W. Watson

Default How Does the Mouse Get In?

Mice get into the area under our house. We think we've blocked all entrances,
but I guess not. It's tempting to surround the house with a 6" bed of sand to
see if I can detect mouse tracks, but that's a lot of work. Any ideas on how to
find out where the little buggers get in? I've killed nine of them in 2 months.
The area below the house is about 800 sq feet and has a dirt floor.

Web Page: home.earthlink.net/~mtnviews

Duane Bozarth

"W. Watson" wrote:

Mice get into the area under our house. We think we've blocked all entrances,
but I guess not. It's tempting to surround the house with a 6" bed of sand to
see if I can detect mouse tracks, but that's a lot of work. Any ideas on how to
find out where the little buggers get in? I've killed nine of them in 2 months.
The area below the house is about 800 sq feet and has a dirt floor.

They can come in a hole the size of your thumb or less or dig under the
foundation or climb the foundation wall and squeeze in under a gap in
the siding or...
Banty

In article , Duane Bozarth says...

"W. Watson" wrote:

Mice get into the area under our house. We think we've blocked all entrances,
but I guess not. It's tempting to surround the house with a 6" bed of sand to
see if I can detect mouse tracks, but that's a lot of work. Any ideas on how to
find out where the little buggers get in? I've killed nine of them in 2 months.
The area below the house is about 800 sq feet and has a dirt floor.

They can come in a hole the size of your thumb or less or dig under the
foundation or climb the foundation wall and squeeze in under a gap in
the siding or...

Yep.

After 11 years in my house I've found ALL the thumb-sized holes and blocked them
and taught my teenaged son not to leave ANY food around that would sustain a
mouse (mebbe a crumb a day..)...

NOT

Although I done what I can, and continue the effort, to keep the mice down. I
have a feline mouse-trapper that works pretty good. It's 15 years old now,
though, and needs oiling.

Cheers,
Banty

CL (dnoyeB) Gilbert

W. Watson wrote:
Mice get into the area under our house. We think we've blocked all
entrances, but I guess not. It's tempting to surround the house with a
6" bed of sand to see if I can detect mouse tracks, but that's a lot of
work. Any ideas on how to find out where the little buggers get in? I've
killed nine of them in 2 months. The area below the house is about 800
sq feet and has a dirt floor.

My sig says it all. perhaps they were born there...

--
Respectfully,

CL Gilbert

"Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that entereth not by the door into
the sheepfold, but climbeth up some other way, the same is a thief and a
robber."
W. Watson

CL (dnoyeB) Gilbert wrote:

W. Watson wrote:

Mice get into the area under our house. We think we've blocked all
entrances, but I guess not. It's tempting to surround the house with a
6" bed of sand to see if I can detect mouse tracks, but that's a lot
of work. Any ideas on how to find out where the little buggers get in?
I've killed nine of them in 2 months. The area below the house is
about 800 sq feet and has a dirt floor.

My sig says it all. perhaps they were born there...

I believe it's in a recent science magazine that talks about finding the
migratory path of some birds over a swamp. They put out food near where the
birds roosted that contained some luminous trace element. After six weeks or so,
they could easily see the route of the birds from the glow of bird droppings at
night. I suppose another trick might be to close all the holes that are obvious,
and then set off a smoke bomb (or insect bomb), and see where the smoke pours out.

Web Page: home.earthlink.net/~mtnviews

SteveB

"W. Watson" wrote in message
nk.net...
Mice get into the area under our house. We think we've blocked all
entrances, but I guess not. It's tempting to surround the house with a 6"
bed of sand to see if I can detect mouse tracks, but that's a lot of work.
Any ideas on how to find out where the little buggers get in? I've killed
nine of them in 2 months. The area below the house is about 800 sq feet
and has a dirt floor.

Web Page: home.earthlink.net/~mtnviews

Two amazing facts:

One: mice can get through incredibly small holes and have teeth that can
enlarge a hole/space in almost any building material.

Two: You think you got a pretty tight fitting house. It is amazing just
how many spaces and holes there are in there that you cannot see that amount
to a Mouse Autobahn.

Mice are all around you. You can trap and trap and trap, but those little
promiscuous mices are out there making more mice in the meantime. You can
take millions of them in traps, and there are billions left.

Get lots of traps. I like the glue traps because they are easier to set.
Just a little sad when the little boogers are screaming with their faces
glued down ................

Steve

Steve

SteveB

"SteveB" wrote

Mice are all around you. You can trap and trap and trap, but those little
promiscuous mices are out there making more mice in the meantime. You can
take millions of them in traps, and there are billions left.

Get lots of traps. I like the glue traps because they are easier to set.
Just a little sad when the little boogers are screaming with their faces
glued down ................

Steve

The poisoned peanut butter idea sounds good, too. And cheaper. And easier.
And more humane.

Steve

Harry K

SteveB wrote:
"W. Watson" wrote in message
nk.net...
Mice get into the area under our house. We think we've blocked all
entrances, but I guess not. It's tempting to surround the house with a =

6"
bed of sand to see if I can detect mouse tracks, but that's a lot of wo=

rk.
Any ideas on how to find out where the little buggers get in? I've kill=

ed
nine of them in 2 months. The area below the house is about 800 sq feet
and has a dirt floor.
Obz Site: 39=B0 15' 7" N, 121=B0 2' 32" W, 2700 feet

Web Page: home.earthlink.net/~mtnviews

Two amazing facts:

One: mice can get through incredibly small holes and have teeth that can
enlarge a hole/space in almost any building material.

snip

Steve

For sure! I once watched one get into my basement through a gap in the
mortar between blocks. The mortar seam was a -bit- wider than normal
but not by much. I would have sworn there was no way for the skull to
pass through but he went through like he was greased.

Harry K

CL (dnoyeB) Gilbert

W. Watson wrote:
CL (dnoyeB) Gilbert wrote:

W. Watson wrote:

[...]

lol, now your sig says it all. Smoke bomb? Your looking for an
adventure

--
Respectfully,

CL Gilbert
SteveB

"Harry K" wrote

For sure! I once watched one get into my basement through a gap in the
mortar between blocks. The mortar seam was a -bit- wider than normal
but not by much. I would have sworn there was no way for the skull to
pass through but he went through like he was greased.

Harry K

I have heard it said that if a mouse can get his nose into something up to
his ears, he can get his whole body through. As you said, I have seen them
get through some very small holes.

And if you've ever wrecked out a house, taken off drywall and exposed
studwork, toeplates, and top plates, you know there are holes in there big
enough to stick your thumb through with plenty of clearance. Lots of extra
holes drilled by workmen for pipes, vents, drains, conduit, and such that
were never backfilled.

Lots of room for a slick little mouse.

Steve

Jmagerl

SteveB wrote:
"Harry K" wrote

For sure! I once watched one get into my basement through a gap in
the mortar between blocks. The mortar seam was a -bit- wider than
normal but not by much. I would have sworn there was no way for the skull
pass through but he went through like he was greased.

Harry K

I have heard it said that if a mouse can get his nose into something
up to his ears, he can get his whole body through. As you said, I
have seen them get through some very small holes.

And if you've ever wrecked out a house, taken off drywall and exposed
studwork, toeplates, and top plates, you know there are holes in
there big enough to stick your thumb through with plenty of
clearance. Lots of extra holes drilled by workmen for pipes, vents,
drains, conduit, and such that were never backfilled.

Lots of room for a slick little mouse.

Steve

Mine seem to come in right under the door. All the vinyl thresholds have
either worn away or been eaten away leaving the tiniest of cracks.

Amun

"SteveB" wrote in message

"SteveB" wrote

Mice are all around you. You can trap and trap and trap, but those

little
promiscuous mices are out there making more mice in the meantime. You

can
take millions of them in traps, and there are billions left.

Get lots of traps. I like the glue traps because they are easier to

set.
Just a little sad when the little boogers are screaming with their faces
glued down ................

Steve

The poisoned peanut butter idea sounds good, too. And cheaper. And

easier.
And more humane.

Steve

Not really.

Have you ever been around a house where poision was used and the mice die
in the walls or some other space where you can't readily find them .
Mmmmmm the aroma is something else, especially in hot humid weather.

The little buggers not only will get in around the base of the house, they
can climb right up two floors and go in through the roof eaves too.

It may help to clear ALL debris away from the house for at least 500' and
keep the grass trimmed low.

And use traps with the springs, that break their cute little necks

But the only real solution,.....get a cat or two.

Jmagerl

"Amun" wrote in message

"SteveB" wrote in message

[...]

I second the cat idea. Lived in my house for 5 years. 1st year caught 69
mice in the house. 2nd year caught 52. 3rd year I lost count at 55. 4th year
62. 5th year caught 9 mice. Which year did I get a cat? 6 of the 9 were
caught before we got the cat. I don't believe he has ever caught a mouse but
its his odor that the mice sniff and steer clear.

Otherwise, this is the best mouse trap ever made:
http://www.walgreens.com/store/produ...&id=prod869134

NapalmHeart

"Jmagerl" wrote in message

"Amun" wrote in message

"SteveB" wrote in message

[...]

If you get a cat, don't use poison. We lost a great cat because she ate so
many poisoned mice.

Ken

DS

Only problem with a cat --- and we have two --- is that when they catch a
mouse they like to bring it to you, often at 3am. Look what I caught
mommy... Aren't I wonderful...
As far as dead mice, we had one die in our heating system. There was no way
to reach it without taking out ducts. Just had to put up with it. Somewhere
in there is a tiny mouse skeleton...
ds

"NapalmHeart" wrote in message

"Jmagerl" wrote in message

"Amun" wrote in message

"SteveB" wrote in message

[...]

Amun

so?
What a wonderful, pussycat, that it brings fresh meat to share with you.

Fire up the bar-b-cue and get out the buns mother, we're eating good
tonight.

We used to have a cat that would hunt all night, and every morning the
"booty" was lined up in a neat row outside our back door .
Mice, rats, rabbits, moles, shrews......it was funny to see what that cat
could "take down".
The cat would sit behind it meowing proudly
Wife got to the point she wouldn't open the door until I went out first to
clean up the "gifts" LOL

But neither we, or any of the neighbors for miles around ever had varmint
problems g

And during the warm weather we never had to buy one can of cat food.

AMUN

t.ca...