AutoTracer

Sounds like what you want is fill dirt. Basically soil with some small
rocks and sand mixed in. Generally the cheapest dirt because its mixture is
not controlled.

If by truckload you mean about 5-6 yards then expect to pay $15 per yard (or
ton if thats they way they want it) plus $40 -$75 delivery fee but you will
need to move it from the dump point to the site. Better soil or sand may
run as high as $35 a yard.

Look up rockery, garden supply or landscape supply. If you need less than
1/2 ton or a little less than a yard then a pickup truck will do. Because
of the delivery fee, less than 1 yard is better bought in bags from the
store.

If the $1000 quote does include labor to spread and grade, then thats
probably a fair price.

"Alexander Litvin" wrote in message
Probably, stupid question: where does one buy ground cheaply?
And I mean just ground, not soil. That is, what kind of
contractor/firm should I look for?

The reason I'm asking is that I contacted couple of landscaping
contractors, but their prices (about $1000 -- and I need about
one truckload) -- seems expansive for just loading a truck with
dirt and dumping it on my backyard.

The reason we need that is because of dipping we have on our
backyard which tends to fill with water after even a moderate
rain.

Any ideas where one can get that stuff cheaply?

---
Signature has been removed to save disk space.