Calvin Henry-Cotnam

Default Cabinet too low for Over-The-Range Microwave

Kevin ) said...

I have 29" from the top of my stove to the bottom of the cabinet directly
above (vent hood is installed now). My house was built in 1984.

I wanted to get an OTR microwave with a vent hood but they all seem to be
about 16.5 inches in height which would leave me with about 12.5 inches from
the stove to the bottom of the microwave. Even if that was within code,
which I'm sure it isn't, I could't reach the range top very well.

Your codes may vary from this but where I am (Ontario, Canada) our building
code states that there must be 30" above the level of the burners or
elements, except that non-combustible or protected materials may be 24".

--
Calvin Henry-Cotnam
- Napoleon