Kevin

Default Cabinet too low for Over-The-Range Microwave

I have 29" from the top of my stove to the bottom of the cabinet directly
above (vent hood is installed now). My house was built in 1984.

I wanted to get an OTR microwave with a vent hood but they all seem to be
about 16.5 inches in height which would leave me with about 12.5 inches from
the stove to the bottom of the microwave. Even if that was within code,
which I'm sure it isn't, I could't reach the range top very well.

Am I just stuck, or are there shorter OTR microwaves with vents built in?
Even if it was narrower also, it would be ok.

Shirley Thebaglady

My daughter has hers over the hood and it came with a fan for exhaust in
it.

It seems to me hers is shorter in height but longer in length. I do not
know the brand though. It is about 4 years old now.

She had to have an electrcian install a special plug for it.

shirley

Joseph Meehan

Kevin wrote:
I have 29" from the top of my stove to the bottom of the cabinet
directly above (vent hood is installed now). My house was built in
1984.

I wanted to get an OTR microwave with a vent hood but they all seem
to be about 16.5 inches in height which would leave me with about
12.5 inches from the stove to the bottom of the microwave. Even if
that was within code, which I'm sure it isn't, I could't reach the
range top very well.

Am I just stuck, or are there shorter OTR microwaves with vents built
in? Even if it was narrower also, it would be ok.

I don't have an answer to your question, but I will suggest that if you
have a choice, I would avoid a OTR microwave. It is not a good spot for a
microwave. It is exposed to additional heat and it is not easy to get food
into and out of nor is it easy to clean. I do realize that with some small
kitchens it can be an attractive idea and might prove useful. Best of luck.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Wayne Boatwright

On Mon 07 Nov 2005 05:07:57a, Joseph Meehan wrote in alt.home.repair:

Kevin wrote:
[...]

Sorry, but I can't agree. We've had an OTR microwave in three different
homes and have never experienced any of the "problems" you describe. In
only one of those homes was saving space a consideration.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974
Michael Daly

On 7-Nov-2005, "Kevin" wrote:

I have 29" from the top of my stove to the bottom of the cabinet directly
above (vent hood is installed now).

If the cabinets are modular and easy to disassemble, it's not too hard
to cut them down to size. I did that for a freind. I unbolted the
cabinet from the others and the wall, disassembled it, cut down the sides
and reassembled it. The doors were no longer available in that style,
so I was unable to buy new ones of the right size. The rails and stiles
on the door were glued on and came off easily with a dead-blow hammer.
I cut them down, as well as the interior panel, and glued the whole thing
back together. I had to remount the lower hinges - the most difficult part
of the exercise since they are European style hinges.

Most folks couldn't tell the cabinet wasn't made that way. I can, but
then most workmen can see the tiny flaws they regret making in a bit
of work.

Mike

Kevin

"Michael Daly" wrote in message

On 7-Nov-2005, "Kevin" wrote:

[...]

Thanks, thats kind of what I was thinking, now I just have to learn how cut
straight.

Calvin Henry-Cotnam

Kevin ) said...

I have 29" from the top of my stove to the bottom of the cabinet directly
above (vent hood is installed now). My house was built in 1984.

I wanted to get an OTR microwave with a vent hood but they all seem to be
about 16.5 inches in height which would leave me with about 12.5 inches from
the stove to the bottom of the microwave. Even if that was within code,
which I'm sure it isn't, I could't reach the range top very well.

Your codes may vary from this but where I am (Ontario, Canada) our building
code states that there must be 30" above the level of the burners or
elements, except that non-combustible or protected materials may be 24".

--
Calvin Henry-Cotnam
- Napoleon

"Thanks, thats kind of what I was thinking, now I just have to learn
how cut
straight. "

If you decide to go that route, I would suggest removing the cabinet
and then take it to either a cabinet shop or finish carpenter to
downsize it for you. Given the cost of screwing it up, IMO, it's
better to have it done by a professional.