be
best. I don' t want to use a saw or large wheel because I want to keep th
drain as neat as possible.
Frank

Use an angle grinder with a fiberwheel. This tool should cost around
$30, much cheaper than a Dremel. The Dremel is far too small and weak
a tool for what you ant to use it for. You might consider using a
cold chisel to chip the slot first and then use the grinder to smooth
out the slot.
Robert Allison

KTECH wrote:
I need to cut a small 1/4 deep slot in my drive to allow for water flow from
a low spot to the edge of driveway. I can start at driveway edge so it is
possible to start at open edge. the cut would be about 10"long. Could this
be done with a dremmel tool and if so what type of wheel or bit would be
best. I don' t want to use a saw or large wheel because I want to keep th
drain as neat as possible.
Frank

The blades for dremels are not thick enough to give you a cut
that would drain the water away (at least not with just one
pass. You can get a wide enough cut with a grinder with a
masonry wheel. From my experience, you will get a neater cut
with the grinder than you will from a dremel, anyway.

If you must use the dremel, then use a masonry wheel. The cut
is only going to be about 1/32 wide unless you make 2 passes
and then chip out the material between the passes.

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.
Duane Bozarth

Robert Allison wrote:

KTECH wrote:
[...]

And I'd think it would take a zillion of the little Dremel cutters as
ime they'll just melt away w/ that kind of abuse...

I'd get a masonry blade for the hand circular saw and use it w/ a guide
block to make two or three passes...
SJF

"KTECH" wrote in message
I need to cut a small 1/4 deep slot in my drive to allow for water flow
from a low spot to the edge of driveway. I can start at driveway edge so it
is possible to start at open edge. the cut would be about 10"long. Could
this be done with a dremmel tool and if so what type of wheel or bit would
be best. I don' t want to use a saw or large wheel because I want to keep
th drain as neat as possible.
Frank

You'll never get it done with the Dremel. I have fixed such low spots by
drilling a 1/2 inch hole completely through the concrete which "should" be
about 4" thick. Lets the small amount of water seep away. Use a masonry
drill, of course, but be prepared for some frustration if very hard rock was
used to make the concrete.

SJF

Colbyt

"Duane Bozarth" wrote in message
Robert Allison wrote:

KTECH wrote:
[...]

While I agree that an angle grinder is a better tool for this job then the
dremel.

I agree even more with Duane that a circ saw and masonry blade is the way to
go. Multiple passes and you can make it deeper towards the edge if
necessary.

The drill a hole suggestion may be the winner for best looks.

Colbyt

No

As others have said the Dremel isn't the right tool. You didn't say if
it was concrete or asphalt. If its asphalt you may be able to heat it
with a blowtorch and then use a wide blade chisel to compress a trough
in the blacktop.

Gary Dyrkacz

On Mon, 7 Nov 2005 12:43:58 -0600, "KTECH" wrote:

I need to cut a small 1/4 deep slot in my drive to allow for water flow from
a low spot to the edge of driveway. I can start at driveway edge so it is
possible to start at open edge. the cut would be about 10"long. Could this
be done with a dremmel tool and if so what type of wheel or bit would be
best. I don' t want to use a saw or large wheel because I want to keep th
drain as neat as possible.
Frank

If you have a cicular saw, DeWalt sells a 7" high performance masonary
diamond blade. You can pick it up at stores like Home Depot for about
$20. This produces a very thin cut ( and one heck of a lot of
concrete dust) For a 10" or even a 10' cut the job will take take
longer to set up than do.

If you try and use a Dremel tool it will probably cost you more than
$20 in discs alone. You probably will not end up with a neat cut
anyway.
Gary Dyrkacz

Radio Control Aircraft/Paintball Physics/Paintball for 40+
http://home.comcast.net/~dyrgcmn/
Jim Yanik

Gary Dyrkacz wrote in
:

On Mon, 7 Nov 2005 12:43:58 -0600, "KTECH" wrote:

I need to cut a small 1/4 deep slot in my drive to allow for water
flow from a low spot to the edge of driveway. I can start at driveway
edge so it is possible to start at open edge. the cut would be about
10"long. Could this be done with a dremmel tool and if so what type of
wheel or bit would be best. I don' t want to use a saw or large wheel
because I want to keep th drain as neat as possible.
Frank

If you have a cicular saw, DeWalt sells a 7" high performance masonary
diamond blade. You can pick it up at stores like Home Depot for about
$20. This produces a very thin cut ( and one heck of a lot of
concrete dust)

You might want to rig op a ShopVac to suck up the dust before it gets into
the circ saw.

Or you could RENT a concrete saw that uses water to keep the dust under
control.
And do the job a lot faster and easier.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
autonut843

I used the "drill a hole with a masonry bit" technique and it worked
great. Most functional, not visible, easy. If you do decide to go the
dremel route, please borrow a video camera with a time lapse feature so
we can watch your progress. Make sure you have enough tapes for it
though. ;-)

mm

On Mon, 7 Nov 2005 12:43:58 -0600, "KTECH" wrote:

I need to cut a small 1/4 deep slot in my drive to allow for water flow from
a low spot to the edge of driveway. I can start at driveway edge so it is
possible to start at open edge. the cut would be about 10"long. Could this
be done with a dremmel tool and if so what type of wheel or bit would be
best. I don' t want to use a saw or large wheel because I want to keep th
drain as neat as possible.
Frank

So it's unanimous that a Dremel won't work.

I'll just add that if you actually could make a little slot with it,
I'm not positive the water would drain out. It might get sucked into
the slot by gravity or capillary action, but refuse to leave at the
driveway edge. Same problem with holes. That's why the other poster
recommended a half inch hole. The world is a complicated place, even
at this level.

I"m not recommending it, and I hate it when two kinds of cement don't
match, but is there a nice way to fill the depression?

..

Remove NOPSAM to email me. Please let
me know if you have posted also.
KTECH

Default Dremmel tool( thanks)

Thanks to all. I guess my idea using the dremmel tool ain't the way to go.
Kind of interested of building up the low spot . Problem is I never could
make concrete stick to any patching material.Guess I'll try to grind away.
Frank
"Jim Yanik" wrote in message
.. .
Gary Dyrkacz wrote in
:

[...]

Bob

"KTECH" wrote in message
I need to cut a small 1/4 deep slot in my drive to allow

for water flow from
a low spot to the edge of driveway. I can start at

driveway edge so it is
possible to start at open edge. the cut would be about

10"long. Could this
be done with a dremmel tool and if so what type of wheel

or bit would be
best. I don' t want to use a saw or large wheel because I

want to keep th
drain as neat as possible.
Frank

You can get cheap masonry abrasive blades for your circular
saw for a couple bucks. One of them should do the job. You
could even set the saw to a 45 degree angle to make it a
notch, if you are very careful. Set up a fan to blow the
dust away from you and the saw.

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair
autonut843

"m not recommending it, and I hate it when two kinds of cement don't
match, but is there a nice way to fill the depression?

I have a co-worker who is very very smart in the microwave/RF world and
for his garage floor he had the idea to mix up some BONDO to even up a
low spot.

Haven't heard how it worked yet. I'll ask him if it did the trick.

Posted to alt.home.repair
autonut843

Well, I stopped by and asked my co-worker how the bondo worked. He is
very pleased with how it worked out.
Made me want to go out and do a patch in a local road just to do a wear
test.

Tool Guide Joe AutoDrill Metalworking 5 April 14th 05 05:39 PM
Tool Guide Joe AutoDrill Woodworking 4 April 13th 05 02:50 AM
Surface finish [email protected] Metalworking 14 June 20th 04 12:04 AM
Leatherman Tool Henry E Schaffer Woodworking 13 August 27th 03 06:17 AM