Alexander Litvin

Default Ground

Probably, stupid question: where does one buy ground cheaply?
And I mean just ground, not soil. That is, what kind of
contractor/firm should I look for?

The reason I'm asking is that I contacted couple of landscaping
contractors, but their prices (about $1000 -- and I need about
one truckload) -- seems expansive for just loading a truck with
dirt and dumping it on my backyard.

The reason we need that is because of dipping we have on our
backyard which tends to fill with water after even a moderate
rain.

Any ideas where one can get that stuff cheaply?

---
Signature has been removed to save disk space.

Goedjn

The reason I'm asking is that I contacted couple of landscaping
contractors, but their prices (about $1000 -- and I need about
one truckload) -- seems expansive for just loading a truck with
dirt and dumping it on my backyard.

Put an add in the paper for "clean fill", someone, somewhere,
is trying to get RID of some dirt. How much are you talking about?
Ralph Mowery

"Alexander Litvin" wrote in message
Probably, stupid question: where does one buy ground cheaply?
And I mean just ground, not soil. That is, what kind of
contractor/firm should I look for?

The reason I'm asking is that I contacted couple of landscaping
contractors, but their prices (about $1000 -- and I need about
one truckload) -- seems expansive for just loading a truck with
dirt and dumping it on my backyard.

The reason we need that is because of dipping we have on our
backyard which tends to fill with water after even a moderate
rain.

Any ideas where one can get that stuff cheaply?

You should be able to get the dirt for just about the price of hauling it.
Around 50 to 100 dollars a load if all they do is come out and dump it.

AutoTracer

Sounds like what you want is fill dirt. Basically soil with some small
rocks and sand mixed in. Generally the cheapest dirt because its mixture is
not controlled.

If by truckload you mean about 5-6 yards then expect to pay $15 per yard (or
ton if thats they way they want it) plus $40 -$75 delivery fee but you will
need to move it from the dump point to the site. Better soil or sand may
run as high as $35 a yard.

Look up rockery, garden supply or landscape supply. If you need less than
1/2 ton or a little less than a yard then a pickup truck will do. Because
of the delivery fee, less than 1 yard is better bought in bags from the
store.

If the $1000 quote does include labor to spread and grade, then thats
probably a fair price.

"Alexander Litvin" wrote in message
Probably, stupid question: where does one buy ground cheaply?
And I mean just ground, not soil. That is, what kind of
contractor/firm should I look for?

The reason I'm asking is that I contacted couple of landscaping
contractors, but their prices (about $1000 -- and I need about
one truckload) -- seems expansive for just loading a truck with
dirt and dumping it on my backyard.

The reason we need that is because of dipping we have on our
backyard which tends to fill with water after even a moderate
rain.

Any ideas where one can get that stuff cheaply?

---
Signature has been removed to save disk space.

Muff

Al, where are you? I'm in Tampa Florida and we pay between $7.00 to $10.00
for fill dirt delivered. I got a good deal last Saturday, a guy with a BIG
dump truck stopped by the new house I'm building and said he had this load
of top soil left over from another job and I could have it for $100.00, I
took it all 16 yards of it and he dumped it along the new driveway that I
was forming up. Kind of did a running dump so all I had to do was a small
bit of sulvling and raking.
Muff

"Alexander Litvin" wrote in message
Probably, stupid question: where does one buy ground cheaply?
And I mean just ground, not soil. That is, what kind of
contractor/firm should I look for?

The reason I'm asking is that I contacted couple of landscaping
contractors, but their prices (about $1000 -- and I need about
one truckload) -- seems expansive for just loading a truck with
dirt and dumping it on my backyard.

The reason we need that is because of dipping we have on our
backyard which tends to fill with water after even a moderate
rain.

Any ideas where one can get that stuff cheaply?

---
Signature has been removed to save disk space.

Alexander Litvin

Ralph Mowery wrote:

Probably, stupid question: where does one buy ground cheaply?
And I mean just ground, not soil. That is, what kind of
contractor/firm should I look for?

The reason I'm asking is that I contacted couple of landscaping
contractors, but their prices (about $1000 -- and I need about
one truckload) -- seems expansive for just loading a truck with
dirt and dumping it on my backyard.

The reason we need that is because of dipping we have on our
backyard which tends to fill with water after even a moderate
rain.

Any ideas where one can get that stuff cheaply?

You should be able to get the dirt for just about the price of hauling it.
Around 50 to 100 dollars a load if all they do is come out and dump it.

Right. Only question is where to find it. Probably should just
drive around to see if anybody's digging something.

Just about last fall somebody put a new house on the corner
of our street and they had a lot of spare ground after digging
basement. Should have thought about that at the time -- they
even drove past our house when removing it...

---
Signature has been removed to save disk space.

Joseph Meehan

Alexander Litvin wrote:
Probably, stupid question: where does one buy ground cheaply?
And I mean just ground, not soil. That is, what kind of
contractor/firm should I look for?

The reason I'm asking is that I contacted couple of landscaping
contractors, but their prices (about $1000 -- and I need about
one truckload) -- seems expansive for just loading a truck with
dirt and dumping it on my backyard.

The reason we need that is because of dipping we have on our
backyard which tends to fill with water after even a moderate
rain.

Any ideas where one can get that stuff cheaply?

---
Signature has been removed to save disk space.

You need clean fill, but I might suggest one possible problem. In many
areas, if you change the grade around your home, you may need the approval
of the local authorities. You will likely be OK as long as you don't change
where it leaves your property or block it from coming onto your property
from your neighbor.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia's Muire duit

"Probably, stupid question: where does one buy ground cheaply?
And I mean just ground, not soil. "

If you need one load of soil to fix a yard grading problem, it is
typically screened topsoil that you want. You want 6+ inchs of good
topsoil to grow grass or support plant beds, etc. and that's what needs
to be on top. Only if it's a big deep area that would require more
than a single load, that you'd go with fill material first, then finish
it off with topsoil.

JimL

On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 16:10:58 -0400 (EDT), Alexander Litvin
wrote:

Probably, stupid question: where does one buy ground cheaply?
And I mean just ground, not soil. That is, what kind of
contractor/firm should I look for?

The reason I'm asking is that I contacted couple of landscaping
contractors, but their prices (about $1000 -- and I need about
one truckload) -- seems expansive for just loading a truck with
dirt and dumping it on my backyard.

The reason we need that is because of dipping we have on our
backyard which tends to fill with water after even a moderate
rain.

Any ideas where one can get that stuff cheaply?

---
Signature has been removed to save disk space.

In my community,we call truckers. They run ads in the classifieds
and building and plumbing contractors also will let you know who to
call. We have something called green sheet that advertises several
truckers with 'sandy loam' etc. for sale. Delivered, it runs from $55
to $125 a load. I'm guessing from about 1 yard to 3 yards.

My neighbor bough a load of 1 yard and hauled about 30 wheelbarrows
from his driveway to his back yard and then told me I could have the
rest (about 1/2) just to get it out of his yard.