Old May 1st 05, 04:38 PM
Bill

Yes this is fine and is very common.

And if I were a contractor wiring another persons house, I would install
cheap 15 amp switches and outlets on 20 amp circuits. -More profit for me!

For *my* house, it is a different story! I like long lasting quality. I
have installed "commercial grade" 20 amp outlets and switches on 20 amp
circuits. I did this because these are better quality switches and
outlets.

So if replacing an outlet (especially one which is frequently used), you
will have the option of installing a 50 cent outlet or a $2.50 commercial
grade 20 amp outlet. The $2.50 outlet will last longer and will make better
contact with the plug.

It makes my life more pleasant when I don't need to be bending the prongs
of a plug to get it to stay in a worn out outlet.

And so far as the 20 amp "commercial grade" switches go. Also better
quality.

If I were in your shoes, I would not go around replacing all the switches
and outlets since they are already installed. But if one needed
replacement, I would go with the higher quality 20 amp "commercial grade"
switch or outlet.

I also bought a $150.00 "commercial grade" front door lockset. (Can only
buy at a locksmith.) This will last a lifetime. I've known other people who
buy $30 locksets, then in ten years buy another because it is worn out $30
+ $30 = $60, then again in the next ten years $60 + $30 = $90, etc. $120,
$150. Hummm, I guess they spend the same on their locksets as I did on
mine, except I don't need to replace mine every 10 years....

"Eric and Megan Swope" wrote in message
Hi again. I started a new thread because the old one was getting filled

up.
Below are my basic questions I would like answered if someone could

please
help me out so I know if I have to go back and replace some switches

and/or
receptacles. Thanks.

I have 15 amp rated light switches on a 20 amp circuit. These
light switches in most cases control overhead lights (in a kitchen,

garage,
dining room). Is this alright, or do I need to use 20 amp rated light
switches?

Also, on a 20 amp circuit, I have 15 amp rated electrical outlets? Is

this
alright? Some of these outlets are controlled by a 15 amp light switch

as
well, is that alright? Thanks for any help.

Old May 2nd 05, 01:44 AM
Doug Miller

In article [email protected], "Eric and Megan Swope" wrote:
Thanks Rudy. I know from reading your post that your electrician used 20 amp
breakers with 12 gauge wire. I know 14 gauge wire can not be used on
anything over 15 amps, but I believe 12 gauge wire can be used on 15 amp
breakers with no harm correct?

That's correct. 14ga copper is the *minimum* for 15A circuits.

--
Regards,

Old May 2nd 05, 09:18 AM
Rudy

"Eric and Megan Swope" wrote in message
news:[email protected]
Thanks Rudy. I know from reading your post that your electrician used 20
amp breakers with 12 gauge wire. I know 14 gauge wire can not be used on
anything over 15 amps, but I believe 12 gauge wire can be used on 15 amp
breakers with no harm correct?

I assumed it could..they described it (12GA) as "overkill"
I didnt ask for the 20A breakers..they just ended up in there

Old August 13th 19, 12:44 PM posted to alt.home.repair
K2 K2 is offline

Default 15 amp rated light switch and outlets on a 20 amp circuit breaker

replying to Eric and Megan Swope, K2 wrote:
Just asked my electrician the same question, yes its legal and to code here in
Washington State to use multiple 15amp outlets on 12 wire and 20 amp breaker.
L&I inspector agreed and says its installed per code.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...br-648978-.htm

Old August 13th 19, 05:12 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 13 Aug 2019 11:44:02 +0000, K2
m wrote:

replying to Eric and Megan Swope, K2 wrote:
Just asked my electrician the same question, yes its legal and to code here in
Washington State to use multiple 15amp outlets on 12 wire and 20 amp breaker.
L&I inspector agreed and says its installed per code.

Switches should be sized to the load but 15a receptacles are actually
rated to pass through 20a. The listing on any equipment using a 15a
(NEMA 5-15) plug should be limited at 12a or 80% of 15a. I have seen
some non-compliant equipment but it is rare. Usually the labeling is
bogus, like those "1800 watt" hair dryers that are actually more like
1400w.