Fix_House_Boy

Default Carrier 38BR-030-3 Central AC

Unit wasn't working. Contractor came over and replaced 30 AMP fuse and
charged me $125, $42 for the fuse alone. What a joke. I paid because
of bitch reasoning, in other words I have something to complain about
to the contractor when I go to kill him tomorrow.

So now to the real question. Pressure and temperature are good.
Compressor is fine. When the unit "spins" everything gets cool. But
the unit after working for a couple hours, turns off. Now once I
turned the breakers off and restarted and all was OK for about 4
hours. Then unit shut off again. I can't keep on playing with the
breakers, and don't want to for the unit's sake.

Had contractor tell me compressor is fine and freon level is good.
What could be wrong with the thing? - Thanks!

P.S. It is not something simple and I deem it to be something
electrical. And yes, I can use a thermostat, even if it is
programmable. I did graduate in Engineering, but that only qualifies
me to be an idiot when it comes to servicing HVAC equipment. Thank god
I sell mortgages now...

Carrier's Web Site sux, and I can't find needed troubleshooting
manuals. Be that as it may, I don't want to take on the project
anyway, because supposedly I have a 10 year parts and labor warranty
on all my Carrier equipment; another thing I will bitch about
tomorrow.
Fix_House_Boy

On Mon, 30 Jun 2003 01:08:51 -0700, "CBHvac"
wrote:

"Fix_House_Boy" wrote in message
.. .
Unit wasn't working. Contractor came over and replaced 30 AMP fuse and
charged me $125, $42 for the fuse alone. What a joke. I paid because
of bitch reasoning, in other words I have something to complain about
to the contractor when I go to kill him tomorrow.

Lets hope no one takes you serious...like another contractor. Comcast might
not like my letter...and I know you are joking....but some wont take it that
way..

----------- You know what they say; _ _ _ _ 'em if they can't take
a joke...

And no...it wasnt a joke...I have Bullet brand fuses you cant just go buy,
and they range in price from $8 to $120 for ONE fuse..
We dont work for free..that van didnt come out for free...just keep that in
mind..

----------- Don't care if the fuse costs $500 to be quite honest.
When I state how the unit is reacting and some idiot installs a fuse
and walks away, it's stupidity - not "ignorance is bliss"... and you
would be correct... labor is not free when things are done correctly.
Hey, poet in the making with no meter.

So now to the real question. Pressure and temperature are good.

Are they?
Pressure and temp mean nothing.
Superheat, or subcool matter...pressures dont mean jack, until they get too
high, but, what is high? Many variables, and then of course, you fall back
to subcool, or superheat...

---------- now we are getting to the answers; about time. Don't know
what you are talking about here, but I'll take your word for it.

Compressor is fine. When the unit "spins" everything gets cool. But
the unit after working for a couple hours, turns off. Now once I
turned the breakers off and restarted and all was OK for about 4
hours. Then unit shut off again. I can't keep on playing with the
breakers, and don't want to for the unit's sake.

Funny...sounds like a dead compressor...one thats on its last legs...or one
thats overloaded...of course, it could also be a bad ICB, or pressure switch
thats bad...anyone of a number of things....have you called the contractor
back that serviced it last?

------------ Yes, just did. Stated the compressor was burnt out and
ordered new parts. Another guy came that knew what he was doing

Had contractor tell me compressor is fine and freon level is good.
What could be wrong with the thing? - Thanks!

Umm...if all he did was slap a set of guages on it, and tell you the
pressure was good, dont have him back...period.

----------- That's exactly what the person did... have a 10 year
warranty on Carrier equipment I had installed 8 years ago, so I am
FORCED to have them back

P.S. It is not something simple and I deem it to be something
electrical. And yes, I can use a thermostat, even if it is
programmable. I did graduate in Engineering, but that only qualifies
me to be an idiot when it comes to servicing HVAC equipment. Thank god
I sell mortgages now...

So is the contractor you had out...find one that knows what in hell he is
doing.

Agreed; just did that - but had to be from same company due to
warranty

And it might be mechanical...that is creating an overload..
Some of us, just so you know, think of lawyers a step above a mortgage
lending agent...LOL...so its immaterial what you do for a living in this
thread..

------------- And some of us deem that a stable central air
conditioner is more personable and knowledgeable than a bad HVAC
mechanic, so we'll leave it at that.

Carrier's Web Site sux, and I can't find needed troubleshooting
manuals. Be that as it may, I don't want to take on the project
anyway, because supposedly I have a 10 year parts and labor warranty
on all my Carrier equipment; another thing I will bitch about
tomorrow.

Guess what? One, Carrier does not have to give anything away to a non
licenced person...
two, unless you can understand about 8 charts, with no instructions, thats
all you are gonna really get.

------------- Funny; you can get schematics from major TV
manufacturers online, and you sure don't have to be certifed to get
them. So I don't have to guess. The site sucks.

Bitch all you want, but only if you bought the equipment new. And recently.
Carrier hasnt had the labor warranty for long, and you had to pay extra for
it, and IIRC,you got a letter back from them later stating such.

------------ Bought it new, it's 8 years old, and receipt says 10 year
parts and labor warranty on ALL Carrier Equipment installed with the
exception of the humidifier, which has 2 year parts and labor - so
what's good is I figured out how to read. And if a lawyer is a step
above a "mortgage lending agent", then maybe I'll just use one if the
warranty isn't followed.

Labor isnt free in most cases, and if you have bought the unit second hand,
say...it was on the home when you bought it, and it was installed previous
to you moving in by the previous owner, you aint got a warranty...AC and
furnace warranty is non tranferable in most cases, unless it was an extended
warranty, and the original buyer writes and asks for it to be
transferred....as information.

------------ Agreed, it was bought by me, new 8 years ago

Thanks for the help and info!!
Fix_House_Boy

Perhaps not stupidity...lack of training....when you get a guy like that,
chances are, his "stupidity" isnt due to himself..but his higher ups...

Got ya, makes sense

LOL..not a prob..most dont, and they assume that when the gauges are on, its
telling the tech wonderful things...they are not.
Not always..

Yep, all the gauges did was check for pressure and temperature, which
according to you, doesn't mean much, so you were correct - I kind of
guessed it; didn't really look close enough

------------ Yes, just did. Stated the compressor was burnt out and
ordered new parts. Another guy came that knew what he was doing

Bingo.

Good.

Yep, compressor was it. Looks like all there really is, is compressor,
blower motor, and control board. I may be very wrong about that

NO...No..no..no..no you dont.
COMMOM mistake....hell, I can do Carrier warranty...I can do Trane
warranty....I am not an ICP, or American Standard dealer..

I went to Carrier's site, and it looked like they give a 5 year
warranty. I was assuming the contractor added another 5 years because
it is a decent size company. I thought I had to go back to them,
wasn't sure. Still don't know, but they already have it figured out
and are ordering the parts

------------- Funny; you can get schematics from major TV
manufacturers online, and you sure don't have to be certifed to get
them. So I don't have to guess. The site sucks.

Major TV repair techs are not governed by the local, state, and federal
levels...ahh...people forget that this trade is the most licenced there is,
and why its so.

Good to know; I did not know that tidbit above

---- Again, thanks much for the help!!!!!!!!

CBHvac

wrote:

"Fix_House_Boy" wrote in message
.. .
Unit wasn't working. Contractor came over and replaced 30 AMP fuse and
charged me $125, $42 for the fuse alone. What a joke. I paid because
of bitch reasoning, in other words I have something to complain about
to the contractor when I go to kill him tomorrow.

Lets hope no one takes you serious...like another contractor. Comcast

might
not like my letter...and I know you are joking....but some wont take it

that
way..

----------- You know what they say; _ _ _ _ 'em if they can't take
a joke...

Yup...but these days, got to be careful..lol

[...]

See above.

And it might be mechanical...that is creating an overload..
Some of us, just so you know, think of lawyers a step above a mortgage
lending agent...LOL...so its immaterial what you do for a living in this
thread..

------------- And some of us deem that a stable central air
conditioner is more personable and knowledgeable than a bad HVAC
mechanic, so we'll leave it at that.

You got that right...lol

[...]

LOL...ok..but if you are LOCKED in to the installing company that installed
it originally...see a lawyer for sure..

Labor isnt free in most cases, and if you have bought the unit second

hand,
say...it was on the home when you bought it, and it was installed

previous
to you moving in by the previous owner, you aint got a warranty...AC and
furnace warranty is non tranferable in most cases, unless it was an

extended
warranty, and the original buyer writes and asks for it to be
transferred....as information.

------------ Agreed, it was bought by me, new 8 years ago

Thanks for the help and info!!

NP...and good luck..hope all works out.