Peter

On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 02:22:09 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:

"Peter" wrote in message
.. .
When painting a room, which surface is done first...ceiling or the
walls.???

I can see that it would be easier to do the walls first as they are easier
to mask
so that you can get a straight line between wall and ceiling.

But some people swear that the ceiling should be done first. Isn't it
more
difficult to mask the ceiling for a straight paint line ???

Mask? No reason to mask. Do the ceiling first. Don't worry about the edge
just yet.. Just do the edge with a brush and some will get on the wall.

Now you cut in the walls. Use a good brush, not the $1.29 three pack of
crap. Buy a $10 brush that will allow you to hold a good line and the brush
will hold a good supply of paint. Touch the brush to the wall about a half
inch below the ceiling. Draw it up to the ceiling and pull it straight
across. A properly loaded brush will give you a nice line of paint for
about two feet. Will it be perfect? Damned neat it and the eye will not see
a slight variation from a few feet away. If you go the other way first, any
variation of the ceiling paint on the wall is going to be very visible.

When painting a wallI is a edge trimmer the best way to get a straight
line,
(just the wall needs to be painted....the ceiling is fine)......

I've seen some that are a pad with two guide wheels. Yes, they can work,
but if you get paint on the wheels, it is going to be on the ceiling.

Thanks for telling me the proper way to do it. I've always done the ceiling
first, just wasn't quite sure why and was watching another painter do the
walls first, then mask the walls, and put in the ceiling. The wall
paint line was pretty near perfect but the he finished product
looked like the celing was coming a little down the wall, It was noticeable.

I never learned the proper way to cut the brush close in to the ceiling.

I've used the two wheel paint pad before.... it has some shortcoming...

Doesn't hold a lot of paint...
Follows every variation in the ceiling
The pad is about 3/16" away from the edge of the roller...so there is always a gap.
As you mentioned....kinda messy.....and the wheels will track paint on the ceiling.

Thanks again for the information !!!

Peter