lefty

On Sun, 11 Sep 2005 14:47:57 GMT, Puddin' Man
wrote:
Cap' sounds shot..
On Sun, 11 Sep 2005 05:54:07 -0500, udarrell
wrote:

No control contactor clicking, sounds like a low voltage control circuit
failure.
If nothing works at the outside condenser, then the problem is either in
the 24 volt control circuit or the 230 Volt power circuit.
You need a multitester to check voltages. Set it on 230 volts so you
don't damage it.

Most systems have the low voltage transformer in the furnace, however,
some carriers had two TRs with one in the condenser.
"If you don't know how to trouble-shoot those circuits in a totally safe
manner, --you better get someone that knows how to help you!"

There ain't nobody.

I would not have any problem locating the problem, but if you don't know
how, well... .
I won't try to go into detail as typing is too difficult these days. -

No problem. You've already helped a bit.

I traced lo-volt red and white wires from furnace control to
the CU. Wirenutted to brown and blue. Connection didn't look
so good so I re-stripped/wirenutted the white. Turned it on
and got a hum out of the CU. Shut it down, did purty much
the same (re-strip, etc) with the red, and it's dead again.

It's just me and the dawg here. Takes near 10 seconds to get
from the Tstat to the CU, so it mighta clicked (I dunno).

Didn't see any obvious problem at the connection panel
in the furnace.

Other ideas much welcome.

Thanks,
Puddin'

udarrell
Puddin' Man wrote:

Old Carrier central AC

Greetings,

I'll keep the sob story short/sweet. Outa work 5 years.
Life-Its-Ownself onna shoestring.

21 year-old 2-ton Carrier AC ("Round One") on a little
bungalow in the midwest. AC did OK for most of the summer.

I set the thermostat for air. The little lite comes on,
the blower blows. Nothing happens at the Condensing Unit.
This happened some years ago and I had to repair an elec.
connection, so I tested each connection (some corroded) on
the CU. Checked wire nuts on the 220 v. connections. No help.

Unit has 150 psi equalized pressure. I believe this is
sufficient to start the compressor. I have a little R-22.

Checked, tripped, reset the breaker. No help.

Can't really think of anyting else to focus on. Tstat
seems to call for compressor. Compressor no go. "Near as
I can tell, it doesn't even click." Has to be an elec. failure
of some sort?

If a good AC trouble-shooter could suggest some additional
things to test or has some idea what the problem might be,
I'd be eternally grateful. Service call is out of the
question: gotta do my po' self.

Thanks,
Puddin'