Eric and Megan Swope

Thanks Les. I know the house is wired correctly, 12 gauge on a 20 amp, 14
gauge on a 15 amp. The house is 40 years old, and when we bought it 2 years
ago, they only had the 2 prong outlets. I replaced them with 3 pronged
outlets, and used the same rating that was on the old 2 prong ones, 15 amp.
I just heard from others in this newsgroup that my outlets and switches
should match the breaker they are on (20 amp breaker, 20 amp rated switches
and outlets). I was lucky, I used the screw terminals, original electrician
left plenty of extra wire in the box, so it wasn't hard attaching the wire
to the screw terminal. I was more concerned for safety, especially since we
now have a 1 week old baby.

I know there are 15 amp rated switches and 15 amp rated outlets on a 20 amp
breaker. The 15 amp switches either control a 15 amp rated outlet, or
overhead lights (no more than one 100 watt bulb per switch). If my
situation doesn't create a fire hazard, I would certainly love to spend the
time with my new son, but if it is a safety issue, then I will have to
squeeze in some home repair time.

If you get a chance to give me your opinion again, I would appreciate it.

Let me rephrase...

#12 Romex = 20 amp circuit = 20 amp circuit breaker = use 20 amp rated
outlets/switches
#14 Romex = 15 amp circuit = 15 amp circuit breaker = use 15 amp rated
outlets/switches

#14 Romex is slightly thinner and somewhat more flexible and easier to
work
with than #12.

#12 Romex will not fit in a 15 amp outlet. #14 will fit in a 20 amp
outlet,
but it won' t be a tight connection (if it feels loose or has play in the
connection - you're using an outlet rated higher than the circuit).

You can run 15 amp outlets on a 20 amp circuit - no issues there, but for
the ease of wiring it up - it's best to use the outlet matched to the
circuit (I found this out the hard way when putting new outlets in a house
we just bought - our dining room is on a 20 amp kitchen circuit - was bit
of
a bitch connecting #12 wire to the screw terminals since I couldn't push
them into the holes made for #14 wire).

If you stay consistent with your wiring, it'll be easier down the road
when
you need to change out switches / outlets.

If your house was wired correctly - #14 Romex on the 15 amp circuits and

Romex on the 20 amp circuits, you'll find that you'll have a hard time
getting the #12 wire to fit in a switch or recepticle rated for 15 amps
if
you use the push terminals (and not the screws).

20 amp outlets and switches cost only pennies more than 15 amp ones.

Spend
the extra buck or two for the proper equipment and do it right the first
time.

If you find that you have #14 Romex on a 20 amp circuit - change out the
breaker for a 15 amp one.

All easy to do - but if you have misgivings or are unsure of things, have

licensed electrician do the work for you.

"Eric and Megan Swope" wrote in message
Hi again. I started a new thread because the old one was getting
filled

up.
Below are my basic questions I would like answered if someone could

please
help me out so I know if I have to go back and replace some switches

and/or
receptacles. Thanks.

I have 15 amp rated light switches on a 20 amp circuit. These
light switches in most cases control overhead lights (in a kitchen,

garage,
dining room). Is this alright, or do I need to use 20 amp rated light
switches?

Also, on a 20 amp circuit, I have 15 amp rated electrical outlets? Is

this
alright? Some of these outlets are controlled by a 15 amp light switch

as
well, is that alright? Thanks for any help.