Robert Allison

User Example wrote:
Sam the Cat wrote:

Folks,
I am looking for the volume of concrete in a 60 and 80 lb bag. It
seems
its only sold by weight and the quantity calculators online at either
sakrete or quikrete are PIA since you have to convert to "equivalent
slab"
size. Someone has got to know the numbers -- looking for something
like x
cuft / 60 lb bag etc

TIA

I have an 80lb bag of premix concrete in my garage that says 1 cu. ft.
on it. And based on use, I'd say it is right.

And you would be wrong. I have done about 600 replacements of
balcony decks on apartment complexes (2" of concrete on a
wooden substrate, each about 6'x8'). The first ones that we
did, I measured the cubic feet needed for the deck and bought
the appropriate amount of bags (marked 1 cubic foot). On the
first one we were 12 bags short. I recalculated and it came
out the same.

I returned to my concrete supplier (instead of home depot) and
bought identical weight bags of concrete (80 pound bags).
These, however, were marked .60 cubic feet. I did the
calculations again. The next deck had 1/2 bag leftover.

Now I use the .60 measurement and it comes out pretty close
every time, even when I buy the stuff at home depot that is
marked 1 cubic foot.

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.