Borrall Wonnell

Default How to add basement toilet?

Hi all,

First, please excuse my terminology in the following post...I am new
to the plumbing world.

Second, I want to add a bathroom to my unfinished (concrete floor)
basement. There are existing stubs for a toilet connection, and pipe
is already in place for a sink drain. My concern is for the toilet
connection.

1. If I simply attach a flange, wax seal, and toilet to the existing
stub (+ cold water supply line), will this be sufficient? I have
heard of 'venting', but have heard that each fixture requires a
separate vent to roof. It sounds expensive/unfeasable to run a
separate PVC vent to the roof for each fixture. Alternately, I have
heard that tying into the existing 4" stack maybe sufficient for
venting. I live in a 2-storey building. Is there any way to tell if
the roughed-in stub is vented correctly?

For what it's worth, there is a 4" stack in the corner of my basement.
The toilet stub is approximately 7.5' away from the stack. I also
see a cleanout and a drain.

2. For the layout I have in mind, ideal location for the toilet is in
the corner (right next to the 4" stack). This would mean *not* using
the existing toilet stub. Does anyone have any idea what would be
involved in this? Is it possible to dig up the concrete and connect
directly to the stack? Venting?

Wall-mount may be an alternative to breaking concrete, but I'm
interested in maximizing floor space (i.e. make the wall as thin as
possible).

I realize that any solution must comply with local plumbing codes
(fair enough...I am prepared to accept this). However, I am
interested in what options could potentially be explored before I
bring in a plumber for a 'free' estimate.

Best regards,
Dave
Speedy Jim

Borrall Wonnell wrote:
[...]

Yes, venting is a big issue. Connecting the new toilet directly
into the stack (without vent) will be a violation.

I could speculate all day about how you might do this job,
but the place to start is at the city bldg dep't.
Get the requirements direct from the horses mouth.
They may also be able to steer you to a list of contractors who
are approved to do work in your community.

Jim
Jeff Wisnia

Borrall Wonnell wrote:
[...]

Try posting your inquiry to this newsgroup:

pdaxs.services.plumbing

But be prepared for some salty responses too. That newsgroup is full of
guys who do know what they are talking about, but some of them seem to
enjoy ragging on DIY folks.

Jeff

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

schools"
Dave

I did this once, and the best resource was the local building plumbing
inspector. I showed him a schematic and some drawings, he made suggestions,
and then I jacked up the basement concrete and glued all the pipe together.
Then I called him in to look at the work before I laid the dirt and concrete
back into place. With a professional at my back I felt pretty confident that
I wasn't going to make a gross mistake. If you approach those guys with the
right attitude, they usually work hard to make sure that you do it right.

Dave

om...