Eric and Megan Swope

Default increasing the force of a flush in a toilet

Hi everyone. An American Standard toilet in our powder room does not flush
with great force. Sometimes remnants remain and require an extra flush.
The other 2 toilets in our house are exactly the same, but flush with
greater force. Is there anyway to increase the force with which a toilet
flushes?
Can I buy a different flush valve?

I have tried increasing the water level in the tank, no good. I have
cleaned out the little holes inside the edge of the bowl, no good.

Thanks for any help/suggestions.

Rick

"Eric and Megan Swope" wrote in message news:l6nee.8499$Rl6.5627@trndny08...
Hi everyone. An American Standard toilet in our powder room does not flush
with great force. Sometimes remnants remain and require an extra flush.
The other 2 toilets in our house are exactly the same, but flush with
greater force. Is there anyway to increase the force with which a toilet
flushes?
Can I buy a different flush valve?

I have tried increasing the water level in the tank, no good. I have
cleaned out the little holes inside the edge of the bowl, no good.

Thanks for any help/suggestions.

Have you checkd to see if the drain is partially clogged?

w_tom

The problem is directly traceable to attitude of the company
that manufactured the product. Better to buy a new toilet.
Consumer Reports laid this out. Even less expensive European
brands worked better than so many 'top of the line' (most
expensive) American Standard products. Rather than engineer a
quality product, some companies will instead cost control it.
Price had no relationship to which brands performed better.
Manufacturer's reputation for that product line will report
more useful information. Did they engineer it or cost control
it?

A previous poster who removed his American Standard
product. Found no glazing in sections that you cannot see.
That raspy surface only made the flushing even worse.
American Standard - their designs being the problem. But
don't take my word for it. Get Consumer Reports. I believe
it is the May 1998 issue.

Why do some work and others not? Also the size of sewer
pipes will have adverse effects. A larger pipe can cause
additional problems. But it should not. The toilet itself
should have been properly manufactured.

Eric and Megan Swope wrote:
Hi everyone. An American Standard toilet in our powder room does
not flush with great force. Sometimes remnants remain and require
an extra flush. The other 2 toilets in our house are exactly the
same, but flush with greater force. Is there anyway to increase
the force with which a toilet flushes?
Can I buy a different flush valve?

I have tried increasing the water level in the tank, no good. I
have cleaned out the little holes inside the edge of the bowl, no
good.

Thanks for any help/suggestions.

borgunit

I believe there is a "underground market" for older toilets. Ones that
increase the quantity of water.

Here is a handy little link also...

http://www.toiletology.com/toc.shtml

Speedy Jim

Eric and Megan Swope wrote:

Hi everyone. An American Standard toilet in our powder room does not flush
with great force. Sometimes remnants remain and require an extra flush.
The other 2 toilets in our house are exactly the same, but flush with
greater force.

SNIP
Since the other 2 work, it's fixable.

Look in the bowl, toward the front, for a hole about 3/4" diam.
If this model has one, it is the "siphon jet".
They often get clogged internally with calcium.
Without the jet, you get a "lazy" flush.
When flush begins, you should see a flow of water
out this hole. Compare to the other 2.

If this model does *not* have it, the rim jets
need more thorough cleaning.

Jim

Joseph Meehan

Eric and Megan Swope wrote:
Hi everyone. An American Standard toilet in our powder room does not
flush with great force. Sometimes remnants remain and require an
extra flush. The other 2 toilets in our house are exactly the same,
but flush with greater force. Is there anyway to increase the force
with which a toilet flushes?
Can I buy a different flush valve?

I have tried increasing the water level in the tank, no good. I have
cleaned out the little holes inside the edge of the bowl, no good.

Thanks for any help/suggestions.

In addition to Speedy's suggestion, which sounds like it is right since
the other two (I assume same design) are OK, you can try just holding the
handle down a little longer until it has a good flush. Most allow a
standard flush or a full force flush when the handle is held down.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Ned Flanders

consumer reports is bull****.
they use the winning company ad for their layout is a lot of cases.
I have seen them rate **** very high more than once.

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message
Eric and Megan Swope wrote:
[...]

Jag Man

Eric,

I have no idea on why one of your Am Std toilets is not working as
well
as the others. All I can offer is a suggestion for getting a good
flusher.
An independent study was done of flush performance of low-flus
toilets.
I don't seem to have the Web page bookmarked anymore, but you can
probably
find it with Google. It shows which ones flush and which ones don't.
While
Am Std. had at least one reasonable performer in the test, the best,
low-cost
wane was the Toto Drake. We have two, and they are excellent. As I
recall,
I paid about $185 sans seat.

Ed

"Eric and Megan Swope" wrote in message
Hi everyone. An American Standard toilet in our powder room does

not flush
with great force. Sometimes remnants remain and require an extra

flush.
The other 2 toilets in our house are exactly the same, but flush

with
greater force. Is there anyway to increase the force with which a

toilet
flushes?
Can I buy a different flush valve?

I have tried increasing the water level in the tank, no good. I

have
cleaned out the little holes inside the edge of the bowl, no good.

Thanks for any help/suggestions.

Richard J Kinch

Eric and Megan Swope writes:

Is there anyway to increase the force with which a toilet flushes?

It is analogous to a tuned LC circuit. You can't change the Q or the time
constant. If there's a restriction somewhere, you can clean that out.
Mike Grooms

"Eric and Megan Swope"

Try this experiment. As you flush the toilet, dump in a bucket of water.
If it flushes well, then the problem is that that bowl isn't bringing enough
water in fast enough to make it work. If it still doesn't flush well, then
the problem is in the bowl or soil pipe. Report your findings to the
plumbing newsgroup, and we'll provide additional suggestions.

Of course you can also post it on the DIYer board. That's always good
for a laugh or two.

J O E

Not all American Standard toilets are the same, assuming that all yours
are the same model, unless you bought them at the same time.

2 years ago, I purchased an A/S Cadet model - have had no problem with
it - and recently purchased another A/S Cadet for installation in the
powder room.

When I unpacked it, I found it to be different in design that the first
one I got 2 years ago.

Both look the same, but the newer one has a different size opening
outlet (larger) when viewed looking into the bowl.

On the underside of the bowl, the trapway outlet is the same size, but
the inside of the bowl is completely different in design.

I'm thinking that American Standard is constantly redesigning - even the
same model line - to improve flush characteristics.

Perhaps, although you say all 3 of your toilets are "exactly the same"
... the problem toilet is not as recent an aquisition as the others?

Or ... you may have a crack in the trapway - not necessarily visible -
and that will play havoc with its' ability to siphon properly.

Get an new one - they're not that expensive - I paid $127 for my Cadet,
bowl and tank complete.

BTW - the new Cadet I just installed will suck _you_ into the bowl if
you stand too close while flushing.

Joe

artinist

Here is a couple of useful links:

http://www.terrylove.com/crtoilet.htm
http://www.savingwater.org/docs/MapThirdEdition.pdf

i had a link to a site that had a list of the current "flush star"
rated toilets but i cant find the link. i remember i printed the page.
maybe the URL is on it. i will try to find it.

Dick

On 6 May 2005 15:38:04 -0700, "artinist"
wrote:

Here is a couple of useful links:

http://www.terrylove.com/crtoilet.htm
http://www.savingwater.org/docs/MapThirdEdition.pdf

i had a link to a site that had a list of the current "flush star"
rated toilets but i cant find the link. i remember i printed the page.
maybe the URL is on it. i will try to find it.

Here is the Flushstar list.
http://www.savingwater.org/docs/FlushStar.pdf

Here is another site with related information.
http://www.savingwater.org/inside_ba...toilettest.htm
Mike Grooms

"Eric and Megan Swope"

Try this experiment. Dump a bucket of water as you flush the toilet. If
it still doesn't flush well, then the problem is either in the bowl or the
venting or the soil pipe. If it does flush forcefully, then the problem is
in the tank or rim. Report you findings back to the plumbing newsgroup.

Of course, you can write the DIYers. They're always good for a few
laughs.

Can you get an 'S' shaped Flush Pipe for toilet? DIY Novice UK diy 4 September 2nd 04 03:07 PM
Lazy toilet flush tflfb Home Repair 2 July 8th 04 01:53 AM
toilet makes other toilet flush Spitfire 1500 Home Repair 3 June 7th 04 03:28 AM
Power Flush toilet problems William Lee Home Repair 1 December 25th 03 11:23 PM
Toilet won't flush without holding down handle Bob Greene Home Repair 4 October 26th 03 11:42 PM