Bill

Yes this is fine and is very common.

And if I were a contractor wiring another persons house, I would install
cheap 15 amp switches and outlets on 20 amp circuits. -More profit for me!

For *my* house, it is a different story! I like long lasting quality. I
have installed "commercial grade" 20 amp outlets and switches on 20 amp
circuits. I did this because these are better quality switches and
outlets.

So if replacing an outlet (especially one which is frequently used), you
will have the option of installing a 50 cent outlet or a $2.50 commercial
grade 20 amp outlet. The $2.50 outlet will last longer and will make better
contact with the plug.

It makes my life more pleasant when I don't need to be bending the prongs
of a plug to get it to stay in a worn out outlet.

And so far as the 20 amp "commercial grade" switches go. Also better
quality.

If I were in your shoes, I would not go around replacing all the switches
and outlets since they are already installed. But if one needed
replacement, I would go with the higher quality 20 amp "commercial grade"
switch or outlet.

I also bought a $150.00 "commercial grade" front door lockset. (Can only
buy at a locksmith.) This will last a lifetime. I've known other people who
buy $30 locksets, then in ten years buy another because it is worn out $30
+ $30 = $60, then again in the next ten years $60 + $30 = $90, etc. $120,
$150. Hummm, I guess they spend the same on their locksets as I did on
mine, except I don't need to replace mine every 10 years....

"Eric and Megan Swope" wrote in message
Hi again. I started a new thread because the old one was getting filled

up.
Below are my basic questions I would like answered if someone could

please
help me out so I know if I have to go back and replace some switches

and/or
receptacles. Thanks.

I have 15 amp rated light switches on a 20 amp circuit. These
light switches in most cases control overhead lights (in a kitchen,

garage,
dining room). Is this alright, or do I need to use 20 amp rated light
switches?

Also, on a 20 amp circuit, I have 15 amp rated electrical outlets? Is

this
alright? Some of these outlets are controlled by a 15 amp light switch

as
well, is that alright? Thanks for any help.