Sam the Cat

Default concrete volumn

Folks,
I am looking for the volume of concrete in a 60 and 80 lb bag. It seems
its only sold by weight and the quantity calculators online at either
sakrete or quikrete are PIA since you have to convert to "equivalent slab"
size. Someone has got to know the numbers -- looking for something like x
cuft / 60 lb bag etc

TIA

Ranieri

"Sam the Cat" wrote in message
Folks,
I am looking for the volume of concrete in a 60 and 80 lb bag. It

seems
its only sold by weight and the quantity calculators online at either
sakrete or quikrete are PIA since you have to convert to "equivalent

slab"
size. Someone has got to know the numbers -- looking for something like x
cuft / 60 lb bag etc

If memory serves, a 60 lb sack of Quikrete yields about 1/3 cu.ft.

Doug Miller

In article , "Sam the Cat" wrote:
Folks,
I am looking for the volume of concrete in a 60 and 80 lb bag. It seems
its only sold by weight and the quantity calculators online at either
sakrete or quikrete are PIA since you have to convert to "equivalent slab"
size. Someone has got to know the numbers -- looking for something like x
cuft / 60 lb bag etc

Look at the spec data sheet
http://www.quikrete.com/Spec_Data/concrete_mix.pdf

YIELD
• An 80 lb (36.3 kg) bag yields approximately 0.60 cu ft (17 L)
• A 60 lb (27.2 kg) bag yields approximately 0.45 cu ft (12.7 L)
• A 40 lb (18.1 kg) bag yields approximately 0.30 cu ft (8.5 L)

--
Regards,

Sam the Cat

Doug

Thanks !

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
. ..
In article , "Sam the Cat"

wrote:
Folks,
I am looking for the volume of concrete in a 60 and 80 lb bag. It

seems
its only sold by weight and the quantity calculators online at either
sakrete or quikrete are PIA since you have to convert to "equivalent

slab"
size. Someone has got to know the numbers -- looking for something like

cuft / 60 lb bag etc

Look at the spec data sheet
http://www.quikrete.com/Spec_Data/concrete_mix.pdf

YIELD
• An 80 lb (36.3 kg) bag yields approximately 0.60 cu ft (17 L)
• A 60 lb (27.2 kg) bag yields approximately 0.45 cu ft (12.7 L)
• A 40 lb (18.1 kg) bag yields approximately 0.30 cu ft (8.5 L)

--
Regards,

User Example

Sam the Cat wrote:
Folks,
I am looking for the volume of concrete in a 60 and 80 lb bag. It seems
its only sold by weight and the quantity calculators online at either
sakrete or quikrete are PIA since you have to convert to "equivalent slab"
size. Someone has got to know the numbers -- looking for something like x
cuft / 60 lb bag etc

TIA

I have an 80lb bag of premix concrete in my garage that says 1 cu. ft.
on it. And based on use, I'd say it is right.
Robert Allison

User Example wrote:
Sam the Cat wrote:

Folks,
I am looking for the volume of concrete in a 60 and 80 lb bag. It
seems
its only sold by weight and the quantity calculators online at either
sakrete or quikrete are PIA since you have to convert to "equivalent
slab"
size. Someone has got to know the numbers -- looking for something
like x
cuft / 60 lb bag etc

TIA

I have an 80lb bag of premix concrete in my garage that says 1 cu. ft.
on it. And based on use, I'd say it is right.

And you would be wrong. I have done about 600 replacements of
balcony decks on apartment complexes (2" of concrete on a
wooden substrate, each about 6'x8'). The first ones that we
did, I measured the cubic feet needed for the deck and bought
the appropriate amount of bags (marked 1 cubic foot). On the
first one we were 12 bags short. I recalculated and it came
out the same.

I returned to my concrete supplier (instead of home depot) and
bought identical weight bags of concrete (80 pound bags).
These, however, were marked .60 cubic feet. I did the
calculations again. The next deck had 1/2 bag leftover.

Now I use the .60 measurement and it comes out pretty close
every time, even when I buy the stuff at home depot that is
marked 1 cubic foot.

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.
User Example

Robert Allison wrote:
User Example wrote:

Sam the Cat wrote:

[...]

No. I would be right. I made a 35" x 16" x 6" form and it took less
than two bags. Do the math. Not sure what you are using but you don't
get as much per bag.

Gary
Rudy

No. I would be right. I made a 35" x 16" x 6" form and it took less
than two bags. Do the math. Not sure what you are using but you don't
get as much per bag.

Those 'cheapie' (60lb ?) $ 1.39bags at HD say 1/2 cu ft on them.

RicodJour

User Example wrote:
Robert Allison wrote:
User Example wrote:

[...]

Let's see, you did one little form, and Bob did 600 much larger
placements. So your one test outweighs his 600? Yeah, right.

The manufacturers' literature (all of them) indicate .6 CF.

They also state to add 6-9 pints (2.8-4.3 liters) of water. 1 liter =
2.2 pounds, use the high number weight of water = 4.3 x 2.2 = ~9.5
pounds

Your version has concrete weighing 90 pounds (80 pound bag, plus ten
pounds of water - and some of that water evaporates). That's some damn
light concrete! Real world concrete, as opposed to imaginary, weighs
in at ~150 PCF. Even lightweight concrete using flyash and other
much-lighter-than-usual aggregate weighs in over 100 PCF.

Let's check Bob's version:
2 bags @ 80# = 160#
2 x 4.3L water = 19#
totals to 180#
manufacturer's lit, .6 CF/bag x 2 = 1.2 CF
180#/1.2 CF = 150#/CF

His numbers check, yours don't.
Do the math.

Robert Allison

RicodJour wrote:

User Example wrote:

Robert Allison wrote:

User Example wrote:

[...]

Exactly.

I hate bags of concrete. I love trucks full of concrete with
a pump truck.

We just poured a new slab today with a 36 meter pump truck and
16 trucks of concrete. Easier than one of those damn 6 x 8
decks. At one point we were doing 12 of those decks per day.
That took pallets and pallets of concrete mix, 4 halfyard
mixers, and a crew of 24. We placed that 128 yards of
concrete with 8 guys (not counting the truck drivers or pump
operators).

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.
User Example

RicodJour wrote:
User Example wrote:

Robert Allison wrote:

User Example wrote:

[...]

Hey smart math boy. Why don't you take yourself down to the local Home
Depot and look on the blue 80lb bags of concrete and then tell me what
it says. If it doesn't say 1 cu. ft. then come on back here and tell me
about it. Otherwise, why don't you shut up? I've got the bag right out
in the garage and I can read what it says. And I poured it and I know
how much space it filled. I don't care who Bob is or what he is pouring
but unless he is using the same bags I did then you can't say he is
right and I am wrong. Maybe we are both right. Either way, you are a
fool for thinking you know it all.
User Example

Rudy wrote:
No. I would be right. I made a 35" x 16" x 6" form and it took less
than two bags. Do the math. Not sure what you are using but you don't
get as much per bag.

Those 'cheapie' (60lb ?) $ 1.39bags at HD say 1/2 cu ft on them.

Go to HD and look at the blue 80 lbs bags then report back to me.
RicodJour

User Example wrote:
RicodJour wrote:

[...]

Interesting, that. Being called a fool by a fool.

You have a very strange position on this. How can both be right? 0.6
CF = 1.0 CF. Does that look right to you? If it does, you shouldn't
be telling people to do the math as you're more than a little shaky on
it yourself. If the bag is marked incorrectly, that's not your fault.
If you miraculously got that 80 pound bag to expand by 40% in volume,
you should start a church.

I have no idea why they would print such a large volume number on the
bag. It's not like the manufacturer would make more money/sales by
doing that. The volume is what it is - you need the correct number of
bags regardless of how the package is marked.

Either the weight as marked is wrong, or the volume is wrong. Since
you'd probably have noticed if the bag weighed around 130 pounds, it's
probably the marked volume that is wrong. Either way, it's wrong and
that's all that matters. Someone should contact a lawyer and start a
class action lawsuit.

Robert Allison

User Example wrote:
RicodJour wrote:

User Example wrote:

Robert Allison wrote:

User Example wrote:

[...]

I am not the smart math boy, but I will respond. The bags
down there at HD DO say 1 cubic foot. They are just wrong.
They don't have a cubic foot. They only have .6 cubic feet.
I have about 40 of them out in the shop. That will do a bit
less than a cubic yard of concrete. If I went by the volume
marked on the label, it would seem that I would have a yard
and a third (about). Being as I make my living doing stuff
like this, I have learned not to believe that bag. Saves a
lot of heartache.

Feel free to continue believing the bag. Lots of people do.
I think Home Depot gets a lot of frenzied second trips to the
store that way.

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.
RicodJour

Robert Allison wrote:

I am not the smart math boy, but I will respond. The bags
down there at HD DO say 1 cubic foot. They are just wrong.
They don't have a cubic foot. They only have .6 cubic feet.
I have about 40 of them out in the shop. That will do a bit
less than a cubic yard of concrete. If I went by the volume
marked on the label, it would seem that I would have a yard
and a third (about). Being as I make my living doing stuff
like this, I have learned not to believe that bag. Saves a
lot of heartache.

Feel free to continue believing the bag. Lots of people do.
I think Home Depot gets a lot of frenzied second trips to the
store that way.

Bob, who's the manufacturer? I want to call them up and give them
hell. Kind of a hobby.

Doug Miller

In article .com, "RicodJour" wrote:

Bob, who's the manufacturer? I want to call them up and give them
hell. Kind of a hobby.

If that's a hobby for you... get your hands on a copy of a book called "Idiot
Letters". It's pretty funny. Amazon sells it, and has excerpts available
on-line.

--
Regards,

User Example

Robert Allison wrote:
User Example wrote:

RicodJour wrote:

User Example wrote:

Robert Allison wrote:

User Example wrote:

[...]

Whatever. Your tag says you are in Georgetown. I am in Pflugerville.
I have a extra bag in my Jeep. So, let's get together and I'll prove to
you. And if it doesn't come to 1 cu ft we can sue Home Depot for false
advertising.

RicodJour

User Example wrote:

Whatever. Your tag says you are in Georgetown. I am in Pflugerville.
I have a extra bag in my Jeep. So, let's get together and I'll prove to
you. And if it doesn't come to 1 cu ft we can sue Home Depot for false
advertising.

Contact your state's attorney general. They love going after the big
guys - they have deep pockets and it grabs a lot of attention.

Goedjn

You must have bought the magic concrete. Bonsal says 80lb is .6cu/ft
but what the **** do they know they just made it.

If you BUY cement, and PLACE concrete, that may well explain where
the extra volume came from....
Goedjn

I am not the smart math boy, but I will respond. The bags
down there at HD DO say 1 cubic foot. They are just wrong.
They don't have a cubic foot.

You're sure that they don't say 1 SQUARE foot? with a little
notation somewhere telling you how deep a slab they mean?

User Example

Goedjn wrote:
You must have bought the magic concrete. Bonsal says 80lb is .6cu/ft
but what the **** do they know they just made it.

If you BUY cement, and PLACE concrete, that may well explain where
the extra volume came from....

Here is the website with the tech sheets. Look for yourself. Don't
argue with me anymore... go argue with the manufacturer.

http://www.usmix.com/dp_maximizer_concrete_mix.phtml
RicodJour

User Example wrote:

Here is the website with the tech sheets. Look for yourself. Don't
argue with me anymore... go argue with the manufacturer.

http://www.usmix.com/dp_maximizer_concrete_mix.phtml

You're a piece of work. READ what someone posts before you start
firing off mis-information, numbnutz.

Here is the original post, with a thoughtful and ON TOPIC reply. Pay
attention to which brand names are mentioned in both the question and
the reply:

In article , "Sam the Cat"

wrote:
Folks,
I am looking for the volume of concrete in a 60 and 80 lb bag. It

seems
its only sold by weight and the quantity calculators online at either
sakrete or quikrete are PIA since you have to convert to "equivalent

slab"
size. Someone has got to know the numbers -- looking for something like

cuft / 60 lb bag etc

Look at the spec data sheet
http://www.quikrete.com/Spec_D ata/concrete_mix.pdf

YIELD
=B7 An 80 lb (36.3 kg) bag yields approximately 0.60 cu ft (17 L)
=B7 A 60 lb (27.2 kg) bag yields approximately 0.45 cu ft (12.7 L)
=B7 A 40 lb (18.1 kg) bag yields approximately 0.30 cu ft (8.5 L)

--
Regards,

You, on the other hand, post about an ENTIRELY different product,
without mentioning the product by name. This is what you used:

MAXIMIZER=99 is a proprietary formula that provides more coverage per
bag than standard mixes using specially manufactured aggregate formula
producing a high-yield (1 cubic foot per bag) concrete mix stronger
(5500 psi) than regular concrete. The MAXIMIZER=99 secret is the use of
the special aggregate formula instead of pea gravel and sand.
MAXIMIZER=99 also employs a higher proportion of cement-to aggregate,
ensuring its strength and long-term durability.

You have been getting **** for something there would have been no
argument about if you had simply posted information about YOUR product,
instead of saying, "that's what it says on the bag."

What you did is no different than if someone asked about the R-value of
fiberglass batt insulation, and you gave them the R-value for
polyisocyanurate foam without telling them you were talking about an
entirely different material. You know, lying.

Thanks for wasting everyone's time.

User Example

The guy asked for volume per 60 or 80lb bag. He never specified which
brand he was asking about. I told him the 80lb bags I had were 1 cu ft.
Some other poster besides the original mentioned a specific brand. I
never did. Again, I am dealing with morons.

wrote:

[...]

MAXIMIZER™ is a proprietary formula that provides more coverage per
bag than standard mixes using specially manufactured aggregate formula
producing a high-yield (1 cubic foot per bag) concrete mix stronger
(5500 psi) than regular concrete. The MAXIMIZER™ secret is the use of
the special aggregate formula instead of pea gravel and sand.
MAXIMIZER™ also employs a higher proportion of cement-to aggregate,
ensuring its strength and long-term durability.

You have been getting **** for something there would have been no
argument about if you had simply posted information about YOUR product,
instead of saying, "that's what it says on the bag."

What you did is no different than if someone asked about the R-value of
fiberglass batt insulation, and you gave them the R-value for
polyisocyanurate foam without telling them you were talking about an
entirely different material. You know, lying.

Thanks for wasting everyone's time.

Goedjn

The guy asked for volume per 60 or 80lb bag. He never specified which
brand he was asking about. I told him the 80lb bags I had were 1 cu ft.
Some other poster besides the original mentioned a specific brand. I
never did. Again, I am dealing with morons.

I wonder how they reconcile the listed 80# bag=1cuft with the
listed specific gravity of between 1.95 and 2.15? Shouldn't
that work out to in excess of 120#/cuft?

Doug Miller

In article , User Example wrote:
Goedjn wrote:
You must have bought the magic concrete. Bonsal says 80lb is .6cu/ft
but what the **** do they know they just made it.

If you BUY cement, and PLACE concrete, that may well explain where
the extra volume came from....

Here is the website with the tech sheets. Look for yourself. Don't
argue with me anymore... go argue with the manufacturer.

http://www.usmix.com/dp_maximizer_concrete_mix.phtml

"Maximizer Concrete Mix is a pre-blended, ready to use mixture of concrete
sand, expanded shale and clay aggregates and portland cement..."

Now the reason for the discrepancy becomes clear: this stuff isn't real
concrete.

--
Regards,

Doug Miller

In article , Goedjn wrote:

The guy asked for volume per 60 or 80lb bag. He never specified which
brand he was asking about. I told him the 80lb bags I had were 1 cu ft.
Some other poster besides the original mentioned a specific brand. I
never did. Again, I am dealing with morons.

I wonder how they reconcile the listed 80# bag=1cuft with the
listed specific gravity of between 1.95 and 2.15? Shouldn't
that work out to in excess of 120#/cuft?

Less volume after mixing with water, perhaps?

--
Regards,

How to make new concrete attach to old concrete JW Home Repair 8 June 27th 04 08:44 AM
How to make new concrete attach to old concrete JW Home Ownership 8 June 27th 04 08:44 AM
Repairing concrete floor in shop Todd Fatheree Woodworking 10 June 3rd 04 08:18 AM
Laying Concrete Flooring John UK diy 5 September 24th 03 07:15 AM
Help with concrete! Alexander Galkin Home Repair 4 August 16th 03 04:40 AM