Joseph Meehan

Default Cabinet too low for Over-The-Range Microwave

Kevin wrote:
I have 29" from the top of my stove to the bottom of the cabinet
directly above (vent hood is installed now). My house was built in
1984.

I wanted to get an OTR microwave with a vent hood but they all seem
to be about 16.5 inches in height which would leave me with about
12.5 inches from the stove to the bottom of the microwave. Even if
that was within code, which I'm sure it isn't, I could't reach the
range top very well.

Am I just stuck, or are there shorter OTR microwaves with vents built
in? Even if it was narrower also, it would be ok.

I don't have an answer to your question, but I will suggest that if you
have a choice, I would avoid a OTR microwave. It is not a good spot for a
microwave. It is exposed to additional heat and it is not easy to get food
into and out of nor is it easy to clean. I do realize that with some small
kitchens it can be an attractive idea and might prove useful. Best of luck.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit