frank-in-toronto

On Fri, 29 Apr 2005 17:35:47 -0500, "HeyBub"
wrote:

Eric and Megan Swope wrote:
Hi again. I started a new thread because the old one was getting
filled up. Below are my basic questions I would like answered if
someone could please help me out so I know if I have to go back and
replace some switches and/or receptacles. Thanks.

I have 15 amp rated light switches on a 20 amp circuit. These
light switches in most cases control overhead lights (in a kitchen,
garage, dining room). Is this alright, or do I need to use 20 amp
rated light switches?

Also, on a 20 amp circuit, I have 15 amp rated electrical outlets? Is this
alright? Some of these outlets are controlled by a 15 amp
light switch as well, is that alright? Thanks for any help.

It's okay. Worse case, you put 19 amps worth of lights on the switch which
eventually melts causing a short which trips the circuit breaker.

it may be fine according to code, but if it were me, i would
change those 20 amp breakers to 15s. if there's a fire,
you'd have some splaining to do. and when you tell
the insurance man that you got your advice on an
internet newsgroup, his head will not stop shaking.
sideways. not up-and-down.
....thehick