Todd Fatheree

Default Repairing concrete floor in shop

One more time. (accidentally posted this in a.b.p.w)

My gar^H^H^Hshop has several areas where the surface of the concrete is
failing. I'd like to repair it, if for no other reason than it makes
rolling tools around a pain. After Googling around, there appear to be
dozens of products that claim to repair a concrete surface. What I'd like
to know is if anyone has actually used a product for this purpose that they
were either happy or unhappy with?

todd

Larry C in Auburn, WA

I haven't Todd, but you might also try the alt.home.repair newsgroup.

--
Larry C in Auburn, WA

"Todd Fatheree" wrote in message
One more time. (accidentally posted this in a.b.p.w)

My gar^H^H^Hshop has several areas where the surface of the concrete is
failing. I'd like to repair it, if for no other reason than it makes
rolling tools around a pain. After Googling around, there appear to be
dozens of products that claim to repair a concrete surface. What I'd like
to know is if anyone has actually used a product for this purpose that

they
were either happy or unhappy with?

todd

jo4hn

Todd Fatheree wrote:
One more time. (accidentally posted this in a.b.p.w)

My gar^H^H^Hshop has several areas where the surface of the concrete is
failing. I'd like to repair it, if for no other reason than it makes
rolling tools around a pain. After Googling around, there appear to be
dozens of products that claim to repair a concrete surface. What I'd like
to know is if anyone has actually used a product for this purpose that they
were either happy or unhappy with?

todd

I have used some stuff in the distant past called "Concrete Patch" IIRC.
That seemed to work pretty well. I think it's some mix of sand,
cement, and concrete glue. Be sure to deepen the hole to at least an
inch throughout, and brush/blow/vacuum all the crud out. Have fun.
mahalo,
jo4hn

Richard Cline

In article , "Todd Fatheree"
wrote:

I helped my son-in-law put a self-leveling concrete floor on his
basement. The old concrete had many holes but it did not have major
fractures. The self-leveling concrete made a layer about 1/2 inch thick
over the old floor. It was a bear to install as one had to work really
fast in mixing, applying, and distributing the mixture.

He subsequently put down vinyl flooring and it all looks great. This
was about six years ago. It seems to stand the test of time.

Dick

One more time. (accidentally posted this in a.b.p.w)

My gar^H^H^Hshop has several areas where the surface of the concrete is
failing. I'd like to repair it, if for no other reason than it makes
rolling tools around a pain. After Googling around, there appear to be
dozens of products that claim to repair a concrete surface. What I'd
like
to know is if anyone has actually used a product for this purpose that
they
were either happy or unhappy with?

todd

Lone Wolf

Hi Todd,

I'm a Highway Construction Inspector with the Ontario Ministry of
Transportation. Often in bridge construction and rehab, after removing all
scale and loose material, contractors use a product called "M Bed". It's a
quick set grout for exterior application (i.e. weathered areas). Do all the
prep work (chipping, sweeping, etc.) before you mix the grout. Dampen the
surface you are applying the grout to. It will start to set within 5 to 10
minutes.
Dump it out of the mixing pan or bucket and spread with a trowel until
smooth. The last step if you want a rough surface is to lightly sweep with a
corn/shop broom or a damp sponge. Let cure for 24 to 48 hours.

Regards,

Christopher Lang
Technical Support Technician
Ministry of Transportation of Ontario

"Todd Fatheree" wrote in message
One more time. (accidentally posted this in a.b.p.w)

My gar^H^H^Hshop has several areas where the surface of the concrete is
failing. I'd like to repair it, if for no other reason than it makes
rolling tools around a pain. After Googling around, there appear to be
dozens of products that claim to repair a concrete surface. What I'd like
to know is if anyone has actually used a product for this purpose that

they
were either happy or unhappy with?

todd

Wally

You can also use a self leveling concrete from Mapei. The product I
use is called UltraPlan1. It will fill up any space, cracks, holes,
slopes, etc and will self level. It worked great for me. My concrete
slab wasn't broken but had a bad slope that made moving the tools
around a pain.

Just make sure you work fast and you don't let it set too long... Each
bag cost 40$ CAN so if you have a lot to do, it may add up fast.

Link: http://www.mapei.com/MapeiAmericas/e...ucts_line3.htm
http://www.mapei.it/referenze/Multim...lan1_TD_EA.pdf

Good luck.

Wally

On Tue, 1 Jun 2004 14:11:13 -0500, "Todd Fatheree"
wrote:

One more time. (accidentally posted this in a.b.p.w)

My gar^H^H^Hshop has several areas where the surface of the concrete is
failing. I'd like to repair it, if for no other reason than it makes
rolling tools around a pain. After Googling around, there appear to be
dozens of products that claim to repair a concrete surface. What I'd like
to know is if anyone has actually used a product for this purpose that they
were either happy or unhappy with?

todd

Chipper Wood

First enlarge the hole so that all parts of it are at least 1 inch deep.
Vacuum out the hole if possible etch the old concrete with diluted muriatic
acid. Rinse thoroughly and apply a liquid silicon bonding agent before
filling the hole with new cement.
--
Chipper Wood

useours, yours won't work

"Todd Fatheree" wrote in message
One more time. (accidentally posted this in a.b.p.w)

My gar^H^H^Hshop has several areas where the surface of the concrete is
failing. I'd like to repair it, if for no other reason than it makes
rolling tools around a pain. After Googling around, there appear to be
dozens of products that claim to repair a concrete surface. What I'd like
to know is if anyone has actually used a product for this purpose that

they
were either happy or unhappy with?

todd

Richard Cline

In article , RB wrote:

If this means silicone, it certainly is not a material that I would
reccommend. There is almost nothing that will stick to silicone. The
self leveling concrete will make strong bonds to old concrete.

Dick

Chipper Wood wrote:
First enlarge the hole so that all parts of it are at least 1 inch
deep.
Vacuum out the hole if possible etch the old concrete with diluted
muriatic
acid. Rinse thoroughly and apply a liquid silicon bonding agent before
filling the hole with new cement.

Chipper Wood

Ask at your local concrete supply outlet.

Bonding Agent
A substance applied to an existing surface to create a bond between it and
a succeeding layer, as between a bonded overlay and existing concrete
pavement.

Concrete has a high silicon content.

POLYMERIC BONDING (AGENTS FOR NEW TO OLD CONCRETE)

* POLYDEE BOND-RES---- BONDING CEMENTICIOUS BONDING AGENT.

* POLYCRYL-PS- CEMENTICIOUS BONDING AGENT

DRIPSEAL-BA-34
(Bonding Agent)
It is an Epoxy based formulation specially designed for bonding old concrete
and new concrete/ plaster providing monolithic surface. Normally cement
slurry is used in such conditions, which does not perform to the
satisfaction and shrinkage crack is developed at the junction of old
concrete and new concrete. This crack becomes the source of leakage.
DRIPSEAL-BA-34 has excellent bonding with almost all types of construction
material, so hacking or chipping of old surface is not desired.
DRIPSEAL-BA-34 is available in liquid form and two pack system. Both parts
are to be mixed and applied on old concrete. Fresh concrete/plaster is laid
when the coating is little touch dry.

DRIPSEAL-BA-34 provides excellent bond when used for :-
Bonding old concrete and new concrete of slab, and column etc.
Bonding old concrete and new concrete in case of repair of pot holes.
It can also be used as adhesive for bonding metals, glass, wood, similar and
dissimilar materials.

Thorobond
Liquid Bonding Agent for Plaster and Portland Cement
--
Chipper Wood

useours, yours won't work