frankg

Default tiling kitchen countertops

I have some Mapei KER 121 thinset left over from installing floor ceramics.
We want to tile (2x2 inch) our kitchen counters - one is a 'dry' counter,
the
other is 'wet' - around the sink. I need a recommendation of the right
product
to use if the KER 121 isn't ok.

On the dry counter (about 2x4 feet) I have two 5/8 sheets of exterior grade
ply.
Around the sink (about 2x3 feet, minus the sink itself) I have a single
sheet
of 5/8 ply and a 1/2 inch sheet of backer board (DenShield).

Never done this before so any tips are appreciated.

thanks,
Frank

G Henslee

frankg wrote:
I have some Mapei KER 121 thinset left over from installing floor ceramics.
We want to tile (2x2 inch) our kitchen counters - one is a 'dry' counter,
the
other is 'wet' - around the sink. I need a recommendation of the right
product
to use if the KER 121 isn't ok.

On the dry counter (about 2x4 feet) I have two 5/8 sheets of exterior grade
ply.
Around the sink (about 2x3 feet, minus the sink itself) I have a single
sheet
of 5/8 ply and a 1/2 inch sheet of backer board (DenShield).

Never done this before so any tips are appreciated.

thanks,
Frank

That Mapei's modifed thinset is fine. Both substrates are sufficient as
well if there's no flex. I'd throw a stiffener underneath them if
possible. If space is tight, even a 1X flat would help. Anything else?
Jennifer

frankg wrote:
snip
We want to tile (2x2 inch) our kitchen counters

snip
Never done this before so any tips are appreciated.

Are you dead set on tile? I worked as maid cleaning many different
houses during the summers when I was in high school and college, and I
feel compelled to warn you that tile counters are by far the WORST to
clean and keep clean. They're easy and cheap to put in, and they look
great when they're new, but I would never choose them for my house.

Good luck with whatever you choose to do

--
Jennifer

Jim Ranieri

"Jennifer" wrote in message
ups.com...

frankg wrote:
snip
We want to tile (2x2 inch) our kitchen counters

snip
Never done this before so any tips are appreciated.

Are you dead set on tile? I worked as maid cleaning many different
houses during the summers when I was in high school and college, and I
feel compelled to warn you that tile counters are by far the WORST to
clean and keep clean. They're easy and cheap to put in, and they look
great when they're new, but I would never choose them for my house.

Good luck with whatever you choose to do

Word.
Got 'em. Hate 'em.
I even used epoxy grout, which was a royal pain in the ass, and they're
still imposssible to keep clean.

Rick

"Jim Ranieri" nope, wrote in message ...

"Jennifer" wrote in message
ups.com...

frankg wrote:
snip
We want to tile (2x2 inch) our kitchen counters

snip
Never done this before so any tips are appreciated.

Are you dead set on tile? I worked as maid cleaning many different
houses during the summers when I was in high school and college, and I
feel compelled to warn you that tile counters are by far the WORST to
clean and keep clean. They're easy and cheap to put in, and they look
great when they're new, but I would never choose them for my house.

Good luck with whatever you choose to do

Word.
Got 'em. Hate 'em.
I even used epoxy grout, which was a royal pain in the ass, and they're
still imposssible to keep clean.

The first time you spill coffee grounds (or flour, or sugar,
or 100 other things) on a tile counter you'll curse your
decision.

dadiOH

Jennifer wrote:
frankg wrote:
snip
We want to tile (2x2 inch) our kitchen counters

snip
Never done this before so any tips are appreciated.

Are you dead set on tile? I worked as maid cleaning many different
houses during the summers when I was in high school and college, and I
feel compelled to warn you that tile counters are by far the WORST to
clean and keep clean. They're easy and cheap to put in, and they look
great when they're new, but I would never choose them for my house.

I would. Tiles are impervious to just about *anything* and are dead
simple to keep clean. It is the grout that gives people fits and that
is because they use a light colored grout. Use a dark one and the
problem goes away.

--
dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Jennifer

dadiOH wrote:
Jennifer wrote:
They're easy and cheap to put in, and they look
great when they're new, but I would never choose them for my house.

I would. Tiles are impervious to just about *anything* and are dead
simple to keep clean. It is the grout that gives people fits and

that
is because they use a light colored grout. Use a dark one and the
problem goes away.

Actually, while stained grout certainly sucks, my annoyance was with
crumbs catching in every grout line and goop stuck in in every
bubble-pore in every grout line. Granite, Silestone, formica, even
laminate... spray, wipe, and you're done. Tile, I found, was easiest
to dustbust/vacuum first, then sweep the grout lines, then spray and
wipe, then as often as not take an old toothbrush and a toothpick to
get the crap out of the grout lines. Seriously sucked. Almost as bad as
cleaning floor-to-ceiling mirrors in smokers' houses.

Never again.

--
Jennifer

Tony Hwang

Jennifer wrote:

dadiOH wrote:

Jennifer wrote:

[...]

Hmmm
Tiles cocme many different size and shapes. I lovde tiles.
No problem keeping clean either.
Anyhow cleaning is house keeper's job, LOL.
Tony