Peter

Default A painting question....

When painting a room, which surface is done first...ceiling or the walls.???

I can see that it would be easier to do the walls first as they are easier to mask
so that you can get a straight line between wall and ceiling.

But some people swear that the ceiling should be done first. Isn't it more
difficult to mask the ceiling for a straight paint line ???

When painting a wallI is a edge trimmer the best way to get a straight line,
(just the wall needs to be painted....the ceiling is fine)......

Thanks in advance for your help !!!

Peter
The hooligan

Why are you masking either surface? They have invented a tool called the
"brush', which will easily coat the wall next to the ceiling. I guess
you didn't pass the "color within the lines" part of first grade, or
else your misinformed. The ceiling is painted first, followed by the
wood trim, then the walls. Of course, you and every other hobby
homeowner knows better, so go ahead and do it like you're going to
anyway. If you would like some real advice that would help instead of my
semi-sarcastic remarks. I would be happy to oblige, as long as you
really plan on using my advice, otherwise I have better things to do
with my fingers,(sarcastic remarks welcome and appreciated) than type
advice you won't heed.

Edwin Pawlowski

"Peter" wrote in message
When painting a room, which surface is done first...ceiling or the
walls.???

I can see that it would be easier to do the walls first as they are easier
to mask
so that you can get a straight line between wall and ceiling.

But some people swear that the ceiling should be done first. Isn't it
more
difficult to mask the ceiling for a straight paint line ???

Mask? No reason to mask. Do the ceiling first. Don't worry about the edge
just yet.. Just do the edge with a brush and some will get on the wall.

Now you cut in the walls. Use a good brush, not the $1.29 three pack of
crap. Buy a $10 brush that will allow you to hold a good line and the brush
will hold a good supply of paint. Touch the brush to the wall about a half
inch below the ceiling. Draw it up to the ceiling and pull it straight
across. A properly loaded brush will give you a nice line of paint for
about two feet. Will it be perfect? Damned neat it and the eye will not see
a slight variation from a few feet away. If you go the other way first, any
variation of the ceiling paint on the wall is going to be very visible.

When painting a wallI is a edge trimmer the best way to get a straight
line,
(just the wall needs to be painted....the ceiling is fine)......

I've seen some that are a pad with two guide wheels. Yes, they can work,
but if you get paint on the wheels, it is going to be on the ceiling.

cm

Edwin,

Very well said.

Peter,

Look for a Purdy or Wooster paint brush and use Edwins advice.

cm

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message

"Peter" wrote in message
[...]

Peter

On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 02:22:09 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:

"Peter" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Thanks for telling me the proper way to do it. I've always done the ceiling
first, just wasn't quite sure why and was watching another painter do the
walls first, then mask the walls, and put in the ceiling. The wall
paint line was pretty near perfect but the he finished product
looked like the celing was coming a little down the wall, It was noticeable.

I never learned the proper way to cut the brush close in to the ceiling.

I've used the two wheel paint pad before.... it has some shortcoming...

Doesn't hold a lot of paint...
Follows every variation in the ceiling
The pad is about 3/16" away from the edge of the roller...so there is always a gap.
As you mentioned....kinda messy.....and the wheels will track paint on the ceiling.

Thanks again for the information !!!

Peter

Jeff

I do ceiling first. Then mask with 3M tape. Note there are various grades,
use the second to easiest to remove. If you are good then maybe you can
carefully brush. For me using tape is faster.

"Peter" wrote in message
When painting a room, which surface is done first...ceiling or the
walls.???

I can see that it would be easier to do the walls first as they are easier
to mask
so that you can get a straight line between wall and ceiling.

But some people swear that the ceiling should be done first. Isn't it
more
difficult to mask the ceiling for a straight paint line ???

When painting a wallI is a edge trimmer the best way to get a straight
line,
(just the wall needs to be painted....the ceiling is fine)......

Thanks in advance for your help !!!

Peter

jeffc

"Peter" wrote in message
When painting a room, which surface is done first...ceiling or the
walls.???

I can see that it would be easier to do the walls first as they are easier
to mask
so that you can get a straight line between wall and ceiling.

But some people swear that the ceiling should be done first. Isn't it
more
difficult to mask the ceiling for a straight paint line ???

You wouldn't do that because no self respecting painter uses masking tape.
Too much time, and it doesn't work right anyway (paint seeps under the
edge.) Learn to use the correct brush with the correct technique and you'll
never go back.

jeffc

"Peter" wrote in message

I never learned the proper way to cut the brush close in to the ceiling.

Do not buy a small "trim" brush. Get the full size brush. Then turn it so
that you're brushing lengthwise - or horizontally when painting the wall
near the ceiling.

Buck Turgidson

One good reason for not using tape is that you'd have to wait a few days
for the ceiling to dry, otherwise you'll pull the new paint off with the
tape.

Don't have a hangover and coffee shakes, and practice a bit. It's not
hard.

paint ceiling or walls first snip

I've always painted ceillings first as you can then paint
over any gravity induced drips or runs from the ceiling down
the walls.
When painting the walls the paint will never drip or run up
to the ceiling. Unless there is leakage from your neighbors
anti-grav generator.

ml
Jeff

Actually you can tape within a couple of hours if you use either 3M 1 or 2
type tape on their scale of 1 to 5. Type 1 is like Post-it adhesive. Type
1 is harder to find. Type 2 works ok for me. Type 5 by the way is for
surfaces like rough bricks.
Also worth buying bright work lights, the kind with the skinny cylinder type
halogen bulbs.

"Buck Turgidson" wrote in message
One good reason for not using tape is that you'd have to wait a few days
for the ceiling to dry, otherwise you'll pull the new paint off with the
tape.

Don't have a hangover and coffee shakes, and practice a bit. It's not
hard.

The hooligan

A painting question....

Group: alt.home.repair Date: Wed, Jul 13, 2005, 10:28pm (CDT+1) From:
(Peter)
On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 20:42:42 -0500,
(The hooligan)
wrote:
Why are you masking either surface? They have invented a tool called the
"brush', which will easily coat the wall next to the ceiling. I guess
you didn't pass the "color within the lines" part of first grade, or
else your misinformed. The ceiling is painted first, followed by the
wood trim, then the walls. Of course, you and every other hobby
homeowner knows better, so go ahead and do it like you're going to
anyway. If you would like some real advice that would help instead of my
semi-sarcastic remarks. I would be happy to oblige, as long as you
really plan on using my advice, otherwise I have better things to do
with my fingers,(sarcastic remarks welcome and appreciated) than type
advice you won't heed.
Looks like you don't know the answer either !!!
I'm sure the experienced professional painters on this newsgroup will be
able to provide answers and share their expertise.
===============================
**** YOU, "Peter the Dick"(tm). I've been in the painting business for
35 years. If you could ****ing read you would see I offered the guy
advice, you did not. I'd be your daddy if the dog did'nt beat me over
the fence, you cum guzzling gutter slut. The next time you want to spar
lets have it person you short dick mother****er. I'll cut your dick off,
and shove it up your ass. The guy wants advice, well let him ****ing
google the hundreds of painting tips given on this forum. The bottom
line is he will get great advice from previous post or he'll be a
dumbass know-it-all hobby homeowner like you. The bad thing is that
someday someone will have to buy the houses you and and others like you
**** up. Do us all a big favor and stick to taking it the ass, or
sucking dicks, at least you know how to swallow.
Respectfully
Al (your Daddy)

Peter

Better see a shrink...you obviously have a serious mental problem.. You might
consider checking yourself into a mental hospital or a rehab clinic on an emergency
basis as it's hard to determine whether you are truly psychotic or your drug problem
is creating performance issues for you. Do it NOW because you might flip out
any day now and brutally murder one of your clients.

Good luck.... mental illness CAN be cured !!!