Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

JW

Default How to make new concrete attach to old concrete

I need some help.

I have a concrete front porch where at the side a 3 steps stairs was
formed when the concrete porch was built. I want to pour concrete to
fill this 'hole' which served as stairs and then install stairs at the
other side of the porch. I plan to use some plywood to build a form
to shape the concrete so nobody will know there used to be a stairwell
right there.

My question is, how do I make sure the new concrete will stick to the
old concrete ? How do I make sure it won't split apart after a few
years ? My neighbour suggested using a brute breaker to make the
stairs surface rough so it might bond with new concrete easier. Or
should I add re-bars ?

Thanks in advance if some knowledable individual can help me with
this.
Raymond Koonce

JW wrote:

I need some help.

I have a concrete front porch where at the side a 3 steps stairs was
formed when the concrete porch was built. I want to pour concrete to
fill this 'hole' which served as stairs and then install stairs at the
other side of the porch. I plan to use some plywood to build a form
to shape the concrete so nobody will know there used to be a stairwell
right there.

My question is, how do I make sure the new concrete will stick to the
old concrete ? How do I make sure it won't split apart after a few
years ? My neighbour suggested using a brute breaker to make the
stairs surface rough so it might bond with new concrete easier. Or
should I add re-bars ?

Thanks in advance if some knowledable individual can help me with
this.

I would definately drill some holes in the edges of the existing
concrete and install rebar dowels with grout in the holes before you
pour the fill concrete.

JW

Can you tell me what is the bond agent you talked about ? Is it
something readily available in home depot ?

"kenny blankenship" wrote in message ...
use liquid bonding agent
"JW" wrote in message
om...
I need some help.

I have a concrete front porch where at the side a 3 steps stairs was
formed when the concrete porch was built. I want to pour concrete to
fill this 'hole' which served as stairs and then install stairs at the
other side of the porch. I plan to use some plywood to build a form
to shape the concrete so nobody will know there used to be a stairwell
right there.

My question is, how do I make sure the new concrete will stick to the
old concrete ? How do I make sure it won't split apart after a few
years ? My neighbour suggested using a brute breaker to make the
stairs surface rough so it might bond with new concrete easier. Or
should I add re-bars ?

Thanks in advance if some knowledable individual can help me with
this.

Jeff

yes

--
Jeff Samborski
http://www.lamsam.com
om...

On 21 Jun 2004 15:39:43 -0700, someone wrote:

I plan to use some plywood to build a form
to shape the concrete so nobody will know there used to be a stairwell
right there.

You can easily make a functional and sound patch but its gonna be
pretty tough to make it so "nobody will know" that it is a patch
(unless you cover it with something). What is the secret that nobody
can know, did you bury some bodies there or keep little girls captive?

If anybody knew it was a patch, would they actually care or hold it
against you in some way???

-v.
kenny blankenship

we buy it at brick and block supply yards. It comes in a gallon jug and is
thick and white(kinda like Elmers glue) we dilute it with water for interior
plastering repairs but using it at full strength will be good for what you
need.Make sure the area is brushed clean and then roll it or brush it on ,
let it dry and then do your stuff.
om...

"JW" wrote in message
om...
I need some help.

I have a concrete front porch where at the side a 3 steps stairs was
formed when the concrete porch was built. I want to pour concrete to
fill this 'hole' which served as stairs and then install stairs at the
other side of the porch. I plan to use some plywood to build a form
to shape the concrete so nobody will know there used to be a stairwell
right there.

My question is, how do I make sure the new concrete will stick to the
old concrete ? How do I make sure it won't split apart after a few
years ? My neighbour suggested using a brute breaker to make the
stairs surface rough so it might bond with new concrete easier. Or
should I add re-bars ?

Thanks in advance if some knowledable individual can help me with
this.

JW

That's a good one. Actually my concern is the look. I want it to look
good and do not want it to look like a cheap patch.

"v" wrote in message
On 21 Jun 2004 15:39:43 -0700, someone wrote:

I plan to use some plywood to build a form
to shape the concrete so nobody will know there used to be a stairwell
right there.

You can easily make a functional and sound patch but its gonna be
pretty tough to make it so "nobody will know" that it is a patch
(unless you cover it with something). What is the secret that nobody
can know, did you bury some bodies there or keep little girls captive?

supposedly one of the Olsen twins went to some medical center, but maybe
"the media" is covering up her disappearance... hmmm.. and this post;
coincidence? or not?