Brad Bruce

Default Jetted Tub Opinions

The SWMBO wants the bathroom in a house we are buying updated.

It was built in 1978 and has HIDEOUS blue tile in the tub/shower area. If
I'm redoing the tile, I might as well replace the tub.

We're interested in the American Standard "Plebe" jetted tub, but haven't
been able to find any comments about it. Has anyone here installed/used
one?

Thanks
Brad
Dr. Hardcrab

"Brad Bruce" wrote in message
6...
The SWMBO wants the bathroom in a house we are buying updated.

It was built in 1978 and has HIDEOUS blue tile in the tub/shower area. If
I'm redoing the tile, I might as well replace the tub.

We're interested in the American Standard "Plebe" jetted tub, but haven't
been able to find any comments about it. Has anyone here installed/used
one?

Just my opinion (and I am trying to convince the boss, er, wife):

Skip the Jacuzzi type tub and get a hot tub instead......

Brad Bruce

"Dr. Hardcrab" wrote in

"Brad Bruce" wrote in message
6...
The SWMBO wants the bathroom in a house we are buying updated.

It was built in 1978 and has HIDEOUS blue tile in the tub/shower
area. If I'm redoing the tile, I might as well replace the tub.

We're interested in the American Standard "Plebe" jetted tub, but
haven't been able to find any comments about it. Has anyone here
installed/used one?

Just my opinion (and I am trying to convince the boss, er, wife):

Skip the Jacuzzi type tub and get a hot tub instead......

So. Regular tub in the bathroom, and a hot tub on the patio....

We'll see.......
Rich Greenberg

In article ,
Brad Bruce wrote:
The SWMBO wants the bathroom in a house we are buying updated.

Whats a SWMBO?

Tell him that he is free to upgrade the bathroom after he buys the
house.

Dr. Hardcrab

"Brad Bruce" wrote in message
6...
"Dr. Hardcrab" wrote in

"Brad Bruce" wrote in message
6...
The SWMBO wants the bathroom in a house we are buying updated.

It was built in 1978 and has HIDEOUS blue tile in the tub/shower
area. If I'm redoing the tile, I might as well replace the tub.

We're interested in the American Standard "Plebe" jetted tub, but
haven't been able to find any comments about it. Has anyone here
installed/used one?

Just my opinion (and I am trying to convince the boss, er, wife):

Skip the Jacuzzi type tub and get a hot tub instead......

So. Regular tub in the bathroom, and a hot tub on the patio....

We'll see.......

That's what I want. I know, I know. She wants to "soak" in a tub and you
can't do that in a hot tub (that's what she says).

Maybe it's the way that I was brought up: You take a SHOWER to get clean,
not a bath. My pappy always said if you sit in a tub to get clean, while you
are washing up, you're just soaking in the "dirty" water.....

Brad Bruce

"Dr. Hardcrab" wrote in

"Brad Bruce" wrote in message
6...
"Dr. Hardcrab" wrote in

"Brad Bruce" wrote in message
6...
[...]

Sounds like "Lewis Grizzard".

For those who don't know, he was a newspaper columnist in the south who
told it like it was. Very much along the tub-vs-shower comment above.
SQLit

"Brad Bruce" wrote in message
6...
The SWMBO wants the bathroom in a house we are buying updated.

It was built in 1978 and has HIDEOUS blue tile in the tub/shower area. If
I'm redoing the tile, I might as well replace the tub.

We're interested in the American Standard "Plebe" jetted tub, but haven't
been able to find any comments about it. Has anyone here installed/used
one?

Thanks
Brad

I installed one for my bathroom remodel. I like the deeper water level and
the fact that it really fit the opening of the other tub. I removed part of
the wall to get the rust piece of junk out and the new AS in. I have no
complaints it works as a soaker/reading lounge for me.
It does put a hurt on the water heater, since I live alone there is no
worries about that.

I might consider paying for a porcelain tub the next time. I am not
planning on keeping this home much more than a year.

The pump location is opposite the drain, and needs a separate GFCI circuit
and access door.

Brad Bruce

"SQLit" wrote in
:

"Brad Bruce" wrote in message
6...
[...]

Well that stinks. Does the apron come off to access the motor? It would
be placed against an outside wall (no access panel).

Then again there's the bedroom closet next to the bathroom....

Brad
Wes Stewart

On Sun, 23 Oct 2005 22:15:46 GMT, "Dr. Hardcrab"
wrote:

"Brad Bruce" wrote in message
96...
The SWMBO wants the bathroom in a house we are buying updated.

It was built in 1978 and has HIDEOUS blue tile in the tub/shower area. If
I'm redoing the tile, I might as well replace the tub.

We're interested in the American Standard "Plebe" jetted tub, but haven't
been able to find any comments about it. Has anyone here installed/used
one?

Just my opinion (and I am trying to convince the boss, er, wife):

Skip the Jacuzzi type tub and get a hot tub instead......

I second that. I'm redoing a bathroom (currently w/o a tub) and
wouldn't consider a jetted tub. We did buy an outdoor hot tub/spa,
however.

My only experience with jetted tubs is the time we rented an upscale
hotel room and decided to try one out. When I saw the crap coming out
of the jets that was left over from the previous users, I decided to
take a shower instead.

With the spa, the water is repeatedly circulated and filtered with a
sanitizer added. With the jetted tub, the pump/piping is full of
water left over from the last bather.

Brad Bruce

Wes Stewart wrote in
:

On Sun, 23 Oct 2005 22:15:46 GMT, "Dr. Hardcrab"
wrote:

"Brad Bruce" wrote in message
. 196...
[...]

I thought they drained when the water level went below the jets.

Brad
Wes Stewart

On Mon, 24 Oct 2005 01:01:00 GMT, Brad Bruce
wrote:

Wes Stewart wrote in
:

On Sun, 23 Oct 2005 22:15:46 GMT, "Dr. Hardcrab"
wrote:

"Brad Bruce" wrote in message
.196...
[...]

Maybe some do, or they're all supposed to... my experience was limited
but distasteful.

No

I'm not sure which exact AS model I installed abd I couldn't find
'Plebe' via the search on their website. I got mine at Home Cheapo
several years ago. It was deep, had jets. The motor was loud. Like
another poster said, the motor will need an access pannel if you
install it as a drop in. There is an optional skirt if you do not
install as a drop in. My access pannel is a tiled area in the front. To
get to the motor you would need to cut the grout to remove the pannel.
The GFI requirement was met my using a GFI breaker. This is a
fibergalss tub. I set mine in a mortar bed for additional support.
Build a form/dam out of cardboard to keep it contained. The kids loved
it for bubble baths! Only annoyance, beside the loud motor, was that if
the water level was below the back rest jets it would shoot water out
and against the opposite wall! The jets could be adjusted but we liked
them full strength.

wkearney99

Just my opinion (and I am trying to convince the boss, er, wife):
Skip the Jacuzzi type tub and get a hot tub instead......

Amen to that idea. Filling that jetted tub puts a real dent in both your
water and your heating bill. As opposed to filling a hot tub once a quarter
and keeping it at a steady temperature. Sure, it'll cost you "something" to
keep that tub warm but it'd undoubtedly be less than filling a bathtub more
than once a week. Besides, it's MUCH more relaxing to be able to come home
and get right into the tub without having to fill it first. Ease of access
like that makes it a lot more likely it'll get used. Most folks I know with
jetted tubs all say they really never get around to using them.

wkearney99

That's what I want. I know, I know. She wants to "soak" in a tub and you
can't do that in a hot tub (that's what she says).

And why's that? My wife seems to get a lot more use out of the hot tub than
she'd expected. I probably only use it about once or twice a week but she's
in there almost every other night. You can use a tub without having all the
jets on, or even with none of them running, and just sit there soaking.
Heck, someone even makes a 'hammock' of sorts that'll let you rest in a
prone position if you tub doesn't already have that sort of seating
arrangement. Set the tub up in a way that offers a bit of privacy, being
sure to allow for overhead viewing of the night sky, and ledge close by for
candles. We're moving ours to be flush-mounted into a new deck but right
now it's just a few steps from a door and is shielded from view with nearby
fencing and shrubbery.

Maybe it's the way that I was brought up: You take a SHOWER to get clean,
not a bath. My pappy always said if you sit in a tub to get clean, while

you
are washing up, you're just soaking in the "dirty" water.....

Well, that all depends on how dirty you are to begin with. That and hot
tubs generally take less maintenance if you use them au naturel. Laundry
detergents don't come completely out of garments and that can end up making
the tub cleaning a little more frequent or you can just add anti-foaming
agents.

Run the numbers, see how many gallons it takes to fill that jetted tub.
Factor in how much it costs to heat that much water, and also consider how
much that'll drain the tank (you may need a larger HW heater). There's also
the added the cost of a jetted tub. Then factor in never using it. A
dedicated hot tub is almost always a better deal all around. If you've got
the room it's really something you should consider.

When we re-did our bathroom I did put in a larger (wider) tub. This more
for the added standing room for dual shower heads than actual tub soaking
use. I could've put a jetted tub in there but I just didn't want the
potential hassles of having to fix it when it eventually broke down from
lack of use.

But if you must I'd probably look into an air bubble tub instead of a jetted
one. It's nice ot have the bubbling effect in a tub and it's got a lot less
to break down or get moldy than a fully jetted tub. Most jetted tubs I've
seen don't really compare to the versatility of a hot tub.

The jet flow in most tubs doesn't really end up doing much besides just
pusing the water around. A decent, mid-range hot tub will have at the
minumum a nice set of specific seating patterns. Areas geared for just the
back, calves or even just the soles of the feet. If anything the only
reason I'd upgrade our current tub would be to get one that has setups
specifically for lower calves and feet. Otherwise I just sit up on the lip
and use the back setup for them.

Make the argument this way, will she /really/ use the inside tub on a
regular basis? Then hit her with the added water/heating costs. Then focus
on what it'd take to make the idea of an outside tub acceptable. Privacy is
usually the main issue so factor the costs of rearranging the patio area a
bit. That and some NICE fluffy robes along with a rack or hooks for them.
You really can't go wrong with a hot tub. The maintenance on them is
trivial these days and they're soooo much nicer than a tub stuck in the
bathroom sitting right next to the toilet.

-Bill Kearney

Wes Stewart

On Tue, 25 Oct 2005 10:10:33 -0400, "wkearney99"
wrote some good stuff:

[snip]

The maintenance on them is
trivial these days and they're soooo much nicer than a tub stuck in the
bathroom sitting right next to the toilet.

Instead of looking at the toilet, we look at a full-grown Saguaro
cactus next to the tub and the night sky over the desert west of
Tucson. Nothing beats soaking in the tub while sipping Champagne and
watching a meteor shower.

Finish Nailer opinions?? Ol' Texan Woodworking 5 January 17th 05 10:42 AM
OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
Buying a new press brake, opinions? KMC Metalworking 2 August 3rd 04 07:02 PM
opinions on machine suppliers michael Metalworking 0 July 31st 04 07:16 PM
Wagner Contractor sprayers opinions Dave Home Repair 2 July 1st 04 11:20 PM