Sam Nickaby

Default Mold on shower curtains.

We keep replacing the shower curtains because of mold. Recently we
bought an anti-mold shower curtain. This lasted a bit longer but
eventually mold will grow on it. What are some ways I can prevent
mold growth on shower curtains.

Thanks

Joseph Meehan

Sam Nickaby wrote:
We keep replacing the shower curtains because of mold. Recently we
bought an anti-mold shower curtain. This lasted a bit longer but
eventually mold will grow on it. What are some ways I can prevent
mold growth on shower curtains.

Thanks

Keep them clean and dry. Really. I know what may not be al that easy,
but that is the answer. Wash them from time to time.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Joseph Meehan wrote:

Sam Nickaby wrote:

...What are some ways I can prevent mold growth on shower curtains.

Keep them clean and dry...

And turn on a bathroom fan with a humidistat when the RH rises to 60%.

Nick

Hopkins

Yeah, moisture is the enemy. You have to get them to dry -- you can
clean them if you want, but a dry shower curtain gathers no ... mold.

Jim Yanik

"Sam Nickaby" wrote in
:

We keep replacing the shower curtains because of mold. Recently we
bought an anti-mold shower curtain. This lasted a bit longer but
eventually mold will grow on it. What are some ways I can prevent
mold growth on shower curtains.

Thanks

A spray bottle with a bleach solution.
Or wiping it down with a sponge soaked in bleach solution.
Install a sterilizer UV lamp to run when everyone's asleep.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Edwin Pawlowski

"Sam Nickaby" wrote in message
.. .
We keep replacing the shower curtains because of mold. Recently we
bought an anti-mold shower curtain. This lasted a bit longer but
eventually mold will grow on it. What are some ways I can prevent
mold growth on shower curtains.

Thanks

Use the spray shower cleaners after every use too. Helps things like that
a lot. Close the curtain so it can dry. Vent the bathroom too.

Jennifer

Sam Nickaby wrote:
We keep replacing the shower curtains because of mold. Recently we
bought an anti-mold shower curtain. This lasted a bit longer but
eventually mold will grow on it. What are some ways I can prevent
mold growth on shower curtains.

Are you using plastic or cloth? The cloth ones last much longer, and
you can just toss them in the washer when they start to smell mildewy.
They also just look much nicer than the plastic ones.

--
Jennifer

Suzie-Q

In article .com,
"Jennifer" wrote:

- Sam Nickaby wrote:
- We keep replacing the shower curtains because of mold. Recently we
- bought an anti-mold shower curtain. This lasted a bit longer but
- eventually mold will grow on it. What are some ways I can prevent
- mold growth on shower curtains.
-
-
- Are you using plastic or cloth? The cloth ones last much longer, and
- you can just toss them in the washer when they start to smell mildewy.
- They also just look much nicer than the plastic ones.

You can toss the plastic ones in the washer, too.

After you've rehung the shower curtain, spray it with warm water to
get out the wrinkles.
--
8^)~~~ Sue (remove the x to e-mail)
~~~~~~

http://www.suzanne-eckhardt.com/
http://www.intergnat.com/malebashing/
http://www.intergnat.com/pussygames/
Jennifer

Suzie-Q wrote:

You can toss the plastic ones in the washer, too.

After you've rehung the shower curtain, spray it with warm water to
get out the wrinkles.

I tried that a few times, washing plastic ones with an old towel, but
the plastic always creased and stuck to itself in the washer. The
curtain would come out with any mildew removed from exposed surfaces,
but would still have mildew anywhere the curtain folded.

I switched to a cloth liner + cloth curtain about three years ago... it
really is a big improvement.

YMMV, of course

--
Jennifer

wkearney99

I switched to a cloth liner + cloth curtain about three years ago... it
really is a big improvement.

+1 to that idea, they're much more resistant to mold and MUCH easier to
clean. The only trouble being the usual hassle of dealing with the clips.

Nil

On 25 Jul 2005, "Sam Nickaby" wrote in
:

We keep replacing the shower curtains because of mold.

I toss mine in the washer with a lot of bleach. I run the cycle until
it fills with water, then shut it off and let it sit for a few hours or
overnight. Then I turn the washer back on and let it complete the
cycle.

Greetings,

If you have more than one shower in your house try taking showers in
both on alternate days. If your shower cutain has a lot of extra folds
that stay folded you might try one which is smaller (or make yours
smaller). You might also consider installing sliding glass doors. Or
you could have a topless maid over to clean them each and every time
your wife lets them get a spec of mold.

Hope this helps,
William

Norminn

Sam Nickaby wrote:
We keep replacing the shower curtains because of mold. Recently we
bought an anti-mold shower curtain. This lasted a bit longer but
eventually mold will grow on it. What are some ways I can prevent
mold growth on shower curtains.

Thanks

Sponge it off with soapy water with a touch of bleach. I toss mine in
the washer, with a couple of towels, run on gentle cycle, warm water,
detergent and bleach. Put in dryer, low heat, for only a minute or two,
to warm it and get the wrinkles out. DO NOT forget it ) Hang it up
right away. When they get old, I use them for drop cloths.

Phisherman

On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 10:54:52 GMT, "Sam Nickaby" wrote:

We keep replacing the shower curtains because of mold. Recently we
bought an anti-mold shower curtain. This lasted a bit longer but
eventually mold will grow on it. What are some ways I can prevent
mold growth on shower curtains.

Thanks

Use an after-shower spray on the curtain. Run a fan for at least 20
minutes after bathing. Kill exisiting mold/mildew with a solution of
1 pint warm water, 1/4 cup household bleach, 1/4 teaspoon dishwashing
liquid in a spray bottle. Mold and mildew require moisture to grow.

MUADIB®

I have had some luck in the past with just such a situation. Once I
had a clean Shower curtain hanging, I would spray with Lemon pledge.
Heavily spray, and let dry and when bathing, soap scum won;t stick
either.

We keep replacing the shower curtains because of mold. Recently we
bought an anti-mold shower curtain. This lasted a bit longer but
eventually mold will grow on it. What are some ways I can prevent
mold growth on shower curtains.

Thanks

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply

MUADIB®

http://www.angelfire.com/retro/sster...IN%20PAGE.html

If A Quiz is Quizical,
What is a test?

The Peacemaking Meeting scheduled for today has been
cancelled due to a conflict.
Norminn

MUADIB® wrote:
I have had some luck in the past with just such a situation. Once I
had a clean Shower curtain hanging, I would spray with Lemon pledge.
Heavily spray, and let dry and when bathing, soap scum won;t stick
either.

That may make a shower base slippery and dangerous. Getting rid of
excess humidity and soap scum will do most. I am in the process of
regrouting shower stall. In preparation, I was amazed at the amount of
soap scum I scraped off tiles. I scrub often, and thought they were
clean. Also have a good bit of hardness in water, which adds to the
mildew problem. After I get grouting done and sealed, it will be
interesting to see how the mildew goes. Am inclined to scrub shower
once week with Dawn and hot water, to see if it keeps the soap scum away.

MUADIB®

On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 08:53:38 GMT, Norminn
wrote:

MUADIB® wrote:
I have had some luck in the past with just such a situation. Once I
had a clean Shower curtain hanging, I would spray with Lemon pledge.
Heavily spray, and let dry and when bathing, soap scum won;t stick
either.

That may make a shower base slippery and dangerous. Getting rid of
excess humidity and soap scum will do most.

Doesn't seem to be a problem for me. Although I could see where that
could present an issue for some.
Good luck on the Dawn approach.

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply

MUADIB®

http://www.angelfire.com/retro/sster...IN%20PAGE.html

If A Quiz is Quizical,
What is a test?

The Peacemaking Meeting scheduled for today has been
cancelled due to a conflict.
Curly Sue

On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 10:54:52 GMT, "Sam Nickaby" wrote:

We keep replacing the shower curtains because of mold. Recently we
bought an anti-mold shower curtain. This lasted a bit longer but
eventually mold will grow on it. What are some ways I can prevent
mold growth on shower curtains.

Try washing or soaking it in a diaper pail sanitizer eg Impregnon.
Also, there are products to spray around the bathroom to prevent mold
and mildew that should be available in your grocery store.

Eliminating dampness when possible is #1.

Sue(tm)
ameijers

"Jennifer" wrote in message
oups.com...

Sam Nickaby wrote:
We keep replacing the shower curtains because of mold. Recently we
bought an anti-mold shower curtain. This lasted a bit longer but
eventually mold will grow on it. What are some ways I can prevent
mold growth on shower curtains.

Are you using plastic or cloth? The cloth ones last much longer, and
you can just toss them in the washer when they start to smell mildewy.
They also just look much nicer than the plastic ones.

I'll second or third that. I buy the closest thing to a hotel shower curtain
I can find in civilian stores, looks like the same stuff they make the sails
for the baby sailboats out of. Some sort of synthetic, never bothered to
read the labels that close. Once every 3-4 months, I run it through the
washer with a load of towels, and hang it back up damp. No mold problems at
all, and I'm a slob. They seem to last about 5 years for me before the edges
start looking frayed. I'll never go back to plastic.

aem sends...

Frank B.

Sam Nickaby wrote:
We keep replacing the shower curtains because of mold. Recently we
bought an anti-mold shower curtain. This lasted a bit longer but
eventually mold will grow on it. What are some ways I can prevent
mold growth on shower curtains.

Once a week I pour a bottle of alcohol all along the shower curtain to
allow an even coat. I also "shower" the curtain with water to remove soap
scum before exiting the stall. I think this helps more than alcohol.

Goedjn

Sam Nickaby wrote:
We keep replacing the shower curtains because of mold. Recently we
bought an anti-mold shower curtain. This lasted a bit longer but
eventually mold will grow on it. What are some ways I can prevent
mold growth on shower curtains.

Once a week I pour a bottle of alcohol all along the shower curtain to
allow an even coat. I also "shower" the curtain with water to remove soap
scum before exiting the stall. I think this helps more than alcohol.

If you don't mind the smell and the 1% increase in your chances
of dying of cancer, one of those rectangular "mothball" blocks
that's designed to hand in a closet will inhibit (not stop, but
slow down) mold and mildew growth.

I'll second or third that. I buy the closest thing to a hotel shower curtain
I can find in civilian stores, looks like the same stuff they make the sails
for the baby sailboats out of. Some sort of synthetic, never bothered to
read the labels that close. Once every 3-4 months, I run it through the
washer with a load of towels, and hang it back up damp. No mold problems at
all, and I'm a slob. They seem to last about 5 years for me before the edges
start looking frayed. I'll never go back to plastic.

Same here

I will never go back to plastic. I've got a polyester
fabric curtain that is hookless. best thing I ever
bought!

Shower Curtains John Edgar UK diy 21 February 19th 05 10:57 PM
Mold and damp underneath shower The CQMMAN UK diy 13 November 7th 04 11:20 AM
Mold growing in the attic jeff Home Repair 3 February 5th 04 07:48 PM
Mold growing in the attic jeff Home Ownership 3 February 5th 04 07:48 PM
Shower screen grumble... David W.E. Roberts UK diy 0 September 5th 03 05:49 PM