RicodJour

User Example wrote:
RicodJour wrote:

Let's see, you did one little form, and Bob did 600 much larger
placements. So your one test outweighs his 600? Yeah, right.

The manufacturers' literature (all of them) indicate .6 CF.

They also state to add 6-9 pints (2.8-4.3 liters) of water. 1 liter =
2.2 pounds, use the high number weight of water = 4.3 x 2.2 = ~9.5
pounds

Your version has concrete weighing 90 pounds (80 pound bag, plus ten
pounds of water - and some of that water evaporates). That's some damn
light concrete! Real world concrete, as opposed to imaginary, weighs
in at ~150 PCF. Even lightweight concrete using flyash and other
much-lighter-than-usual aggregate weighs in over 100 PCF.

Let's check Bob's version:
2 bags @ 80# = 160#
2 x 4.3L water = 19#
totals to 180#
manufacturer's lit, .6 CF/bag x 2 = 1.2 CF
180#/1.2 CF = 150#/CF

His numbers check, yours don't.
Do the math.

Hey smart math boy. Why don't you take yourself down to the local Home
Depot and look on the blue 80lb bags of concrete and then tell me what
it says. If it doesn't say 1 cu. ft. then come on back here and tell me
about it. Otherwise, why don't you shut up? I've got the bag right out
in the garage and I can read what it says. And I poured it and I know
how much space it filled. I don't care who Bob is or what he is pouring
but unless he is using the same bags I did then you can't say he is
right and I am wrong. Maybe we are both right. Either way, you are a
fool for thinking you know it all.

Interesting, that. Being called a fool by a fool.

You have a very strange position on this. How can both be right? 0.6
CF = 1.0 CF. Does that look right to you? If it does, you shouldn't
be telling people to do the math as you're more than a little shaky on
it yourself. If the bag is marked incorrectly, that's not your fault.
If you miraculously got that 80 pound bag to expand by 40% in volume,
you should start a church.

I have no idea why they would print such a large volume number on the
bag. It's not like the manufacturer would make more money/sales by
doing that. The volume is what it is - you need the correct number of
bags regardless of how the package is marked.

Either the weight as marked is wrong, or the volume is wrong. Since
you'd probably have noticed if the bag weighed around 130 pounds, it's
probably the marked volume that is wrong. Either way, it's wrong and
that's all that matters. Someone should contact a lawyer and start a
class action lawsuit.