Platebanger

Default Attach studs to basement wall

Hi Folks, I'm looking for the best way to attach 2X4 studs to a cement
basement wall. I plan on painting the wall with a moisture barrier paint
(DRYLOCK) then installing the studs, Ridged foam insulation between then a
vapor barrier, then drywall.

Any suggesting would be welcomed.
Thanks
Dick

Duane Bozarth

Platebanger wrote:

Hi Folks, I'm looking for the best way to attach 2X4 studs to a cement
basement wall. I plan on painting the wall with a moisture barrier paint
(DRYLOCK) then installing the studs, Ridged foam insulation between then a
vapor barrier, then drywall.

Any suggesting would be welcomed.

Flat or normal orientation? If flat, a dab of adhesive and
powder-actuated fastener--exact type, charge depends on whether it's
poured concrete or block.

Personally, I pefer to simply frame the wall on the floor and tilt it up
in place for sections that are accessible, just like framing a normal
wall...attach toe plate (treated if on concrete floor) to floor and top
plate to joists or blocking...
Speedy Jim

Platebanger wrote:
Hi Folks, I'm looking for the best way to attach 2X4 studs to a cement
basement wall. I plan on painting the wall with a moisture barrier paint
(DRYLOCK) then installing the studs, Ridged foam insulation between then a
vapor barrier, then drywall.

I offer this alternate, FWIW.
It won't be to everyone's taste:

I Drylocked the block wall,
then glued rigid foam to block wall,
then glued drywall to the foam.

Absolutely rigid. You can run into the wall
head first and not damage the drywall!
No gaps in the insulation and no fasteners
to break up the block.

You *do* need to give attention to installing
utilities behind the wall though.

Jim
Percival P. Cassidy

I spaced my "false wall" about 1/2" away from the existing concrete wall
(already treated by a previous owner with DryLok or something similar)
with a sheet of heavy plastic sheeting in between (just in case) and
attached it to the floor and the joists.

BTW, I used 2x6 studs to get the extra thickness (and corresponding
higher R-value) of insulation: R-19.

Perce

On 02/05/05 11:02 am Platebanger tossed the following ingredients into
the ever-growing pot of cybersoup:

Platebanger wrote:

I'm looking for the best way to attach 2X4 studs to a cement basement wall.

A little spray foam from a can?

Nick

Tony Hwang

Percival P. Cassidy wrote:
I spaced my "false wall" about 1/2" away from the existing concrete wall
(already treated by a previous owner with DryLok or something similar)
with a sheet of heavy plastic sheeting in between (just in case) and
attached it to the floor and the joists.

BTW, I used 2x6 studs to get the extra thickness (and corresponding
higher R-value) of insulation: R-19.

Perce

On 02/05/05 11:02 am Platebanger tossed the following ingredients into
the ever-growing pot of cybersoup:

Hi Folks, I'm looking for the best way to attach 2X4 studs to a cement
basement wall. I plan on painting the wall with a moisture barrier
paint (DRYLOCK) then installing the studs, Ridged foam insulation
between then a vapor barrier, then drywall.

Hi,
R19 on a baement wall? Wow!
Tony
m Ransley

Tapcons work well

Rich

"Platebanger" wrote in message
Hi Folks, I'm looking for the best way to attach 2X4 studs to a cement
basement wall. I plan on painting the wall with a moisture barrier paint
(DRYLOCK) then installing the studs, Ridged foam insulation between then a
vapor barrier, then drywall.

Any suggesting would be welcomed.
Thanks
Dick

I used Remington Power Fasteners, but only used 2x3 studs.

http://www.masterdist.net/rempat/476.html

http://rermag.com/news/equipment_single_shot_tool/

http://www.coastaltool.com/cgi-bin/S...htm?E+coastest

rnr_construction

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message
Percival P. Cassidy wrote:
I spaced my "false wall" about 1/2" away from the existing concrete wall
(already treated by a previous owner with DryLok or something similar)
with a sheet of heavy plastic sheeting in between (just in case) and
attached it to the floor and the joists.

BTW, I used 2x6 studs to get the extra thickness (and corresponding
higher R-value) of insulation: R-19.

Perce

On 02/05/05 11:02 am Platebanger tossed the following ingredients into
the ever-growing pot of cybersoup:

Hi Folks, I'm looking for the best way to attach 2X4 studs to a cement
basement wall. I plan on painting the wall with a moisture barrier paint
(DRYLOCK) then installing the studs, Ridged foam insulation between then
a vapor barrier, then drywall.

Hi,
R19 on a baement wall? Wow!
Tony

Try to get a permit and you will be saying WOWSER WOWSER WHOOOOOOHIE.
The code now is R -21 in Wa. state
its a higher density insulation for a 2X6 inch stud.

willshak

On 2/5/2005 11:02 AM US(ET), Platebanger took fingers to keys, and typed
the following:

Hi Folks, I'm looking for the best way to attach 2X4 studs to a cement
basement wall. I plan on painting the wall with a moisture barrier paint
(DRYLOCK) then installing the studs, Ridged foam insulation between then a
vapor barrier, then drywall.

Any suggesting would be welcomed.
Thanks
Dick

I placed a plate on the floor and used a power gun (.22 cal) with
concrete nails to secure it. You don't need a lot of nails.
I then nailed up a top plate to the joists, making sure it was plumb to
the bottom plate. Then installed studs 16" OC between the plates and
toenailed them in.

--
Bill

Basement framing advice - 16 vs 24 inch stud wall [email protected] Home Ownership 1 January 25th 05 09:21 PM
Drilling and bolting to basement wall Ben Hockenhull Home Repair 7 January 4th 05 04:37 AM
insulating a wall Rick Dipper UK diy 10 August 6th 04 09:33 PM
HELP: partition wall frames for basement Ajit Joshi Home Repair 2 November 7th 03 01:37 AM
Concrete retaining wall issue revisited. Pat Keith Home Repair 14 August 20th 03 10:35 PM