Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
msterspy

Default Does GFI plug work with no ground wire?

Hi All: I have an older home which has a lot of wiring that is the
very old romex? with two wires (black and white) and no ground wire.
The bathroom has GFI outlets and I noticed that someone tied the bare
ground to nuetral (white) assuming this would be eventually connected
to ground. An electrician told me that this is bad because there can
be current flow in your nuetral side. (makes sense). Altough all of
my fixtures (lights etc) use plastic boxes and no fixture has ground
wire connected to it, I assume it is safe for now.
I was planning on disconnecting the bare gorund wire from nuetral.
Does that mean that the GFI outlet will no longer detect current to
ground?

These old houses are a real pan in the butt.