geezer

Default REQ: Need Help On American Standard Toilet

O have a one year old American Standard 'Low Consumption Water Closet'
(keyword = Low Consumption). The only somewhat readable ident info on
it is

9317-N
6.0 lpf/1.6gpf

I was working just fine until about two weeks ago. Now it does not
want to flush completely. I don't think my waste has increased
measurably, so it appears to me that not enough water is being drawn
from the tank to the bowl. In fact - the thing seems to want to do
the flushing action before the tank is half empty. I never noticed
that before.

I thought if I could get more water to the bowl that the flushing
would be increased, but I quickly discovered that even if I hold the
handle down (thereby emptying the tank), the flushing action still
occurs half-way through and the rest of the tank-water simply passes
through the bowl (rather slowly) out to the exit.

So I guess what I am saying here is that this toilet wants to flush on
half a tank of water no matter what. Can that be so?

I have tried shortening the draw chain (to the rubber whatever), and
reducing/removing/increasing the size of what looks to be a yellow
sponge float on that chain. I have even tried moving that float (if
that is what it is).

Am I stuck with this?

Help please
SQLit

"geezer" wrote in message
[...]

WAG

The flapper that closes on the tank can get waterlogged or not hold open
long enough.
Take the top off next time and hold the handle until the flush is complete.
If it works fine then you may need an adjustment or a new flapper.

geezer

On Sun, 25 Sep 2005 11:51:15 -0700, "SQLit" wrote:

WAG

The flapper that closes on the tank can get waterlogged or not hold open
long enough.
Take the top off next time and hold the handle until the flush is complete.
If it works fine then you may need an adjustment or a new flapper.

No No No I said that even when I hold the handle until tank empties
its water, the flushing action actually occurs halfway not at the end
which is the way I want it. No idea why.

Thanks
Don Young

I have found that poor flushing is often due to partial restrictions between
the tank and the bowl, generally the small openings under the rim. Good
flushing depends on a fast dumping of the tank water into the bowl. Try
flushing with a separate bucket of water and you can see what I mean. Pour
slowly and you get poor or no siphoning action in the bowl. Dump quickly and
it works great.
Don Young
"geezer" wrote in message
On Sun, 25 Sep 2005 11:51:15 -0700, "SQLit" wrote:

WAG

The flapper that closes on the tank can get waterlogged or not hold open
long enough.
Take the top off next time and hold the handle until the flush is
complete.
If it works fine then you may need an adjustment or a new flapper.

No No No I said that even when I hold the handle until tank empties
its water, the flushing action actually occurs halfway not at the end
which is the way I want it. No idea why.

Thanks

Goedjn

The flapper that closes on the tank can get waterlogged or not hold open
long enough.
Take the top off next time and hold the handle until the flush is complete.
If it works fine then you may need an adjustment or a new flapper.

No No No I said that even when I hold the handle until tank empties
its water, the flushing action actually occurs halfway not at the end
which is the way I want it. No idea why.

If the bowl isn't emptying energetically, then there's a
partial blockage downstream.

geezer

On Mon, 26 Sep 2005 13:56:46 -0400, Goedjn wrote:

If the bowl isn't emptying energetically, then there's a
partial blockage downstream.

Oh boy! You had to tell me that! I'll try to check.

Thanks

American Standard Tub /Shower Faucet -- leaking Richard Home Repair 2 January 24th 05 03:22 PM
OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
How to add basement toilet? Borrall Wonnell Home Repair 3 November 4th 04 05:27 AM
Toilet outlet angle Arthur UK diy 2 October 29th 04 11:13 PM
Aaargh Killing black growth in toilet w/o killing 22 pound cat 1_Patriotic_Gal Home Repair 16 May 22nd 04 02:31 PM