orangetrader

Default How to attach rack to the studs

I have a metal rack that is 24" wide and 48" tall, it is a metal modular
rack with various attachments - hooks, shelves, knobs etc...and has four
attachment holes on the vertical edges of the frame. Ideally I would like
to attach drill four screws through the holes into the wall studs. But of
course the studs are 16" apart, and I can't even position it such that one
side of the frame will match up with the frame because I like to center it
and align it with a door adjacent to it such that when the door is fully
opened it will cover up the rack on the wall.

I can use toggle bolts but I don't think the drywall will have enough
strength. I thought about cutting two pieces of wood and mount it
horizontally into the studs above and below, and then screw two vertical
pieces to them to form a frame, but this will not be symmetrical.

Any idea?

mwlogs

I was with you until you screwed the vertical pieces to the horizontal ones.
What are these for? Just screw the two horizontal pieces across two studs,
then mount your rack to them. I assume your rack has two holes at the top
and two at the bottom? Space your horizontal pieces so they are as far
apart as the holes and you should be set.

At 24" wide your pieces may not be centered over the studs, but you'll still
get screws into two studs if they the studs are 16 o.c.

"orangetrader" wrote in message
I have a metal rack that is 24" wide and 48" tall, it is a metal modular
rack with various attachments - hooks, shelves, knobs etc...and has four
attachment holes on the vertical edges of the frame. Ideally I would like
to attach drill four screws through the holes into the wall studs. But of
course the studs are 16" apart, and I can't even position it such that one
side of the frame will match up with the frame because I like to center it
and align it with a door adjacent to it such that when the door is fully
opened it will cover up the rack on the wall.

I can use toggle bolts but I don't think the drywall will have enough
strength. I thought about cutting two pieces of wood and mount it
horizontally into the studs above and below, and then screw two vertical
pieces to them to form a frame, but this will not be symmetrical.

Any idea?

orangetrader

The optimum position would be for the rack to center over one of the studs,
so from there, 12" each way I cannot reach two studs. I can only screw into
one stud so the horizontal pieces will not be too secured. Not sure if I am
making sense.

"mwlogs" wrote in message
[...]

1. Install blocking between studs.
That's probably too much disruption.
2. Attach two horizontal members to the face of the wall.
They can be attached to the studs and give anchorage for the rack.
3. Rabet four boards and build your frame.
That would allow attachment to studs or plenty of surface to attach to
the gyp bd.
TB

HeyBub

orangetrader wrote:
[...]

The toggle bolts - in your configuration - will hold several hundred pounds.

Steve Manes

On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 22:23:58 -0500, "orangetrader"
wrote:

I have a metal rack that is 24" wide and 48" tall, it is a metal modular
rack with various attachments - hooks, shelves, knobs etc...and has four
attachment holes on the vertical edges of the frame.
I can use toggle bolts but I don't think the drywall will have enough
strength. I thought about cutting two pieces of wood and mount it
horizontally into the studs above and below, and then screw two vertical
pieces to them to form a frame, but this will not be symmetrical.

Any idea?

How about mounting the rack to a 24x48 sheet of 3/4" birch or hardwood
plywood? Add some banding or picture frame moulding around the
plywood edge and stain/paint it. Then you can fasten the plywood
wherever you want, guaranteed to hit at least one stud.

Steve Manes
Brooklyn, NY
http://www.magpie.com/house/bbs
Wayne Whitney

On 2005-04-01, orangetrader wrote:

The optimum position would be for the rack to center over one of the
studs, so from there, 12" each way I cannot reach two studs. I can
only screw into one stud so the horizontal pieces will not be too
secured. Not sure if I am making sense.

Could you extend the horiztonal pieces to 32" in length, so that they
can go into three studs, and then attach the rack to them? Not sure
if that would look OK.

Cheers, Wayne

blueman

"orangetrader" writes:
The optimum position would be for the rack to center over one of the studs,
so from there, 12" each way I cannot reach two studs. I can only screw into
one stud so the horizontal pieces will not be too secured. Not sure if I am
making sense.

PLEASE DON'T TOP-POST - it makes it hard to follow the thread.

In answer to your concern, you could just extend the horizontal rails
beyond the width of the rack so that they cut across 2 or more studs
(and are centered on the rack if that is needed for appearances)
John Hines

"orangetrader" wrote:

I can use toggle bolts but I don't think the drywall will have enough
strength. I thought about cutting two pieces of wood and mount it
horizontally into the studs above and below, and then screw two vertical
pieces to them to form a frame, but this will not be symmetrical.

Close,

Cut a piece of plywood, the size of the unit or bigger as needed.
Install where you want it. Strongly secure where the ply happens to
cross the studs. Secure the unit to the plywood.

Depending on the problem your trying to solve, anything from 1/4" up to
13 ply 3/4" Baltic Birch plywood can be used, a nice plywood could be
stained and finished.
orangetrader

"John Hines" wrote in message
"orangetrader" wrote:

I can use toggle bolts but I don't think the drywall will have enough
strength. I thought about cutting two pieces of wood and mount it
horizontally into the studs above and below, and then screw two vertical
pieces to them to form a frame, but this will not be symmetrical.

Close,

Cut a piece of plywood, the size of the unit or bigger as needed.
Install where you want it. Strongly secure where the ply happens to
cross the studs. Secure the unit to the plywood.

Depending on the problem your trying to solve, anything from 1/4" up to
13 ply 3/4" Baltic Birch plywood can be used, a nice plywood could be
stained and finished.

I am sorry, I think my description was inadequat for you all to visualize
this.

I would like the rack to be fastened exactly two inches from the corner of
that wall. The reason is that there is a 28" door on the other side of the
corner which when I open that door and swing it around the corner it will
just cover the rack completely.

Two inches from the corner. Measure 24" will make the other side of the
rack 26" from the corner.

There is a stud at 16" from the corner, than another one at 32". Therefore,
if I make a horizonatal piece of wood member 24" wide to match the rack, it
will only cover the first stud at 16" from the corner. The next stud will
be 32" from the corner, 6" beyond the end of the rack. Only one stud will
be crossed.

Now, what if I extend the wood to 32"? That means the rack when fastened
will have 6" sticking out on the right and 2" sticking out on the left side.
Not good. I cannot even find the stud on the left side.

This will be the same problem whether I use plywood or wood strips. I
cannot figure out a way to cross two studs and yet still mount the rack
symmetrical with the door.

John Hines

"orangetrader" wrote:

"John Hines" wrote in message
.. .
"orangetrader" wrote:

[...]

What about the one where the wall corner is? the rack sitting a few
inches away from that one. (I think)

Now, what if I extend the wood to 32"? That means the rack when fastened
will have 6" sticking out on the right and 2" sticking out on the left side.
Not good. I cannot even find the stud on the left side.

This will be the same problem whether I use plywood or wood strips. I
cannot figure out a way to cross two studs and yet still mount the rack
symmetrical with the door.

Plywood is better than individual boards, since it distributes the load
vertically, like if it is screwed in top and bottom.

Is the load that heavy that lag bolting a piece of wood on to it, isn't
enough? Wouldn't that, along with a couple of butterfly (? the ones
that spread out behind drywall) anchors hold the board, which will
distribute the load spreading the load out over multiple anchors, and a
bigger area of drywall.

Otherwise

Replace the drywall with plywood. re assemble and repaint.

Install additional studs and bracing as needed.

Build the cabinet in.
Steve Manes

On Fri, 1 Apr 2005 22:18:04 -0500, "orangetrader"
wrote:
There is a stud at 16" from the corner, than another one at 32". Therefore,
if I make a horizonatal piece of wood member 24" wide to match the rack, it
will only cover the first stud at 16" from the corner. The next stud will
be 32" from the corner, 6" beyond the end of the rack. Only one stud will
be crossed.

So it's only attached to one stud. That's the advantage of using a
24x48 sheet of plywood. You'll drive several screws vertically
through the plywood and into that one stud. Unless you're going to be
hanging several hundred pounds on that rack this will suffice.