Doug Miller

In article , wrote:
Hi All: I have an older home which has a lot of wiring that is the
very old romex? with two wires (black and white) and no ground wire.
The bathroom has GFI outlets and I noticed that someone tied the bare
ground to nuetral (white) assuming this would be eventually connected
to ground. An electrician told me that this is bad because there can
be current flow in your nuetral side. (makes sense).

He's right. Neutral and ground are supposed to be connected in the service
entrance panel and _nowhere_else_. Anything otherwise is dangerous.

Altough all of
my fixtures (lights etc) use plastic boxes and no fixture has ground
wire connected to it, I assume it is safe for now.

I don't think I'd want to rely on assumptions...

I was planning on disconnecting the bare gorund wire from nuetral.
Does that mean that the GFI outlet will no longer detect current to
ground?

No. GFCIs operate by detecting an imbalance in the current flowing in the
black and white wires. The bare wire is not needed for proper operation.

These old houses are a real pan in the butt.

Ahhh, I dunno -- I think prior homeowners who try to do their own wiring
without knowing what they're doing are a much worse pain in the butt.

--
Regards,