Steve S.

Default Popcorn ceiling question

Our living room ceiling has popcorn texturing that has tested 5%
asbestos. We are aware of the wetting and scraping method of removal,
but we are still apprehensive about disturbing it and possibly tracking
it though out the house. Professional abatement services in our area are
very high priced for us right now.
I was wondering if covering the ceiling with thin dry wall (like 1/4
inch)and mudding and taping is a good alternative to removing the
texture. Has anyone done this themselves or hired a pro and had a good
result? I'm thinking that it might be difficult to maintain a flat even
surface due to the inconsistency of the texturing.
Thanks for any or experiences or insights.

Steve

JK

I haven't, but I've seen a house where they tried to do a knock down over
popcorn, and it looked terrible.

We did have a very heavy texturized wall (not popcorn, but more like
stucco), and paid somebody to float over it, and it looks really good. But
I'm not sure how it would look over popcorn.

"Steve S." wrote in message
Our living room ceiling has popcorn texturing that has tested 5% asbestos.
We are aware of the wetting and scraping method of removal, but we are
still apprehensive about disturbing it and possibly tracking it though out
the house. Professional abatement services in our area are very high
priced for us right now.
I was wondering if covering the ceiling with thin dry wall (like 1/4
inch)and mudding and taping is a good alternative to removing the texture.
Has anyone done this themselves or hired a pro and had a good result? I'm
thinking that it might be difficult to maintain a flat even surface due to
the inconsistency of the texturing.
Thanks for any or experiences or insights.

Steve

Edwin Pawlowski

"Steve S." wrote in message
I was wondering if covering the ceiling with thin dry wall (like 1/4
inch)and mudding and taping is a good alternative to removing the texture.
Has anyone done this themselves or hired a pro and had a good result? I'm
thinking that it might be difficult to maintain a flat even surface due to
the inconsistency of the texturing.
Thanks for any or experiences or insights.

It won't work well and may not stick to the popcorn very well. We scraped
ours. Most comes off with an simple scrape and a wet sponge. Just my
opinion, the asbestos in that form is not going to be harmful as there is
not dust to breath in when dampened.

m Ransley

If it was painted it may not scrape well even wetted without making dust
, even if it does repairs will be necessary and sanding dust. But
repairs with compound will be a mess. If you have fear, which is really
nothing wetted , then drywall.

SteveB

"Steve S." wrote in message
Our living room ceiling has popcorn texturing that has tested 5% asbestos.
We are aware of the wetting and scraping method of removal, but we are
still apprehensive about disturbing it and possibly tracking it though out
the house. Professional abatement services in our area are very high
priced for us right now.
I was wondering if covering the ceiling with thin dry wall (like 1/4
inch)and mudding and taping is a good alternative to removing the texture.
Has anyone done this themselves or hired a pro and had a good result? I'm
thinking that it might be difficult to maintain a flat even surface due to
the inconsistency of the texturing.
Thanks for any or experiences or insights.

Steve

We recently removed about 600 sf of popcorn. It is done by wetting
slightly, then scraping. Asbestos fibers are nastiest when airborne.
Wetting would help keep them from flying. A good respirator would be
advisable, too.

Mudding over the popcorn would be the worst thing. You would be adding a
lot of weight, and just asking it to fall off in clumps.

Steve

John Hines

"Steve S." wrote:

..
I was wondering if covering the ceiling with thin dry wall (like 1/4
inch)and mudding and taping is a good alternative to removing the
texture. Has anyone done this themselves or hired a pro and had a good
result? I'm thinking that it might be difficult to maintain a flat even
surface due to the inconsistency of the texturing.

You'll need 1/2" drywall to avoid that inconsistency you speak of. It
works fine otherwise. You can get 4 1/2' by 12' sheets of drywall to
minimize the number of joints that have to be mudded up.

Crown molding in the corner covers up the wall/ceiling joint, so you
don't have to mud that corner.

You'll want to be careful not to create a bigger problem with the taping
and mudding up of the ceiling, that is a lot of work.
Duane Bozarth

"Steve S." wrote:

Our living room ceiling has popcorn texturing that has tested 5%
asbestos. ...

Is there a real issue w/ the existing surface? Unless it's flaking or
otherwise being disturbed, the captured asbestos is unlikely to be an
issue.

Only as an airborne contaminant is asbestos a real problem.
Alan

On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 12:49:26 -0500, Duane Bozarth
wrote:

"Steve S." wrote:

Our living room ceiling has popcorn texturing that has tested 5%
asbestos. ...

Is there a real issue w/ the existing surface? Unless it's flaking or
otherwise being disturbed, the captured asbestos is unlikely to be an
issue.

Some people hate the look.

Steve S.

Yes - I hate the look. It ruins the lighting and gives a repressive feel
to the room.
I was just wondering if anyone has had it covered with drywall and had a
good result. And by that I guess I mean no hint that a cover up job was
ever done. No need to reply about wetting and scraping . . . I
understand that option.
Thanks-

Steve
wrote:

"Steve S." wrote:

Our living room ceiling has popcorn texturing that has tested 5%
asbestos. ...

Is there a real issue w/ the existing surface? Unless it's flaking or
otherwise being disturbed, the captured asbestos is unlikely to be an
issue.

Some people hate the look.

borgunit

I would just cover it with another layer of drywall as stated above.
That would give it the least distubance and seal it. I would note
that anyone you would sell to should know about it though.

Duane Bozarth

"Steve S." wrote:

Yes - I hate the look. ...

OK, just wanted to clarify it wasn't a case of paranoia the asbestos
driving the decision.