Puddin' Man

Default Old Carrier central AC

Old Carrier central AC

Greetings,

I'll keep the sob story short/sweet. Outa work 5 years.
Life-Its-Ownself onna shoestring.

21 year-old 2-ton Carrier AC ("Round One") on a little
bungalow in the midwest. AC did OK for most of the summer.

I set the thermostat for air. The little lite comes on,
the blower blows. Nothing happens at the Condensing Unit.
This happened some years ago and I had to repair an elec.
connection, so I tested each connection (some corroded) on
the CU. Checked wire nuts on the 220 v. connections. No help.

Unit has 150 psi equalized pressure. I believe this is
sufficient to start the compressor. I have a little R-22.

Checked, tripped, reset the breaker. No help.

Can't really think of anyting else to focus on. Tstat
seems to call for compressor. Compressor no go. Near as
I can tell, it doesn't even click. Has to be an elec. failure
of some sort?

If a good AC trouble-shooter could suggest some additional
things to test or has some idea what the problem might be,
I'd be eternally grateful. Service call is out of the
question: gotta do my po' self.

Thanks,
Puddin'
*** Puddin' Man PuddingDotMan at GmailDotCom ***
************************************************** ****;
udarrell

Puddin' Man wrote:

[...]

No control contactor clicking, sounds like a low voltage control circuit
failure.
If nothing works at the outside condenser, then the problem is either in
the 24 volt control circuit or the 230 Volt power circuit.
You need a multitester to check voltages. Set it on 230 volts so you
don't damage it.

Most systems have the low voltage transformer in the furnace, however,
some carriers had two TRs with one in the condenser.
"If you don't know how to trouble-shoot those circuits in a totally safe
manner, --you better get someone that knows how to help you!"

I would not have any problem locating the problem, but if you don't know
how, well... .
I won't try to go into detail as typing is too difficult these days. -
udarrell

--
Crank Your Air-Conditioner Up To Specs
http://www.udarrell.com/air-conditio...city-seer.html
Puddin' Man

On Sun, 11 Sep 2005 05:54:07 -0500, udarrell
wrote:

No control contactor clicking, sounds like a low voltage control circuit
failure.
If nothing works at the outside condenser, then the problem is either in
the 24 volt control circuit or the 230 Volt power circuit.
You need a multitester to check voltages. Set it on 230 volts so you
don't damage it.

Most systems have the low voltage transformer in the furnace, however,
some carriers had two TRs with one in the condenser.
"If you don't know how to trouble-shoot those circuits in a totally safe
manner, --you better get someone that knows how to help you!"

There ain't nobody.

I would not have any problem locating the problem, but if you don't know
how, well... .
I won't try to go into detail as typing is too difficult these days. -

No problem. You've already helped a bit.

I traced lo-volt red and white wires from furnace control to
the CU. Wirenutted to brown and blue. Connection didn't look
so good so I re-stripped/wirenutted the white. Turned it on
and got a hum out of the CU. Shut it down, did purty much
the same (re-strip, etc) with the red, and it's dead again.

It's just me and the dawg here. Takes near 10 seconds to get
from the Tstat to the CU, so it mighta clicked (I dunno).

Didn't see any obvious problem at the connection panel
in the furnace.

Other ideas much welcome.

Thanks,
Puddin'

udarrell
Puddin' Man wrote:

[...]

lefty

On Sun, 11 Sep 2005 01:08:11 GMT, Puddin' Man
wrote:
Check the low voltage relay tp insure its pulling in and the contacts
are good. Then go to the capacitor... if it's dual pole (probably)
you can replace... a good indicator of the capacitor is that neither
the fan nor compressor pump come on.
[...]

Puddin' Man

wrote:
Check the low voltage relay tp insure its pulling in and the contacts
are good. Then go to the capacitor... if it's dual pole (probably)
you can replace... a good indicator of the capacitor is that neither
the fan nor compressor pump come on.

Thanks. I've been cleaning contacts, re-wirenutting, etc.

It's getting lo-voltage to the Condensing Unit.
Neither the fan nor compressor pump comes on.

What does the capacitor look like? Big cylindrical-
shaped thing?

In the middle of the CU elec. box is a spring-actuated
device (solenoid?). With no power on, it actuates easily
with finger pressure. When the Tstat calls for cool, it
freezes up. If I try to push it in, the device hums.

I've got simple and reliable notions about things like
open/closed circuits, voltage and amperage, but I admit
to a grand level of ignorance as regards the myriad
zillions of elec. devices (large and small) in the field. :-)

Thanks,
Puddin'

[...]

lefty

On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 15:24:33 GMT, Puddin' Man
wrote:
Ifthe capacitor (round silver cyliner w/three wires on it - probably)
is shot...you'll only get a hum at most. Means that you aren't
getting enuf power surge to kick either the fan or the compressor
over. There should be a label on the side of the capacitor -
Careful..they can hold a charge for a long time..

wrote:
[...]

Puddin' Man

Thanks. It is silver oval/cylinder GE Capacitor with 3
terminals ('FAN', 'C', 'HERM') and with 8 wires attached.
I drew a diagram of the contacts, cleaned the contacts
and re-tested: still nothing but the hum.

There's about 14 lines of printed info on the front of
the unit. I can't even tell which is the part #.

The first line is 84-09 273. The last line is 42-9611-42505.
Do either of these sound like the part #? Where can I get
a replacement part for reasonable $ ??

Copious Thanks,
Puddin'

wrote:
[...]

Puddin' Man

I think I found the part #. Appears to be GE 97F5360, but
I Google it and get nothing.

Any/all advice re replacement part much appreciated.

wrote:
[...]

lefty

On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 14:50:22 GMT, Puddin' Man
wrote:
You'll pay 4-5X buying off the internet.. go to your local electrical
supply dealer (plumbing & heating).

wrote:
[...]

Puddin' Man

wrote:
You'll pay 4-5X buying off the internet.. go to your local electrical
supply dealer (plumbing & heating).

I'm not a pro: last I looked, they wouldn't sell to me.
If I could explain gen'l specs for the unit, do you
think Grainger would have one? Reasonably priced?

Thx,
Puddin'

wrote:
[...]

TURTLE

"Puddin' Man" wrote in message
[...]

This is Turtle.

Here is the most likely causes.

Cut 24 volt wires by weed eater work.

Ants in or burnt contactors due to short cycling.

A Pressure Safety High or Low has tripped out in the condenser.

Bad 220 volt Breaker or fuse connection at disconnect out side before it enters
the condenser.

All in the condenser.

TURTLE

Puddin' Man

On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 08:56:48 -0500, "TURTLE"
wrote:

--- snip ---

This is Turtle.

Hallo Turtle!

Here is the most likely causes.

Cut 24 volt wires by weed eater work.

Nope.

Ants in or burnt contactors due to short cycling.

No ants. Maybe a spider or 2. I cleaned/filed contacts.

A Pressure Safety High or Low has tripped out in the condenser.

Its got 150 psi equalized. Should be plenty enought to get it to kick.

Bad 220 volt Breaker or fuse connection at disconnect out side before it enters
the condenser.

Breaker in elec. panel never tripped. I flipped it off/on as
part of tests. The outside disconn. looks OK. Made good use of
it after I drew a few amperes. g

All in the condenser.

Condenser or capacitor?

Puddin'

TURTLE

*** Puddin' Man PuddingDotMan at GmailDotCom ***
************************************************** ****;
TURTLE

"Puddin' Man" wrote in message
On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 08:56:48 -0500, "TURTLE"
wrote:

--- snip ---

This is Turtle.

Hallo Turtle!

Here is the most likely causes.

Cut 24 volt wires by weed eater work.

Nope.

Ants in or burnt contactors due to short cycling.

No ants. Maybe a spider or 2. I cleaned/filed contacts.

A Pressure Safety High or Low has tripped out in the condenser.

Its got 150 psi equalized. Should be plenty enought to get it to kick.

Bad 220 volt Breaker or fuse connection at disconnect out side before it
enters
the condenser.

Breaker in elec. panel never tripped. I flipped it off/on as
part of tests. The outside disconn. looks OK. Made good use of
it after I drew a few amperes. g

All in the condenser.

Condenser or capacitor?

Puddin'

This is Turtle.

In the Condenser unit out side and not the capasitor. It either not getting
proper 24 control volt to it , not getting proper 220 volt service to it or
something in the condenser unit causing it. It is hard to trouble shoot over the
internet.

TURTLE