Eric and Megan Swope

Thanks Tom. On the 20 amp circuit, the 15 amp light switch controls only
one 15 amp outlet, not more, so according to your response, this is
acceptable?

"HorneTD" wrote in message
nk.net...
Replies are in line

Eric and Megan Swope wrote:
Hi again. I started a new thread because the old one was getting filled
up. Below are my basic questions I would like answered if someone could
please help me out so I know if I have to go back and replace some
switches and/or receptacles. Thanks.

I have 15 amp rated light switches on a 20 amp circuit. These
light switches in most cases control overhead lights (in a kitchen,
garage,
dining room). Is this alright, or do I need to use 20 amp rated light
switches?

The fifteen ampere light switches are fine as long as the connected load
is fifteen amperes or fewer.

Also, on a 20 amp circuit, I have 15 amp rated electrical outlets? Is
this
alright? Some of these outlets are controlled by a 15 amp light switch
as
well, is that alright? Thanks for any help.

Multiple, i.e. two or more, fifteen ampere receptacles are fine on twenty
ampere circuits in US practice. Using a fifteen ampere switch to control
more than one fifteen ampere outlet on a twenty ampere circuit is not OK
because you would be using the switch to control loads that may be more
than it is tested to control. A fifteen ampere switch should not control
more than a single fifteen ampere receptacle on a twenty ampere circuit.
On a fifteen ampere circuit it would be perfectly acceptable to use a
fifteen ampere switch to control the entire circuit.
--
Tom H