bill a

I think I would be inclined to either use plaster (applied by pros),
or cover over with 3/8 drywall.
bill a

"Steve S." wrote in message
Our living room ceiling has popcorn texturing that has tested 5% asbestos.
We are aware of the wetting and scraping method of removal, but we are
still apprehensive about disturbing it and possibly tracking it though out
the house. Professional abatement services in our area are very high
priced for us right now.
I was wondering if covering the ceiling with thin dry wall (like 1/4
inch)and mudding and taping is a good alternative to removing the texture.
Has anyone done this themselves or hired a pro and had a good result? I'm
thinking that it might be difficult to maintain a flat even surface due to
the inconsistency of the texturing.
Thanks for any or experiences or insights.

Steve