James \Cubby\ Culbertson

Default Outdoor Lighting Ckt Protection Opinions.

Hiya Folks,
Working on my electrical for some outdoor lighting. I am pulling wire from
my breaker to a box inside the garage and from there it heads through the
wall directly into the wall. My question is around GFCI. I was planning
on putting in a GFCI Receptacle upstream of all the lights. One of the
guys at the local Borg said he probably wouldn't bother. Another said it
was a good idea. I'm just wondering if there's a recommendation for this.
I know outdoor receptacles need GFCI (which this isn't) but what about
lighting?
Cheers,
cc

CL (dnoyeB) Gilbert

James "Cubby" Culbertson wrote:
Hiya Folks,
Working on my electrical for some outdoor lighting. I am pulling wire from
my breaker to a box inside the garage and from there it heads through the
wall directly into the wall. My question is around GFCI. I was planning
on putting in a GFCI Receptacle upstream of all the lights. One of the
guys at the local Borg said he probably wouldn't bother. Another said it
was a good idea. I'm just wondering if there's a recommendation for this.
I know outdoor receptacles need GFCI (which this isn't) but what about
lighting?
Cheers,
cc

ground level lighting like pool lighting? Perhaps. I wouldnt put a
general light such as a garage light on gfci. It just serves no
purpose. If your trying to add more safety maybe you can add a AFCI.

--
Respectfully,

CL Gilbert
James \Cubby\ Culbertson

ground level lighting like pool lighting? Perhaps. I wouldnt put a
general light such as a garage light on gfci. It just serves no purpose.
If your trying to add more safety maybe you can add a AFCI.

--
Respectfully,

CL Gilbert

Thanks CL. I suppose that makes sense as there's no "equipment" per se on
this circuit, only lights. I'm more worried about
water getting in as it is an outdoor location but the average breaker should
catch that I would think.
Cheers,
cc

CL (dnoyeB) Gilbert

James "Cubby" Culbertson wrote:
ground level lighting like pool lighting? Perhaps. I wouldnt put a
general light such as a garage light on gfci. It just serves no purpose.
If your trying to add more safety maybe you can add a AFCI.

--
Respectfully,

CL Gilbert

Thanks CL. I suppose that makes sense as there's no "equipment" per se on
this circuit, only lights. I'm more worried about
water getting in as it is an outdoor location but the average breaker should
catch that I would think.
Cheers,
cc

right, if you are worried about that then look into Arc-fault circuit
breakers.

--
Respectfully,

CL Gilbert

electrical interruption Choreboy Home Repair 41 April 17th 05 10:14 PM
Surge Protector for Nova DVR lathe Tony the Turner Woodturning 11 March 21st 05 05:56 PM
OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
Thermal Protection Rating on small electric motors 1_Patriotic_Guy Home Repair 6 October 18th 04 11:48 PM
Repairing Lightning Damaged Tv's CJ Electronics Repair 20 June 22nd 04 06:03 AM